MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm feeling the need for an M&P in .45. I am finding some with decent finishes now but none with good triggers. At least the triggers are not crunchy through the pull and hard at the end anymore just hard at the end. In other words I'm seeing pretty smooth pull backs but then a rather hard press to get the trigger to release fully. Hard enough that I can see the front sights moving. I'm a long way from being a pistol noob btw so its not my trigger stroke. I have tried alot of M&P .45's with the same result. My .40 was fine out of the box and smoothed even better after a few hundred rounds. I don't want a trigger job because I don't believe I should need one out of the box plus I compete with my self defense guns and don't like to change much on them. So any words of advice on this?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The trigger on my M&P 45 was one of the crappiest I have ever felt out of the box. It smoothed out a lot and lightened a little just with dry firing before I ever shot it. After putting a few hundred rounds through it and LOTS of dry firing, the trigger is superb. It is still a tad heavier than a Glock trigger, but it is smooth, breaks cleanly, and has a much more positive reset than it did out of the box. Again, the reset is not as positive as you would get with a Glock, but I prefer the trigger feel on the M&P. I was thinking about getting a trigger job originally, but I have no intention of fooling with it at this point.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Allrighty. I think I'll pick one up today, clean and lube, and put a few hundred rounds through it. I'm just in that kind of mood...;-)

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have found that the trigger pulls will drop around 1/2-1 lb. in the first 1000 rounds of shooting. They stay pretty much the same after that.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
You can always have/do some trigger work!! The grit will dissipate with 500-600 rounds/dry fire.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have a 9mm compact and the fullsize. Both had beautiful trigger pulls right from the box. Yesterday I was comparing my compact to the fullsize trigger pull. My compact has several hundred rounds through it and the fullsize maybe 100 rounds. I couldn't feel any difference at all.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was referring to the .45 which seems to have an especially stiff trigger pull out of the box compared to other models.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My MP45 actually had a very good trigger straight out of the box. I was more than surprised.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 45 needed some break-in. I really like it after 350 rds fired. It's not a 1911, but it is very good. I was considering trigger work, but I am highly satisfied with what I have. When dry firing, there was a 'boing' sound much like the Gl*ck. Not any more, I'm good! 8)

·
Registered
45 Posts
My .45 was a little gritty when new , now that I have about 2,000 rds through it it has really smoothed out , Im very happy with it still not one problem and am going out in the morning to run 1,000 rds in a couple of hours with friends help.

Will update.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Steelshooter, I know you were referring to the .45. Its the same trigger mechanism, why would it act any differently as far as break in than any of the other calibers? I was just supplying a simple answer to a rather simplistic question.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Steelshooter said:
I'm feeling the need for an M&P in .45. I am finding some with decent finishes now but none with good triggers. At least the triggers are not crunchy through the pull and hard at the end anymore just hard at the end. In other words I'm seeing pretty smooth pull backs but then a rather hard press to get the trigger to release fully. Hard enough that I can see the front sights moving. I'm a long way from being a pistol noob btw so its not my trigger stroke. I have tried alot of M&P .45's with the same result. My .40 was fine out of the box and smoothed even better after a few hundred rounds. I don't want a trigger job because I don't believe I should need one out of the box plus I compete with my self defense guns and don't like to change much on them. So any words of advice on this?

My trigger had a little grit that has disappeared. I like the design of the M&P trigger because the trigger safety does not make a hole in my finger like my Glocks had done in long practice sessions.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Steelshooter said:
I was referring to the .45 which seems to have an especially stiff trigger pull out of the box compared to other models.

You are not alone. The ones that I have handled did have not as good triggers as the 40's I have shot. It is the only thing that has held me back getting one so far (that and I want a compact 45).

The one I played with was an early pre-release (that's what the S&W rep said anyway). Perhaps they have gotten better?

Gonna recheck them out tomorrow. Really like the rebate/mag deal going on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts