MP-Pistol Forum banner

Do you stage your shots?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since M&P is double-action, do you pull the trigger until you feel the second resistance, then hold it and aim?

The manual says not to, but it works for me when hitting bullseye.

I have a fullsize 9mm rev N by the way.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I do sometimes ... but I think it has more to do with if I don't feel right with something I back off and readjust for the shot. Granted it's only a piece of paper threatening me so I don't have to worry about speed at that moment

But I don't take up the slack before pointin at the target ... just when I'm gettin ready to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Depends on the length of the shot. If it is under 12-15 yards or so, no I don't. If it is beyond 15-20 yards I absolutely do. That is the way to maximize the accuracy of the pistol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Learned to take up the slack with the 2 stage N/M triggers in my big guns, carried that over to the pistol.

Only had one or two surprises, so I would agree only to do that if you intend to shoot the gun.

·
Registered
512 Posts
No, I do not stage the shot as you have described. Let me preface this with the disclaimer that I have only shot at the very non-threating paper targets; that being said I will aim the gun and slowly pull and hopefully be surprised each time.

Specifically speaking, I do not pull through to the resistance, aim, then shoot.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Since M&P is double-action, do you pull the trigger until you feel the second resistance, then hold it and aim?

By following the rules of propper marksmanship this is done naturally. By aiming you firearm at the target, then starting a steady "squeeze" you will take up the slack and as the resistance increases when you find the end of the "take -up" and there will be a momentary pause in trigger travel, then suddenly the trigger will break and discharge the round. There will always be a pause but depending on your shooting abilities and the amount of time you have to fire, the pause could be measured any where from thousandths of a second to several seconds.

This is assuming that you are firing a strikerr fired, single action or double action pistol in single action (hammer back) mode.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts