MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my "G19 sized" M&P compared to my fullsize. Holds 14 +1 without any magazine spring modifications. I also reduced the beavertail slightly. I think it looks very proprtionate to the slide length to the point where the fullsize feels long in the grip now. Sorry for the crappy pics.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I love it. Can we see a closeup of the back of the grip without the insert? I'm also curious to see what you did with the grip tool.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll try to take more detailed pictures with the magazine out and the backstrap off tonight.

I cut down the grip tool then chucked it up in a drill press to make a mini-lathe. I shaved down the diameter of the tool until it fit snug into the grip. Its pretty secure with just the tension but I also I have it held in with silicon sealant. Its very secure but I can still pull it out with some effort. Dan Burwell suggested using a compact grip tool, but I have the fullsize tool working fine. I may get some acraglas and make a new retention nub later on, I've shot a couple IDPA matches with it and its holding strong for now.

It carries REALLY nice!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice pictures and work. No problem with the grip getting slippery on you, I'll bet.

Jim

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATED WITH NEW PHOTOS!!!

Thanks again for the positive comments. I've been busy at work so I haven't had a chance to take anymore photos. I'll try to take some detailed pics this weekend. I used a heated up #11 exacto knife blade to make the horizontal line stippling on the backstrap. It looks better in person, almost like a coconut husk pattern.

OK, I was able to take some shots at work. This one show a better view of the gun.

Here is the mag out of the gun.

Here is the backstrap disassembled. I had to radius down the grip tool and cut and contour the backstrap. I've tried several methods to secure the grip tool since the nub is gone. If you look close my grip tool has a sharp point on it. I put a bead of silicon seal in the channel and let it dry. the pointy tip on the grip tool pierced the silicon and it stays on pretty good. I don't really change the backstrap but I'm sure taking it on and off repeatedly will make it not grip as well but yoiu can always put another bead of silicon.

Here is a good view of the magwell and where the gun was cut. I cut my magazine first at .53 ...then using a hacksaw (you could use a dremel) I cut the grip slightly under so I could use the beltsander to level the grip further. You need to leave that little shelf so the grip tool will have something to hold on to and you have a nice flat base. I actually had the inside of the magwell bevelled and really smoothed out but alot of dryfire reloading practice scuffed it up. If you chose to use the compact mag tool you may need to angle the back of the grip upward.

Hardest part is cutting and welding the mags, the rest is just balls to hackup a new gun! Special thanks to Dan Burwell who conceptualized the chop with me and by shooting buddy Eric who did the metal work on the magazines.

·
Registered
225 Posts
So, Dan. Since you were the technical consultant you gonna offer this service?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Wilsoncreek said:
So, Dan. Since you were the technical consultant you gonna offer this service?
The easy answer is yes. it won't be cheap as it is fairly labor intensive when it comes to the mags. Anyone interested can email/PM me for details. I will get some pics up of the one I did. I just got a new camera I have to figure out how it works.

I have been carrying mine now for about a month now and love it. Luvsmy40 has a special mag sleeve on the way to me for my spare mags.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The grip is simple... .but could you outline what you did with the magazine? How do you disassemble it?

thanks....

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mags are the hard part. You need access to a welder. We had it all planned out and cut the mag on a mill leaving small tabs that were to be heated and bent for the baseplate to slide back onto. One side went fine but the other snapped off. We ended up just spot welding it back on. It doesn't look as clean but its strong and its holding up fine. If you're in a state that is limited to 10 rounds its really easy. Just use the factory 10 rounders that have the plastic bottoms. cut it with a saw and put a new basepad on it. I made a few of these for IDPA.

The grip is simple... .but could you outline what you did with the magazine? How do you disassemble it?

thanks....

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a perfectly good pistol with a short grip such as this - an HK-USP compact. I traded that pistol for a FS M&P because its grip was too short for my size XL hand.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mags are the hard part. You need access to a welder. We had it all planned out and cut the mag on a mill leaving small tabs that were to be heated and bent for the baseplate to slide back onto. One side went fine but the other snapped off. We ended up just spot welding it back on. It doesn't look as clean but its strong and its holding up fine. If you're in a state that is limited to 10 rounds its really easy. Just use the factory 10 rounders that have the plastic bottoms. cut it with a saw and put a new basepad on it. I made a few of these for IDPA.

I'm sure I'm missing something but why not just chop the grip to the same size as a compact 9mm and use compact mags?

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'm sure I'm missing something but why not just chop the grip to the same size as a compact 9mm and use compact mags?

The goal here is to get a grip length somewhere between the compact and full size. Say about the length of the .45 compact. Some with large hands find the compact grip too short even with the pinky extension base plate. I have to say the .45 compact is the perfect size grip for me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The goal here is to get a grip length somewhere between the compact and full size. Say about the length of the .45 compact. Some with large hands find the compact grip too short even with the pinky extension base plate. I have to say the .45 compact is the perfect size grip for me.

Now I get it. Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts