MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought My M&Pc .40 a few months ago and the dealer tossed in a box of Wolf steel cased ammo in, What a deal. Don’t ever ever use this ammo. The first round fired fine, on the second the slide was sort of sloppy feeding the third round in (should have stopped then but no) the fourth round fired but didn’t eject and the empty case jammed in so bad the extractor wouldn’t hook on and remove it. I had to (very carefully) put a cleaning rod down the barrel and pop out the empty case. I stripped everything down and inspected the gun thoroughly and thankfully no damage. I have since put about 1000+ rounds of nice brass cased ammo of varying makers (Winchester, federal, etc.) with no issues at all. Sorry it took so long to post this I am new to this blog stuff. I was wondering has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I too had FTE problems with Wolf Steel Case in my 40. It feeds and ejects fine in everything else but the M&P does not seem to like it. I shot half a box and ditched the rest....

·
Registered
169 Posts
That stuff is JUNK. Same exact thing happened to mine. I had to have the extractor replaced because of the damage it did to itself trying to pull the casing out. American Eagle for me only.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Eastern Bloc ammo is for Eastern bloc guns. Leave that stuff alone unless you're shooting 7.62x39 out of an AK.

Justin

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think alot of the problems these guns have is junk ammo. I didn't get into this sport because it was cheap. I want to protect myself and my family and I will only buy the best (that is why there are 3 M&P's in my safe). At the range it's no different. alot of us are family men and lets face it, time is valuable. I can't spend as much time at the range as I would like to, and when I'm there I don't want to be clearing jams out of a pistol. Good ammo = good results. Don't short change yourself, cheap ammo is just that-cheap. When you have a flawless day at the range, you shoot better and have more confidence in your gun...should you ever need it.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I'd say its due to the tight chamber on the M&P's. wolf is ok if your weapon will run it.

Wolf is all my AR's see, and they have no problem with it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You are drawing unsubstantiated conclusions from one instance of a phenomena.

It is sort of like this: I get a new Expedition. I get in a wreck the first day. I conclude all Fords are junk.

There are many reasons ammo may not work in any particular gun. I have a Kimber 1911 that works fine with Blazer Aluminum. I got a box of Winchester white box and that gun wouldn't feed three rounds in row. Do I conclude that white box is crap? No. I have other 9mms that love white box. Some don't like Blazer Aluminum.

And is "Eastern block ammo for Eastern block guns" actual logic or an argument? Or is it a clever phrase?

Nothing like the internet for spreading rumor and speculation.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Well put!! :wink:

jhe888 said:

It is sort of like this: I get a new Expedition. I get in a wreck the first day. I conclude all Fords are junk.

There are many reasons ammo may not work in any particular gun. I have a Kimber 1911 that works fine with Blazer Aluminum. I got a box of Winchester white box and that gun wouldn't feed three rounds in row. Do I conclude that white box is crap? No. I have other 9mms that love white box. Some don't like Blazer Aluminum.

And is "Eastern block ammo for Eastern block guns" actual logic or an argument? Or is it a clever phrase?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Something to note is that the steel cases are often SOFTER then brass ones, which is why you sometimes see ripped extractor grooves on steel cases. Being softer the brass, I'm not sure how it could damage extractors. This isn't to say that there aren't drawbacks to steel cases, brass is clearly superior, but give the current prices of ammo not everyone can afford to shoot brass cased ammo. I reload my ammo so this isn't an issue for me, but I rather shoot steel case ammo then not shoot at all.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
jhe888 said:

Wolf has earned its reputation.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I wouldn't compare WWB and Wolf... like comparing apples to oranges. I'm going by what I have seen and heard. For the most part I hear only negative about Wolf ammo. I use it in my 9mm, it shoots good but it's really dirty. For my money I just wont buy it anymore.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I went out to thr range this weekend with my new Kimber Tactical UltraII and shot 100 rounds of Wolf and 100 rounds of Remington fmj...I had only 1 FTE with the Wolf and 3 FTE with the Remington...maybe because the Kimber is brand new and they require 400-500 rounds breakin period....The gun was right on the money! I think the wolf made the gun dirtier than the remington did..IMO....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have also had problems with wolf steel cased ammo . I was shooting 40 sw out of my beretta 96 fs . The first few rounds fired fine , Then I had FTE on the 6th round . I tried it a few more times , Always ending the same FTE . The spent case would come half way out . From what i understand , wolf coats thier cases with a clear coating to keep them from getting a surface rust on them . I will never use wolf ammo again . I threw the remainder of the 50 round box in the dud bucket .

·
Registered
5 Posts
On the boxotruth website, they actually thought that Wolf was more accurate than WWB and Blazer, if I remember. I haven't tried it in my M7P yet, but I've shot wolf out of 3rd gen S&W autos without any problems, so far.

I will have to try a few boxes before ordering a case, though.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts