MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an EZ9 with some feeding issues. But, getting better. Bought a Shield 9mm, 3.1 inch barrel. Hard as heck to lock back when disassembling. I know they say it will get better. But, also heard it said not that much. This one is near impossible for my hands to lock it back. I went to my gun shop to pick up ammo and they had my Shield and a Shield 2.0 Compact 9mm. Both were much easier. The Shield like mine was no issue and the 2.0 didn’t seem much different. Thinking of trading mine in for the 2.0 with the 4 inch barrel.

I don’t think mine will ever get that easy.

Any thoughts,

Thanks

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I have been very careful on that. I had it locked open the last couple days and tried it tonite. Seemed a little better. Relocked it back open and then tried again an hour later. Could barely push the slide back enough to release slide lock to bring slide forward. Seemed stuck. It has done that before. Think I just got too tight a spring for my arthritic hands. Not sure it will ever loosen up enough for me. Going to stop by the gun shop tomorrow and see if the 2.0 Compact 4 inch is still there. If so, will retry manipulating slide and if it still seems much easier will buy it. I wanted this gun to begin with. But, they are so hard to find. Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
The Shields do have a stiff recoils spring. It will not change much. If they are too hard for you to operate then move on to a gun you can operate.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks claymore504

Kinda what I was looking for. Folks who have had at least a few months experience with the Shields stiff spring or other guns with them.

My thought and what some others have said. If it loosens up much in a short time, how loose will it be in a year. I may be wrong as I am new to handguns.

·
Registered
107 Posts
rugmankc, Glad I could help. I have 3 Shields, a Gen 1 9mm, M2.0 9mm and 45. My Gen 1 9mm I purchased a couple years after they came out. I don't remember the recoil spring getting much softer before replacing over the years.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Traded in the Shield 9mm and got the 9mm 2.0 Compact 4 inch barrel.

Love it.

Cleaned it up and got Range time tomorrow.

Not much harder to manipulate the slide than my EZ9.

Thanks for the inputs----

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good to hear that you got one you can actually use. Although you could have bought a HandiRacker, it is frustrating to have a gun with a recoil spring that is just plan too stiff for you to use without an aid.

I have a Glock 42 that I used to love shooting, but with a few more years and advancing arthritis it is miserable for me now. It will be gifted to my 27 year old granddaughter who won't notice the strength of that recoil spring at all - just as I didn't when I bought it brand new six years ago.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It was GREAT Rick

Handled my 147g hollow points as it should. Very easy to rack/manipulate. I like the 15 round mags. My grouping was very good with it. Not a Marksman. But, for a guy with bad arthritis and cataracts that has the front site blurry I did really well. Most were in a 6 inch circle center torso. Even a few bullseyes. Only 15ft though. I thought recoil was very manageable. Not much different than my EZ9. Guess the 4 inch barrel helps with that.

I also really like the trigger. Has a little more play before the trigger actually engages than my EZ9 or the Shield 9mm I traded in. But, I like that. Just seems more natural for me.

Very happy I was lucky enough to find a brand new one at my gun shop.

My EZ9 had one FTF out of 4 mags. So, it has been doing quite well compared to the first few trips to the Range. It is now my backup in case the new one ever needs repair. I still will take and shoot both. 😃

1 - 10 of 10 Posts