MP-Pistol Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm 60+ and have little trouble with my safety. Perhaps some rust inhibitor or cutting oil got in the safety area and gelled, shoot some Kroil or Liquid Wrench in there work it in. If that fails there may be a burr or metal filing binding the safety. Try one or two other Shields for comparison, if your gun is markedly different send it back to S&W for repair. If your safety feels the same, just work it on/off a couple of hundred times. It should smooth out.
BTW if there was an enhanced safety lever on the market I would buy it right now.
good ideas here. I've been working the safety as I draw the pistol
and it is getting a bit smoother. I'm also using the front part of my thumb while temporarly adjusting the grip. With practice, it is working out pretty well and seems to be totally reliable. The shield is really a very nice CCW.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I flick it off every morning when the gun goes from the bed stand to the holster. One in pipe safety off so IF I Should NEED the weapon it is in the "ready" state when drawn.
If for some reason during the day I need to remove it from the holster the safety is engaged at that time and disengaged as it goes back.
Trigger discipline is enforced as well.
I Have had no issues engaging or releasing the safety on the weapon since new. It was stiff out of the box but freed up shortly.

I Live For Myself and I Answer to No One.
with your trigger discipline enforced and a proper holster which covers the trigger guard area this should be an excellent adaptation to the shield pistol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Actually I do think it is a constructive response. Why does it have to be the fault of the gun? Everyone else seems to have no problem with it. Based on that observation, I would come to the conclusion, that you may have a physical issue feeding your problem. I just don't see anything that mechanically would lead me to the issue being the TS. As for how I release the TS, I just slide the side of my thumb down the side of the slide from the top of the TS, while exerting pressure on the slide so that I catch the top of the TS.. It easily releases every time.
I really like the Shield as a pistol. I think your point that most have adapted to the safety has validity. Therefore, I've been working on a procedure which works very well and is quite reliable. So issue is solved. I do appreciate your input, it did help to motivate.

Not trying to be stubborn here, but I do believe that Smith & Wesson could do a lot better job with the Shield thumb safety. Take a look at the Ruger SR 9c which has a better design. Heck, look at the slide stop on the Shield itself. Some of features on the Shield are superb. The grip is just perfect, the shape is just right and grip surface the best. It's very soft shooting in 9mm and the sights are just as good as a service pistol but still low profile. Overall, the shield shield it's a very good value.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Small gun designed for CC close body carry putting large buttons on the TS and SL would be kinda counter productive.
Everything on the gun was designed to be compact and no obtrusive.

I Live For Myself and I Answer to No One.

·
Registered
15 Posts
safety

I guess the safety must have specifically been designed for my thumb, I find the side of my thumb knuckle hits the safety perfectly, so I can quickly drag my thumb over it to disengage, but can't re-engage it as easily.

Compared to my Ruger LC9S, which has a larger safety that sticks out farther, but is positioned about a quarter of an inch further forward. So I have to use the edge of my thumb forward of the knuckle which isn't a problem with the larger safety BUT I can also re-engage it as easy. Also, if both pistols were bouncing around in a glove box unholstered, the Ruger could accidentally go off safety before the Shield. Points to S&W for their design.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Criticism of the safety seems fair to me. I have no great like or dislike of it but I will say when it was new, the thin metal was a real pain. I think it could have been designed to give a more positive purchase and still keep the awesomely thin overall width. And complaints get taken into consideration, so just maybe the next version is just a bit better :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi,

New here so this will be my first post. I can function the TS, but it's not as easy as other firearms and considering the nature of the pistol it is understandable.

I'm stuck behind enemy lines in California so I am limited to the CA compliant variant with LCI and MDC. I simply removed the LCI, MDC, and the TS then blocked it with an old floppy disk affixed via Gorilla glue. 1k rounds later and daily carry = Zero issues.

Tadaaaaaa:

Gotta do what I can with what I have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Of course you know that is not a helpful response. Since you have three of these little rascals, perhaps you have some constructive input. Think about,you may have a good idea......really, I am willing to try your suggestion.

How are you doing it? Do you use the edge of you thumb? Or do you shift your grip and use the first part of the thumb?
Very good answer. The safety sucks.
Of course you know that is not a helpful response. Since you have three of these little rascals, perhaps you have some constructive input. Think about,you may have a good idea......really, I am willing to try your suggestion.

How are you doing it? Do you use the edge of you thumb? Or do you shift your grip and use the first part of the thumb?
Good for you! The safety mech is poor.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts