MP-Pistol Forum banner

Do you shoot JHP at the range?

• Yes...This is the only ammo I shoot.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No...I don't use JHP at all.

• I shoot whatever ammo I can load in the magazine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you shoot JHP at the range?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Don't use JHP on steel at short yardage cause it can bounce back and bite. :twisted:

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
I voted for only when testing ammo, but the true answer is more complex. In my M&P in 40 S&W I shoot plated bullets, Berry's or Rainier, however in my 9 mm I routinely shoot 115 gr JHP's as I have been able to find decent prices on them in the past, but may switch to plated bullets in the future due to rising component prices. In my 1911's I shoot cast lead bullets almost exclusively.

·
Registered
501 Posts
A simple "Yes" choice would have worked for me. I shoot more WWB FMJ than anything else but I've been shooting some of the Rem. 180 HP's (.40 SW) too.

·
Registered
559 Posts
choochboost said:
There was not an answer that suited my answer. I initially shoot a bunch through a new carry gun and then after that I will shoot my carry mags probably every 6 months.
+1! I marked the "only to test" box, though.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I've rarely noticed a difference between FMJ and JHP of the same gr, so I normally don't shoot my JHP at the range what-so-ever. Honestly, I don't think I would be surprised at all if someone gave me a new round to use and I had to blindly fire it. However, I have shot some JHP in bulk before when I forget to check my mags (through my AR15), and didn't even know until I couldn't find the JHPs... I also try to shoot a couple of rounds out the gun just to check for surprises, and then tend to forget about it.

Of course, I only use ammo brands I trust with my life for the job of carry, so I won't just go and buy some random load and carry it w/o knowing the brand. If you noticed in some of my pics there was a box of American Eagle 45 FMJ that I was trying out, b/c I had previously not used to much Federal made ammo.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
44 Posts
FMJ for the range. I'll probably shoot a mag full of JHP or any other defense round just so I know how they feel and how the firearm functions with it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I figure for test only because we can't shoot the targets at the range with anything other than Lead... Will be loading up Chronicle molly coats, 124gr for a 9mm... 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts