MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
I do.

If I only want to be able to shoot my pistols at the range then I can guarantee my glasses will allow me to see the front sights on my pistols.

In the real world my glasses might not be on my face when I need to shoot a handgun so a pistol without a red dot won't be easy to hit someone with unless they're close enough to hit me with a thrown brick. With the red dot it's easy to see a blurry dot without my glasses and easy to hit the target by putting the blurry dot on the target.

I know defensive pistols aren't just range guns and my eyes aren't what they used to be.

I still have back up iron sights on my pistol just in case I do have my glasses on and the red dot malfunctions. Just like I carry a spare magazine on me and a couple more in the door pocket of the car. Just in case I need them. It's why you carry a handgun. Just in case. If you were expecting trouble you wouldn't go there in the first place or you'd carry and rifle and take a bunch of friends/buddies with you.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I have one rifle, and one pistol, with dot sights.

I don’t use pistol sights until I get beyond 10 yards, so I certainly don’t “need” a dot sight. I actually won’t have one on a carry gun, as iron sights are too slow, and dot sights even more so.

Threat focused pistol shooting is the best thing that I’ve found as my eyes have gotten older. The target’s always in focus, and my shots go where I want them to.

This is 17 rounds at seven yards from my old M&P9, as fast as I could pull the trigger, shooting threat-focused. That’s just like it sounds; not looking at the pistol at all (which is below my line of sight), much less the sights; shot from the 3/4 hip position:

Rectangle Grass Font Gas Electric blue

·
Administrator
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice shooting.

I have used them on rifles for decades. I am not a fan of magnified optics. I prefer 1x optics.

But on handguns - I'll stick with fiber optic sights for now.

Until I get even older, the fiber optics have solved my problems for my eyes to see the dots. I love the color combo of red/green that S&W uses on their performance center models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts