Discussion Starter #1
press

does any body have experance with dillon square deal press

thinking of getting one for x-mas so that i can shot more

funds a very low right know thanks to 3.00 gallon gas

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
that is actually the press I use right now.. What questions do you have?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how easy is it to set up ? i have never reloaded before but i have read abc reloading book and lyman reloading book

what extras would be best to buy for as scales

case tumbler , do i need to buy case trimmer : i measured a few fired cases and they where still in spec. do i really need a case trimmer ?

thanks jester

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
killer said:
how easy is it to set up ? i have never reloaded before but i have read abc reloading book and lyman reloading book

what extras would be best to buy for as scales

case tumbler , do i need to buy case trimmer : i measured a few fired cases and they where still in spec. do i really need a case trimmer ?

thanks jester

case trimmer: No, you'll never need one, I shoot all my brass till they split, then let them lay. The brass will actually get shorter.

Setting up: That can be confusing, but if you read the book that comes with it, and reread it, it can be done, I can give you my phone number if you need help in that area.

Tumbler: yes. get a small one and keep it running, or get a big one and save up the brass to fill it up and run once, your call.

I use a lyman http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=317981

this one is a great buy, then get some walnut or corncob media toss it in, and get some alum polish(liquid) and toss in, and tumble.

Scales: yes. Go on ebay and get a set, or get a set new, midway has some good ones, you just need one that you can zero and be constant. Once you get the dillon setup you prolly woln't have to touch the powder.

I went through 3 books on reloading, found a powder I liked: unique, and then loaded light. I think about 5% of what they reccomended and worked up. I tested with a chrono, but you don't need that. I load to what federal hydrashok 155 gr's run so that I'm used to the recoil.

To cut costs:

Brass: Brassman has brass cheap, or look for people to send you theirs for the price of shipping.

Powder: I shopped around, unique is a powder that you only use a small amount of, its cheap to begin with and everyone has it. The less powder you use, the more reloads per LB of powder. Buy in 8 lb or larger containers it saves about 20$(and sometimes if you pay cash)BULK

Primers: easy there. Dealers usually give price breaks on 5000 or more. 1k is about 18$ I can get 5k for 12-15$ a thousand. I use CCI but you can choose your favorite. BULK

Bullets: here is the real cost of reloading. you can get rainier plated from midway in bulk: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=798453

or you can go straight cast bullets for even cheaper. Indoor ranges insist on at least plated due to lead fumes.

Any more questions, lemme at'em

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
for s decent cheap scale, you can't beat the lee. It's cheap, adjustable, and once you tweak it, consistant.

The scale is fine tuned via a brass thumbwheel. This can be knocked around while handling it in normal use. To make the scale very repeatable, jsut fold up some paper and wedge it between the wheel and the frame of the bar. This provides enough friction on the thumbwheel that it stays put unless you really touch it.

It was looking good when copper dived nearly a bucka pound. It has gained most of that back though.

hopefully it was jsut demand and people stockpiling affter getting hit in the family jewels by prices in the last 2 years.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: press

killer said:

The Dillion square deal presss uses only Dillon Dies and only pistol calibers. The Dillon 550b or 650 can use other manufactuer dies and can also load rifle bullets. Other manufactures dies can be utilized to correct certain problems. Example: (1)If you load glock fired 40/10mm/45 brass which is everyhere, you will not be able to get the bulge out of the brass with a Dillon sizing die. You will need the Lee sizing die. (2) Redding competition seating die with the micrometer adjustmenst gives more exact OAL easier, but cannot be used with the square deal press. I would save a little more and get the 550b or 650 and have more options with Dies.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dillon's SDB is my only press. I purchased it in 2000. I have loaded about 18,000 rounds between 9mm, 38 Special and 45.

The SDB is easy to set up --Read the set-up manual and go slow--

Dillon's support is great, if you have any part that breaks or wears out they will replace it for free.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I also have the SDB. Broke a couple parts and wore out a couple others.

Called Dillion, they sent replacements for free.

I waned to purchase spares, but they told me if you call and request 1, you get it for free.

It was at my door in a few days.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have one too, setup for 45ACP. Dies should be calibrated from the factory so its pretty easy to setup. Its a good press if you loading jsut one caliber or just pistol calibers. When I first got it it seem a little on the small side, tiny dies, small openings to feed cases and bullets. Its definately compact.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't have the SDB but I do have a Dillon 550B and a 650XL. My advice is to get the dillon. Thier customer service is the best around. If you have any problems , the solution is just a call away.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
Got my Dillon RL550 in 1985, I am totally sold on Dillon, they aren't cheap, but they will last almost forever, and they set the high benchmark for customer service.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: press

killer said:

I thought long and hard when buying my press. It was going to be a Dillon for sure, I knew that, but was torn between the square deal "B" and the RL550B. I was thinking of money too. The SDB would be okay I'm sure if you only expect to load pistol bullets. However, I would give serious consideration to buying the RL550B instead, on which you can load pistol and rifle bullets.

Yo don't need to trim cases on pistol brass.

Cabelas always has a good (sale) deal on tumblers and cleaning media (polish and corncob stuff).

I have yet to buy an electronic scale, but instead initially purchased a Dillon balance beam scale. You only really need to mess with the scale when you are changing the powder charge. So, why spend the extra on an electronic scale? I never used a scale of any kind (other than a bathroom scale
, but it was not hard to figure out how to use.

Dillon has the lifetime no B.S. warranty of course.

Good luck, and READ THE BOOK and ask losts of questions when setting it all up. After you get familiar with how it works, how it goes together makes a lot more sense and is simple. I am NOT mechanically inclined at all, I'm a banker, and I figureed it out.

You will really enjoy making your own re-loads. But, again, I'd go with the 550B over the SDB. This is an INVESTMENT and the little bit more thatn the 550B costs over the SDB will seem like nothing a year from now.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
That's probably the major point, the Square Deal B is limited to pistol calibers only, while the 550 can be used for both,. so if you buy a Square Deal B and want to reload rifle cartridges, you will have to buy another press.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts