MP-Pistol Forum banner

Do you carry a gun that has had trigger work performed on it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods please let me know if it makes you mad to have poll here, and you can delete the poll if you'd like. I would like to have the discussion in CCW please. The poll was an afterthought.

I did a little polishing on my internals a while back. I did not remove any metal from the sear or firing pin block. My groups got a lot better instantly.

My friend shot my 9c at the range the other day and looked at me like I had 6 eyes and lava pouring out of my nose or something when he had finished the mag. He couldn't believe that I would carry a gun with "such a light trigger". I do not think the pull is much lighter than stock, but I will check that now as soon as I can find someone with a gauge. BTW, this guy has been carrying for years and is well versed in CCW and guns in general. He is actually the guy that got me into hand guns.

I understand the possible legal ramifications of carrying a modified pistol, no need to discuss that again here. That was one of his concerns, the main concern being the safety of my groin, thighs, etc.

All I ask is yes or no and why. If others want to talk about the possible legal ramifications, then that's fine but those two words are a good enough answer for me (legal ramifications).

Thanks in advance for all of your insight and advice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My trigger work on my MP40 dropped the pull from around 7lbs to 4lbs. My Kimber had a 4lbs trigger from the factory. I don't think that any DA is gonna turn a good shoot into a bad shoot in court based on a 4lbs trigger.

If you are justified in using deadly force, you are justified in using any kind of deadly force. Gun with 12 lbs trigger, gun with 2lbs trigger, knife, garden hoe, backhoe, car, etc.

If you are not justified in using deadly force, then you can't use deadly force.

The fact that I can shoot more accurately with a 4 or 3.5 lbs trigger means that I can stop the threat quicker and with less danger to other bystanders.

I like a 3.5lbs trigger and not lower because it gives me a good reset and is achievable in all my guns without a lot of tweeking and high dollar parts. Since I shoot in competion the same guns that I carry every day, I don't have to learn different triggers for different uses.

Thanks, Gringop

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel much the same way about it. There are A LOT of people out there that insist that if you alter your pistol in ANY way (including cosmetic changes) you could go to jail forever. I do not feel that way but some people do. I've even read that you shouldn't carry a gun with a intimidating name (python was the example).
It goes on to ammo (only use what your police dept. uses) and everything else. Heck, my PD uses 124 gr 9mm +P+! I would never use +P+ in a semi. Anyway.

That is why I said that we don't need to talk about all of that here unless someone really wants to. I've already made up my mind about that obviously. I was just wondering how many of you guys are carrying "with mods".

I do know that people look at me like I'm a magician at the range when I pull my target in and they see the compact polymer sitting there. Only since the trigger work though, I wasn't nearly as good with it before that.

edited to add: hey! Ima sharpshooter now! Woot!

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
At 6.5lbs, there is some room to work on the stock M&P trigger. I am not authorized to carry anything under 4 lbs so as long at it is not under that I have no problem carrying a gun with a modified trigger. My USP has a match trigger and I can carry it. It barely passed inspection as the SA pull came out right at 4lbs. I haven't decided if I want the trigger on my M&P worked on so its still stock...for now.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, Cali has trigger weight restrictions? That's not surprising. Under 4 lbs is bad for a CCW IMO anyway. I like DA best for carrying (had to put up the snubbie when I got the M&P though). Maybe one day I can afford a Para carry 9 for hot weather CCW. Sorry, drifting.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Aside from cost, my biggest fear with having any trigger work done on a CCW is that some a-hole District Attorney out to make Political Points would use it against me if I ever have to use it to defend myself (like the guy charged with murder because he was obviously a blood-thirsty lunatic simply because he was carrying a 10mm with "cop killer" hollowpoints).

I just don't want to give them anything like that to latch on to.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Of course, I carry mine everyday with my standard trigger job. You didn't think I would say no did you!

I am a believer that if the shooting is justified it is justified.

I also believe that if having a gun with a trigger job makes you shoot it more accurately then you have made the gun safer for the community, not more dangerous, and a good attorney can make this point for you in a court.

·
Registered
141 Posts
How many rounds should you put through an M&P before you have a trigger job done?

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
hmm, I didn't put any in on my 2nd 40...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh, BTW beautiful piece Jester (except for all of that ugly stippling) hehe. I'll have to make sure my 9c doesn't see those pics in fear that it will try to hump the computer monitor.

Somehow I knew Dan's CCW would have - ahem - a little work done to it... :twisted:

thedude, I'd say if it's your first M&P, put at least 1000 through it before you decide that it even needs a job. Some people think that a broken in trigger is just fine. I'm a tweker though and I have to mess around with everything. Cars, computers, guns, the house, lawnmowers, tools, girlfriend, pets, nothing is safe from me. :twisted:

·
Registered
763 Posts
WHile this might be SLIGHTLY off-topic i think it fits well enough to go in this thread.

What is everyone's feeling about trigger jobs on a Home Defense gun? I'm considering a triggerjob for my mp9 to help me become a better shooter. I don't carry outside the house (not by choice) so my question is: Do you think that you COULD/WOULD be put under the same scrutiny as someone who used deadly force in public with regards to a weapon that has been modified (trigger job)???

Or (this is what i tend to believe) becuase you are in your home it doesn't matter if you use a competition gun w/ a 2# trigger or a DAO with 12# pull???

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
chef, I'd say do a $300 trigger job on your M&P so that it will have a pump and shoot 12 ga buckshot.

Seriously, 12 ga is better than 9mm for HD. Heck, get a 20 ga if you don't like the recoil.

That said, a trigger job will not get you put in jail, especially when applied to a HD scenario IMO. I am afraid of a 9mm in the house due to overpenetration. www.theboxotruth.com

The 9mm is a little easier to take outside if you have neighbors within eyeshot but it's too much too worry about IMO. Getting woke up, finding the gun, finding the BG, getting a sight picture, wait, my kid is back there too. Gotta move. I say screw it, get some #4 shot and worry less, shoot more.

I don't think Maryland has laws like TX and FL where you can use a grenade launcher on someone that turned around in your driveway but it shouldn't matter what you use, just shoot to stop the threat, don't empty the mag unless it's necessary.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I agree that a shotgun is preferable to any pistol in any gunfight scenario, but having just bought my M&P9 and trying to shoot it as much as possible i'm a little short on funds for a new shotgun. I also like the fact that it's easy for my wife to shoot and can be kept by my side all the time, whether on the nightstand, under the coffee table or in my lap on the couch. As far as ballistics go, i keep it loaded with 115gr. golden sabers specifically b/c the light/fast 9mm don't penetrate like the 147's or as far as 45's for that matter. I do live in a townhouse, so it's legitimate concern, but that's why i go to the range as often as i can to hit what i'm aiming at.

Back to the original topic, iagree that in your own home it probably doesn't matter what you're shooting them with if they come in looking to do harm to my family. Just wanted to hear someone else's opinion.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
chefdog said:
but having just bought my M&P9 and trying to shoot it as much as possible i'm a little short on funds for a new shotgun.
I know what you mean. Ammo sure is expensive these days (yes even 9mm).
I like the M&P for HD too. It is a lot easier to get a hold of. Mine stays nest to the alarm clock with the 17 rnd mag in it now. I didn't like the flashlight I tried on it tho. My brother's XD was really easy to reach and it was not as easy the M&P. I only tried one that they had.

.....I do live in a townhouse, so it's legitimate concern, but that's why i go to the range as often as i can to hit what i'm aiming at.
hehe, It gets pretty easy with this thing doesn't it? I can't believe how accurate I am getting with mine. I think pretty soon I'll be getting groups like I was with my SA loaded 9mm 1911.

·
Registered
910 Posts
chefdog said:
WHile this might be SLIGHTLY off-topic i think it fits well enough to go in this thread.

What is everyone's feeling about trigger jobs on a Home Defense gun? I'm considering a triggerjob for my mp9 to help me become a better shooter. I don't carry outside the house (not by choice) so my question is: Do you think that you COULD/WOULD be put under the same scrutiny as someone who used deadly force in public with regards to a weapon that has been modified (trigger job)???

Or (this is what i tend to believe) becuase you are in your home it doesn't matter if you use a competition gun w/ a 2# trigger or a DAO with 12# pull???

Thanks for any input.

My home defense gun is currently a Glock G19 with Crimson Trace Lasergrips, TLR-1 flashlight, and will very shortly have a big Trident 9mm or Evolution 9mm suppressor(silencer) on it so I don't wake our daughter. It will also have trigger work done, and some other stuff. Sure if I ever have to use it I may be made out to look like a hitman, but I'm not concerned with that. I'm more concerned with protecting my wife, daughter, and myself... and not scaring the ever living jesus out of them if they're sleeping.

If you want to see my carry gun check out this thread or this one. Needless to say it has a few things done - including trigger job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts