MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the board and to M&P ownership. I just recieved my M&P 40, and wanted to pruchase the most respected self defense ammo out. The people at my local range told me anything Corbon from the 135gr to 165gr range.

Yet when I searched on this site, almost no mention of Corbon as being a top round. I see tons of post on the Gold dots, and Ranger though.

With that said, if you all could speak on Corbon...pros and cons. And if gold dots are the way to go?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I guess this silence on Corbon speaks volumes

I'll take the lack of replys as Corbon ammo is not high on the members ammo lists

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Their DPX is respectable, but to say "anything Corbon" is taking it a little far.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Personally, I like Corbon. Stout ammo with soft hollowpoints (the conventional JHPS) that are very likely to expand. BUT they don't penetrate to the magic depth so they are falling out of favor. For the average person I think they would be very effective and have a reputation as such. I carry the 115gr DPX in my guns in the winter and I am very confident about them. The only real problem with Corbons is there are other very effective rounds out there that aren't as expensive from Speer, Doubletap, etc...

Personally, in the tests I've seen with the Gold Dots I have been less than impressed with thier performance through heavy clothing unless they are driven to really high velocities. At high velocities the GDs expand to REALLY good diameters and hold together really well resulting in good penetration.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Price plays a big part in people's view of Corbon. I personally like their ammo and keep some of the old stuff around as well as the new stuff. Check around and you'll find that it wasn't that long ago when Corbon's 115 +p+ was tops in 9mm and their .40 135gr Corbon shared the throne with the 125gr .357Mag as King of the Hill in actual One Shot Stop Percentage at 96%. At that time many felt 9-12" of penetration with a fair amount of fragmentation was perfect for getting the job done. Since then there has been a big movement towards penetration of at least 12" with an emphasis on barrier penetration and no fragmentation.....that's where the bonded bulllets come into the picture. I definitely think it's important for LEO's due to their line of work and the type of situations they can become involved in! IMHO the average citizen is not likely to end up in a scenario where they have to shoot "into" a car or shoot "through" some type of light cover a BG may be using. Although many may disagree, I choose to trust the data from a few years past and say that conventional Corbon ammo will still get the job done....especially for the average citizen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Noir, choochboost is right, their DPX is respectable and it is a bit expensive from what i have seen, i would suggest checking out the Federal HST, just happens to be my personal favorite, but the gold dots are good too.

M&P9

S&W 686 357 mag

1 - 8 of 8 Posts