MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
you should have caught as soon as you read NEW YORK CITY... Not condemning her, but she will some day wish she had, what she once did have, but now denounces.... Karma is a lady....

·
Registered
660 Posts
I really like that she makes her family and ex out to be gun crazy rednecks. Why do I feel the details were slightly "embellished"? One thing is for sure. She ain't NO TEXAN.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I enjoyed the piece. It was honest and well written. The author clearly has mixed emotions about her relationship with firearms and what they represent to her due to her having been brought up with them and then having move to NYC. However, she certainly does not condemn them and she acknowledges the pleasure of shooting.

Regarding the comment that she "ain't no Texan"... give me a break. I grew up up in Texas and lived there until the age of 29. My family still lives there and, frankly, I miss Texas every day. The author of article seems quite Texan. She is stong willed, independent, honest with herself about herself and not afraid to be honest about who she is. In other words, she is a straight shooter. This is a trait any Texan would be proud of.

You don't really think that all men and women in Texas love guns, own at least ten each and use they back yard ranges every evening, do you?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm a displaced Texan myself. Being a military brat I can honestly say its the only place I've ever felt home. Is she stong willed and opinionated, yes. But when I read this piece I feel like she is putting down her parents. Especially when she talks about how her dad is pretty much a gun nut...and when she found a pistol under the passenger seat that her parents thought they "lost". Has anyone in here ever brought a pistol into their car and lost it? It's just my personal opinion that she adapted to the liberal ways of New York to be more accepted...as a result she turned on something that most people in that city hate. Oh yeah, I know that not all women in Texas like guns. My wife was rated as the 16th best teenage shooter in america while in highschool. She shot postals in NJROTC. Much to my suprise she has no love for guns and would prefer I not have so many. But hey she has jewerly she never wears. I'll never have a gun I don't shoot!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have to agree with 5shot on this one. I agree with the last thing she said. I'm not saying that we all need guns to feel safe, but I think we can all agree that life would be a little better if we lived in a world where we didn't feel safer having a loaded firearm on our hip. Don't get me wrong, I love to shoot, and I plan on getting a CCW permit, but the world would be a better place if we didn't need guns for personal protection.

That being said...praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Fire1 said:
Is she stong willed and opinionated, yes. But when I read this piece I feel like she is putting down her parents.

I read this a while ago. That's the exact oppsite I took from it.

WHat I got out of it was that she did what the people she hung out with in texas exepcted of her then, and she does what people she hangs out with in NYC expect of her now. Doesn't strike me as particularly strong willed.

The fact that she thought that was great then, and this is great now doesn't exactly say "I've got an opinion of my own" either.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I guess you're a product of your environment. I moved from rural Idaho to Eugene, Oregon and people think that having more than one gun is out of place. Having CCW makes you "paranoid" here. In Idaho it's pretty common.

Funny thing this is the only place that I've ever come close t using one. Had a black out drunk neighbor outside my apartment threatening to kick in the front door and teach us a lesson. All because my roommate turned down his invitation to brawl on the way in the front door. The cold metallic sound of the slide on my M&P 45 changed the guy's mind on that. Anyway I'm glad that I had it. I didn't want to tell the guy that wasn't a good idea or verbally threaten him so the sound of my slide was a quick and definitive end of the conversation, no other words were spoken on my end. I didn't want to fight off an angry drunk with a tire iron or baseball bat.

I'm glad I had my M&P and I guess if it were New York City I could have used the sound of me sharpening my kitchen knife, but I think the .45 has a more dramatic effect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Whatever

That article couldn't have been painted any more colored in her *new* view of the world.

All the while she made it seem like she was just as big a nut as all the other people in her life (as if she was unelightened at this point of her life). Yes... gun owners are irresponsible, tequila drinking, forgetting where we keep all of our stashed arms kind of people. Yeah... you can just sense her oozing respect for firearms. Somehow I bet the picture she paints of her parents and the former boyfriend would not be equal to the impression you get of them if you meet them in real life.

To each their own. This is America and she can opine to her hearts delight. It is the type of piece that the PC liberal media love to see in print. I tend to think I'd like to hang out with her parents and previous boyfriend more than her. They at least seem to know who they are.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Heck, I'm a Texan and we use the barrels of our loaded handguns, when we can find them, as shot glasses for our tequila while we're shooting in our backyard ranges. Oh, like that is wrong.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Funny thing, I know lots of women that shoot on a regular basis here in Texas. My wife is one of them. She's a pretty sophisticated lady in a high tech profession. She usually has two guns within easy reach when out and about in the car and at least one on her person. This little liberal wanna be has adapted to her new environment and embraced the anti philosophy. The Brady bunch will soon have her giving testimonials with her better than her upbringings attitude.

After living in Texas most of my life, I'd rather shoot myself than ride to work in a crowded suway anyway! I've been to N.Y.C. many times. Not impressed with the City but the rest of the state is pretty nice!:roll:

·
Registered
308 Posts
snscott said:
Heck, I'm a Texan and we use the barrels of our loaded handguns, when we can find them, as shot glasses for our tequila while we're shooting in our backyard ranges. Oh, like that is wrong.

LOL

tsix

·
Registered
937 Posts
What is it about big cities that make people instantly think they are the safe-havens in a dangerous world? I'm not saying that's what this author thought, but I've heard the "oh, it's not as bad as that" comment from a few people.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts