MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share this with you all.

In mid December I ordered an open top Agent holster from Don Hume. The website led me to believe the item was being produced and available. Upon placing the order I was told it was backordered and would arrive in 4-6 weeks. I did not receive it at the 4 week mark so I checked back and was told it would arrive at the end of January. Again nothing. I checked again to find out it now has a ship date of 2/12, which puts it at 8 weeks.

I seriously doubt this company is actively producing a holster for this weapon and is probably gathering orders to justify a production run. Had they been upfront and honest and told me it would be 8+ weeks for delivery I would have sought other options. I will now have missed two IDPA events in my area due to a lack of equipment.

For those of you ordering straight from Done Hume, I suggest you ask a lot of questions regarding availability so you are not misled and stuck with a moving target for delivery like I am.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
moshooter said:
For those of you ordering straight from Done Hume, I suggest you ask a lot of questions regarding availability so you are not misled and stuck with a moving target for delivery like I am.

Unless the answer is that they have it in stock and ready to ship, you will be told an inaccurate wait time. From pretty much every holster maker. Been there, done that, more than once. It sucks, but it appears to be the rule for the industry rather than the exception.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My experience with Milt Sparks has been great.

I was given a 20 week wait time right at the time of order and

my holster was here within 20 weeks.

Most of the holster makers I have dealt with have been pretty straight up about

wait time.

raz-0 said:
[quote name='moshooter']

Unless the answer is that they have it in stock and ready to ship, you will be told an inaccurate wait time. From pretty much every holster maker. Been there, done that, more than once. It sucks, but it appears to be the rule for the industry rather than the exception.[/quote]

·
Registered
240 Posts
I ordered a JIT for a Sigma (fits the M&P and Beretta 92s) from the Don Hume online website. I received an email a couple days later saying that color that I wanted (black) was back ordered and won't be available for 4 weeks or so. I replied and ask if the other color (cordovan) was in stock, and if it was, I asked them to switch my order. The salesperon replied that the other color was available and will ship immediately. I received the holster less than a week later.

Beware that even if a manufacturer list that they MAKE a holster for gun brand A and in color B, doesn't mean that the particular holster is actually in stock, especially if the gun is not one of the mainstream popular type (i.e Glock or 1911).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sent them a note telling them how dissatisfied I was with the process. Had they told me it would be 8 weeks when I placed my order I would have considered it and made other plans. However, to tell me it will be another two weeks, twice, and not be proactive is annoying. If I were to place another order with a different vendor it would be at least 8 weeks from today so I am sort of stuck. They gave me 35% off my order for the trouble, but no guaranteed delivery date, just another moving target.

·
Registered
168 Posts
MO,

I've had a fair amount of dealings with Don Hume and they have historically been very accommodating - as I think you've found. I know it sux to keep getting put off, but that's the nature of the beast when you jump on new gear (M&P). Hang in there. It'll be worth the wait.

·
Registered
16 Posts
most holster makers do not keep a stock of already made holster..

Sparks, Alessi even BladeTech..all manufacture when orders are taken..if there is high demand..the longer you wait..

it is too bad your experience not up to your expectation.

·
Registered
141 Posts
MO,

I'm on the same waitting list.

I ordered a JIT slide for a Sigma, same as Ricky T, cordovan in color(wanted black). It was supposed to ship in a couple days when I discovered they made one for the M&P specifically.

Contacted them and discovered I'm looking at a 4 week wait also, so I took the plunge and got the color I actually wanted.

Wanted a temporary cheap holster and still gotta wait.

I write it off as the M&P being new on the market, this will happen until suppliers get an inventory stocked up.

I remember about a year ago, you could hardly find a holster for an M&P.

When I order the holster I really want, that is when the wait begins.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I think they are all backed up, not just the M&P, I'm waiting on 2 holsters for my 1911

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just hope the holster is worth waiting for. It looks really nice. What causes the delay? Does each holster manufacturer need to obtain an actual M&P or are there plastic dummies they use in the process and those are not available?

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Man power, time, quantity sold.

They don't have alot of man power to kee their products cheap, therefor they sell alot, and making more takes time.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I have had excellent sales and service from Don Hume. I hope your situation is resolved quickly.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, it was supposed to ship yesterday (per the last email I received) and I did not receive any email or see a debit from my account. Yet another deadline missed. I will recommend to them that they give a more accurate and conservative delivery time next time. It may be better to set the client's expectations a little low and then come in ahead of schedule.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My holster shipped on the 12th and I received it yesterday. Unfortunately, my slide is at Tripp Research for a hard chrome job. My initial observations are that the Agent 711 open top holster is well made. This is the more expensive of the two open top holsters as it is heavily boned to match the contours of the gun. I will post pictures after I get my slide back and can judge the fit better. Unless the dimensions of the 40 caliber are any different, I would assume my M&P9 will fit just fine.

I also ordered a double mag pouch with retention screws. It also appears to be well made and takes the M&P mags well. It is a little on the short side as I would prefer a deeper pocket to provide more coverage and retention, but not this may be subjective.

after owning both an Aker Flatsider holster (for my USPc) and mag pouch, and the Don Hume items, I would say the Aker has a better appearance and is constructed a little better, particularly with regard to the mag pouch. Time will tell if the Don Hume holds up as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts