MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I always wondered. I usually wait until the day after to clean my pistols, sometimes up to a week. I always clean my firearms spotless when I do clean them. Do I risk harm to my pistols, particularly the stainless steel bore?

I use Remington UMC and WWB.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Um... I understood that a MP9 didn't have to be cleaned even after every range visit.

I enjoy cleaning my gun but sometimes I am busy or preoccupied (I could be cleaning it but I am on line instead for example). I shot 600 rounds a couple weeks ago and went back for another 300 around 10 days later and never cleaned it between.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm no expert here but I'd guess it's minimal. I get tired of cleaning my guns all the time... I used to be anal about it. But now I'll sometimes do it every other range trip or after a couple times shooting a gun. What I try never to do is run them dry. Even if I don't clean them I'll drop some oil on the barrel and slide rails.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am still looking to make sure there is nothing wrong with my M&P between shootings. I can see not cleaning it as much once I am sure its solid and broke in.

·
Registered
119 Posts
There are chemical reactions in play, the longer you wait, the harder it is to get your weapon clean. Every time I finish at the range, before I pack up my weapon, I always do a quick field strip and run a snake through the barrel. Once I get home I do at least a fieldstrip cleanup. If I have time I do a total breakdown of the weapon and clean every inch of the thing.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Being in the military they beat it in you to clean, clean and when in doubt clean..... after every range trip I enjoy cleaning them if I dont go shooting for about a month I will clean it anyway.... I know a clean firearm will fire if depened on I dont know about a dirty one, it never stays dirty

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Older mil surplus stuff with corrosive primers and a non chrome lined barrel make for some nasty reactions in the bore. New ammo and a stainless barrel have no real concerns. Just be aware of anything that may build up in the bore and cause pressure to rise to high, i.e. excessive leading! I have heard of Glocks and others going 10,000 rounds with just a dry brush cleaning every 2,500 rounds or so. I wouldn't advise it but it has been done. I clean mine once a month regardless of how much or little lead goes down the barrel.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
You don't have to use a clean gun. You also don't have to use a clean plate to eat off of. I prefer my guns and plates be clean when I start using them. :twisted:

·
Registered
115 Posts
TOF said:
You don't have to use a clean gun. You also don't have to use a clean plate to eat off of. I prefer my guns and plates be clean when I start using them. :twisted:

Funny
Good way to put it.

When semi autos are dirty they jam. I had even heard that the powder and oil turned into a paste or goo and caused some malfunctions.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
you took the words right outta my mouth... and on a clean plate

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You need to clean right away if using corrosive ammoe. Like surplus 8mm mauser.

Current manufactured ammo won't damage anything, just make it dirty.

Also, some of the modern wonder cleaners that are quick and easy cna be damagin to your barrel. So frequent cleaning with them can be damaging to the metal of the barrel. This is mostly a concern for competitive shooters like IPSC/USPSA/IDPA. Mot of the popular loads use fast burning powders, which means more heat. Fast shooting plus fast burning powders cane lead to annealing of the barrel. Which means the barrel is more sensitive to abrasion. Might as well mostly wear it out with bullets instead of wonder cleaner and cleaning rods.

When you shoot enough that you look at firearms as consumables rather than heirlooms, you find you have to rethink your approach to clenaing. (unless you can get a recruit to so all the dirty work
)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ironically enough my M&P9 stovepiped on me yesterday in competition.

It was the first time it had happened, and I had cleaned it out the night before because I'd run 1000 rounds through it between a training class and target practice before hand. Go figure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
ClosetCaseNerd said:
Something I always wondered. I usually wait until the day after to clean my pistols, sometimes up to a week. I always clean my firearms spotless when I do clean them. Do I risk harm to my pistols, particularly the stainless steel bore?

I use Remington UMC and WWB.

I truly hope not, I only clean my game revolver every 3000 rounds or so. :wink:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Depends on the conditions. If it was raining, or extremely humid, or if you managed to cover the weapon in sweat, then clean it ASAP. Trying to remove rust sucks. Trust me, I've been there. Stainless can (and will) rust if you let it. If you didn't get the gun soaked or covered in sweat, waiting a few days won't hurt anything, but it may be difficult to get everything clean.

Joe

·
Registered
151 Posts
aplaceinspace said:
Ironically enough my M&P9 stovepiped on me yesterday in competition.

It was the first time it had happened, and I had cleaned it out the night before because I'd run 1000 rounds through it between a training class and target practice before hand. Go figure.
Isn't it amazing how pistols tend to pick the worst times to misbehave...?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Next day I clean...

TOF said:

That's good! Have you ever thought of writing a book of TOFisms?

I usually clean my guns the day after shooting at the range for two reasons; I'm usually kinda ready to kick back after several hours at the range and we take from six ten guns to the range when we go. The day after we shoot I usually spend most of the day cleaning and fondling.

I do wonder if constant use of a brass brush will eventually wear down the rifling so I use it spareingly. Should I be conserned? :?

·
Registered
79 Posts
TX,

From all that I have read and experianced that is not a problem. I have never seen wear from the correct usage of a brass brush.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Re: Next day I clean...

TxPhantom said:
[quote name='TOF']You don't have to use a clean gun. You also don't have to use a clean plate to eat off of. I prefer my guns and plates be clean when I start using them. :twisted:

I usually clean my guns the day after shooting at the range for two reasons; I'm usually kinda ready to kick back after several hours at the range and we take from six ten guns to the range when we go. The day after we shoot I usually spend most of the day cleaning and fondling.

I do wonder if constant use of a brass brush will eventually wear down the rifling so I use it spareingly. Should I be conserned? :?[/quote]

Het TX, My kid's say the book won't sell and I should go back to the garage to clean my guns.

Enjoy :twisted:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Re: Next day I clean...

TOF said:
[quote name='TxPhantom'][quote name='TOF']You don't have to use a clean gun. You also don't have to use a clean plate to eat off of. I prefer my guns and plates be clean when I start using them. :twisted:

I do wonder if constant use of a brass brush will eventually wear down the rifling so I use it spareingly. Should I be conserned? :?[/quote]

Het TX, My kid's say the book won't sell and I should go back to the garage to clean my guns.

Enjoy :twisted:[/quote]

TOF; It's not the kids you are hearing it's those voices that tell you when to clean your guns! I know I hear them too!
:roll:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Being a Marine from 96-03 cleaning your wpn was always first. But when we went to the rifle range you would shoot all week and not clean them just hit the bolt with a shot of CLP and that was it.

Handguns and rifles, if your using factory ammo you can go about a week and not clean them, Will the gun run for 1K rounds without clean? Sure! but why would you go that long without cleaning?

If you put 1K or more rounds and don't clean, it's going to be really hard to get all the junk out of the barrel. The jacket on the bullet is going to push what ever junk there is in the barrel, into the pours of the metal and builds up over time and make it a pain to get the barrel clean.

Now clean means different things to different shooters, For me I like to see the barrel to were I can see myself in it, thats just me. But the cleaner the barrel the better your shot groups will be and stay. Now that was for a range pistol or rifle but now for CCW your pistol should always been cleaned and oiled.

I hear people on forums talking about dust being on there carry gun there no reason for that!!! And same with ammo you hear people saying I never unload and they have been there for 3 yrs. Every 6 months depending on weather you should change out carry ammo!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts