MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I shoot at the range I usually take 200 rounds for my M&P 40. Should I let the gun cool down after a couple clips or can I just shoot through the 200 without any cool down period ? I don't rapid fire, just one shot about every two seconds.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
You can get a gun too hot, but you would probably quit shooting it before it got to that point, the heat would make it hard to hold on to. When I'm shooting I always take more than one gun, then alternate so they don't get too hot. If you only have one you just need to pace yourself, take a break from time to time to let it cool down.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I helped put 3K rds. through a .40 last year in an effort to stop the gun. It took us about 2 hours, stopping only after each 10th mag for a shooter change and a temp reading. Didn't seem to hurt the gun any, it never choked, but a lady cop singed her hand on the chamber.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Welder said:
I helped put 3K rds. through a .40 last year in an effort to stop the gun. It took us about 2 hours, stopping only after each 10th mag for a shooter change and a temp reading. Didn't seem to hurt the gun any, it never choked, but a lady cop singed her hand on the chamber.

Holy Crap thats freaking awesome. I'm impressed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welder said:

So my little 200 rounds in about 20 minutes shouldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
77 Posts
icecoldtexan said:
So my little 200 rounds in about 20 minutes shouldn't hurt anything.

We were putting the rounds downrange rapidly in order to get the gun hot; hitting the gong wasn't our primary goal. Shooting fast does not always translate to shooting well...

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
When I was on my quest to hit 1000 rounds through my new compact it got hot enough to burn my thumb.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
My M&P-9 frequently gets hot enough that the takedown lever burns my thumb, too. It's never caused any trouble ... except, obviously, for the burn on my thumb!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You can anneal the barrel. That's about it. Which is one reason why I don't clean my guns often. Using a fast hot powder like titegroup, and shooting fast, it gets pretty hot. So I don't subject it to bore brushes if it doesn't really need it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MTech said:
What's a clip? :oops:

:wink:

From Websters dictionary :

Anal Retentive:

One who is excessively insistent upon the smallest detail of something, usually through ignorance or taking things too literally.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
imprecise |ˌimpriˈsīs|

adjective

lacking exactness and accuracy of expression or detail : the witness could give only vague and imprecise descriptions.

icecoldtexan said:
[quote name='MTech']What's a clip? :oops:

:wink:

From Websters dictionary :

Anal Retentive:

One who is excessively insistent upon the smallest detail of something, usually through ignorance or taking things too literally.[/quote]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts