MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 686P back in August, and it came with an internal lock. I have put over 1200 rounds through the weapon so far and no problems. I keep hearing that S&W revolvers aren't what they used to be and that the locks can cause problems. This was my first gun, and I really had no choice if I wanted a new gun. I just want to know if I should get rid of it soon, or keep it and trust it. It shoots well--very accurate and smooth. ::Shrug::

It also has a frame mounted firing pin, only a few failures to fire---cheap ammo with hard primers, but it's far and few in between. The pin dented the primer well enough just no boom. It happens on one brand in particular that one range sells (can't remember the name as I don't buy it anymore). The Federal target ammo works perfect every shot either .38's or .357--never a problem.

Ciao,

Effy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Keep the 686P and enjoy it. Smith and Wesson makes the best wheel guns!

I have a 586 and its a very good shooter.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, and I will keep it. It's my bedside gun because of proven reliability, ease of use, accuracy, and can be used as a club when out of ammo. ;> It also looks menacing. ;>

Ciao,

Effy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Many people don't like the lock more for what it represents than what it does. The lock represents simply another attempt to control our weapons. The lock itself, while I would rather not have it on the gun, would not prevent me from buying any of the new model guns. I have a TR model 22 in 45ACP that has the lock and I love the gun. No problems with the lock or anything. I think the lock is just as apt as any other mechanical part to failure and the chances of it happening are slim in a quality weapon. Smith & Wesson Wheelguns RULE!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts