MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been carrying and shooting IDPA with a S&W 3rd Generation pistol for many years. All my 3rd Gen pistols have a factory installed decocker-only, in place of the standard decocker/safety. It is a factory option that I find works very well for me . It resembles the SIG decocker system.

Anyways, I am having trouble making the transition to an M&P. First, let me tell you that I enjoy shooting my MP9 very much. But I cannot get used to the "half-cock" trigger. I am always wanting to pull the trigger to release it when I am finished shooting (meaning that I want to de-cock it).

Anyone else having difficulty adjusting to the trigger system in the M&P? How do you over come that?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Time and practice. 2000 repetitions is the agreed-upon number for the human mind and body to reliably remember a series of actions on demand. You just have to remind yourself at the end of the string that you're using a striker-fired gun now. Most RO's want to see you pull the trigger anyway. Don't consider it a bother, but a new learning experience. The differences are why weapon familiarization is so important to begin with.

Finish your string, drop mag, lock open the slide, show clear, close slide, pull trigger a few times to satisfy the RO, and holster. If they need to hear the striker drop, then add in a visual inspection of an empty mag and use it to activate the gun to drop the striker. A piece of wood also works. I know my RO just has us close the slide and pull the trigger a few times to show it's got a mag-disconnect. The layered safety is a good part of IDPA.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Fiero,

I removed my mag disconnect safety lever today per the Dan Burwell instructions today. It took me only 20 mins to do.

Replace the original spring with a cut down 1911 mag catch spring. Ordered one through S&W for .50 cents.

Unlike you and the range you shoot at, having the mag safety was a real PITA with a RO I had at a match this summer. I used me middle finger up the mag well to hold back the lever. I also did the trigger job, the gun is more accurate for me now.

Where do you shoot at around here for USPSA ?

Jeff

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Ted -- this is a classic case of "Dr., it hurts when I scratch my nose!"

Just don't!

I shot TDA pistols with decockers for about ten years before coming to the M&P. It took me time before I was used to dismounting the gun without hitting the decocker lever. I never used the trigger to decock the gun (which is a bad habit to get into, anyway) except at matches. The "unload & show clear" procedure at a match really shouldn't be a subconscious act, anyway, since you're supposed to be paying attention to make sure your gun is clear. So just consider it something new to keep your attention on what you're doing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2000 attemps, thats not so bad.... lets see, 2000 take downs times 17ish rounds per take down, devided by 100 rounds in a box times 11 bucks a box.... thats only $3,740 worth of ammo!! not bad
just practice, like not racking the slide on your semi-auto shotgun. maybe do a couple drills of only 5 rounds in your mag and conciously think about what your doing. this will get more practice for less ammo.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Jeff 9mm M&P said:
Fiero,

I removed my mag disconnect safety lever today per the Dan Burwell instructions today. It took me only 20 mins to do.

Replace the original spring with a cut down 1911 mag catch spring. Ordered one through S&W for .50 cents.

Jeff

That's what I'm going to do...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts