MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my shield for over a year now and find it works quite well. It is reliable, accurate, and soft recoiling in 9 mm. The only problem that I have experienced with this pistol is that the thumb safety is at times, difficult to disengage. Sometimes it works quite well if my thumb is perfectly placed, but other times it requires me to reposition my thumb and fiddle with it till I can get the safety to go down. I think the Shield safety is incredibly poorly designed! Smith & Wesson engineers could benefit from taking a serious look at the thumb safety on the Ruger SR9c or CZ82/83 pistols. Of this is only of interest to those who want an off switch on their concealed weapon. For me, this deficiency will likely lead to replacing this gun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I find what works best for me is to put the safety to off and never touch it again. If the no safety model was available when I bought mine, that is what i would have, S&W saw the error of their ways and made them without a safety...Why? Because they are not necessary. The safety is not an issue that I need to trade or sell my Shield to get one without it. I like it stiff and hard to move, that means I don't have to worry about it being accidently turned on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find what works best for me is to put the safety to off and never touch it again. If the no safety model was available when I bought mine, that is what i would have, S&W saw the error of their ways and made them without a safety...Why? Because they are not necessary. The safety is not an issue that I need to trade or sell my Shield to get one without it. I like it stiff and hard to move, that means I don't have to worry about it being accidently turned on.
Chief, I think that is the best possible answer. I really wanted a thumb safety like a 1911 as a secondary back up. The Ruger SR9c does a nice job with the safety. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the stiff action too. What I am proposing is something like the Ruger SR pistol. The safety is low profile and shaped like a two sided pyramid. You hand or clothing brushes right over the top without moving the safety. Both the slide lock and disassembly lever are fine, but the thumb safety profile on top is too low IMO. I have good photo of the Ruger safety, but not sure how to post on forum, using I-Pad.t

·
Site Staff
9,636 Posts
For some reason that feature isn't working right now, the tech guys have been advised and are supposed to be working on it.

In the meantime, using the instructions on the page linked to below, use the very first method, it is still working.

http://mp-pistol.com/announcements/42343-how-post-photo.html

Here's an example of posting with that method

·
Premium Member
All guns M&P !!
520 Posts
I have 3 Shields with the thumb safety.. they work fine, work as intended the same every time .... I think maybe u need to make a visit to the doctors office and have him check your thumb out, sounds like something is wrong with it..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopefully here's a photo
I have 3 Shields with the thumb safety.. they work fine, work as intended the same every time .... I think maybe u need to make a visit to the doctors office and have him check your thumb out, sounds like something is wrong with it..
Of course you know that is not a helpful response. Since you have three of these little rascals, perhaps you have some constructive input. Think about,you may have a good idea......really, I am willing to try your suggestion.

How are you doing it? Do you use the edge of you thumb? Or do you shift your grip and use the first part of the thumb?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
None of my four M&P's have a TS. I wouldn't have bought them if they did.

I do have one striker fired pistol that came with an ambi TS; it belonged to my mentor.

I never engage the TS when carrying it.

FYI: IDPA does not require that the TS on any striker fired pistols be used when shooting in their matches.

That tells me that they're plenty safe without a TS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm 60+ and have little trouble with my safety. Perhaps some rust inhibitor or cutting oil got in the safety area and gelled, shoot some Kroil or Liquid Wrench in there work it in. If that fails there may be a burr or metal filing binding the safety. Try one or two other Shields for comparison, if your gun is markedly different send it back to S&W for repair. If your safety feels the same, just work it on/off a couple of hundred times. It should smooth out.
BTW if there was an enhanced safety lever on the market I would buy it right now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had my shield for over a year now and find it works quite well. It is reliable, accurate, and soft recoiling in 9 mm. The only problem that I have experienced with this pistol is that the thumb safety is at times, difficult to disengage. Sometimes it works quite well if my thumb is perfectly placed, but other times it requires me to reposition my thumb and fiddle with it till I can get the safety to go down. I think the Shield safety is incredibly poorly designed! Smith & Wesson engineers could benefit from taking a serious look at the thumb safety on the Ruger SR9c or CZ82/83 pistols. Of this is only of interest to those who want an off switch on their concealed weapon. For me, this deficiency will likely lead to replacing this gun.
Don't know how mechanically inclined you are or if you would even want to get into the internals of your shield. The safety bracket has some sharp edges on it where it engages the sear blocker. If you went in and used some 400 or 600 grit sand paper you could probably go in and round off the sharp edges of the of the safety bracket and get it to work easier for you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The Safety on my Shield is easier than the one on my Bodyguard 380. No complaints with either of them.

·
Premium Member
All guns M&P !!
520 Posts
Of course you know that is not a helpful response. Since you have three of these little rascals, perhaps you have some constructive input. Think about,you may have a good idea......really, I am willing to try your suggestion.

How are you doing it? Do you use the edge of you thumb? Or do you shift your grip and use the first part of the thumb?
Actually I do think it is a constructive response. Why does it have to be the fault of the gun? Everyone else seems to have no problem with it. Based on that observation, I would come to the conclusion, that you may have a physical issue feeding your problem. I just don't see anything that mechanically would lead me to the issue being the TS. As for how I release the TS, I just slide the side of my thumb down the side of the slide from the top of the TS, while exerting pressure on the slide so that I catch the top of the TS.. It easily releases every time.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I flick it off every morning when the gun goes from the bed stand to the holster. One in pipe safety off so IF I Should NEED the weapon it is in the "ready" state when drawn.
If for some reason during the day I need to remove it from the holster the safety is engaged at that time and disengaged as it goes back.
Trigger discipline is enforced as well.
I Have had no issues engaging or releasing the safety on the weapon since new. It was stiff out of the box but freed up shortly.

I Live For Myself and I Answer to No One.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just drag my thumb across it, seems to work fine.
Update: Made a point to look at this during a 3hr range session today.

I sweep the inside of my thumb knuckle on it when gripped. Most convenient that my knuckle hangs on it on the way down.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts