MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't reloaded in 4 years because ammo was almost cheaper to buy than it was to reload. Now that prices are higher, I'm going to start reloading again until I at least use up the 2000+ bullets I have. My question is whether the powder that's been sitting around in an already opened screw top container will have lost any potency? I guess the same question goes for the powder that's been sitting in the Square Deal B powder supply tube.

Thanks!

John

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
Powder stored in the cans should be fine, you can smell it, bad powder has a definitely bad smell, but powders in any reasonable storage conditions are good for 50+ years. If there's any powder inside your reloader it's almost certainly toast, I have a RL550 and I empty the powder measure and run a spare case through the powder die to get ALL the powder out, you should be able to do the same on yours.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G56 said:
If there's any powder inside your reloader it's almost certainly toast, I have a RL550 and I empty the powder measure and run a spare case through the powder die to get ALL the powder out, you should be able to do the same on yours.

Any suggestions on the best way to dispose of the powder I won't be using?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
If it isn't much just toss it. If you have a lot- And if it doesn't smell bad- I would load it anyway. JMHO

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
Actually powder is a good fertilizer, just dump it on the lawn, it won't hurt a thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts