MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my shield now for one year lots of dry firing holstering and unholstering I dropped in an Apex Trigger Truglo tf-x sights love my pistol but it has a weird click a quarter of the way through the travel of engaging the safety... Does anybody have any suggestions on what would need to be replaced or gunsmith? I called Smith & Wesson and they had no idea and have never heard of a shield having this problem. When you put inward pressure on the safety while engaging to the safe position it creates a very tactile click a quarter of the way through the engagement and sometimes if I'm not paying close enough attention it feels as if the safety has been engaged. With talking 2 S&W customer service they said they would send out any replacement part to fix the problem but they did not know if it would be more than just the thumb safety lever itself or I could send it in for repairs I just don't want to be without it for the few weeks that it would take.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I can't help with your problem, but welcome to the forum!

You might send it to them and look at it as an excuse to get a 2nd gun.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I've had my shield now for one year lots of dry firing holstering and unholstering I dropped in an Apex Trigger Truglo tf-x sights love my pistol but it has a weird click a quarter of the way through the travel of engaging the safety... Does anybody have any suggestions on what would need to be replaced or gunsmith? I called Smith & Wesson and they had no idea and have never heard of a shield having this problem. When you put inward pressure on the safety while engaging to the safe position it creates a very tactile click a quarter of the way through the engagement and sometimes if I'm not paying close enough attention it feels as if the safety has been engaged. With talking 2 S&W customer service they said they would send out any replacement part to fix the problem but they did not know if it would be more than just the thumb safety lever itself or I could send it in for repairs I just don't want to be without it for the few weeks that it would take.
Were YOU the one that installed the Apex Trigger...????

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just checked my 9mm Shield and no weird click or double click. I have the Performance Center version, but can't think of anything that S&W did different to the safety on that.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I can not help with the mechanics of a safety on a striker fired gun as I feel it is an unneeded part
I sold the shield with a safety the week the non safety models hit our area, so I can't even take one apart to look at the parts.

My suggestion would be to remove the safety, there are instructions online how to do this.

The safety of a gun starts between your ears.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lot of shield with safety critics here. I have a PC Shield and installed the apex trigger myself. Absolutely love it!!!! I just pulled out the safe and checked. Never thought about it before but I see what you are talking about. There is a noticeable first soft click before you completely push up the safety for the second NOTICEABLE safety ON click. I'm used to it I guess. I know that the combination of thumb all the way up with loud second click is safe. Many years of M9 safety manipulation trained me to push (down) till it stops habit. Send it in for peace of mind I guess. Agree with comment above: good reason to buy a backup pistol.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Two Shields w/ Thumb Safety-- 1 "Normal" 1 Double Click

To bamajeeper...I have two 9mm Shields one purchased about a year ago for myself, which has the same issue you described and one purchased this year for my wife which does not have the issue, her safety operates smoothly in both directions. I'll call S&W to see if they have a solution, they must have received other calls about this as I'm sure we're not the only ones seeing the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Finally sent my Shield to S&W for them to take a look at the double click when engaging the manual safety and just got it back today. They had it four weeks and the service report says "Replaced Thumb Safety" no other comments.

It still has the same issue, nothing has changed...same double click when engaging the safety. Since it disengages smoothly I will not send it back to S&W again.

I love my S&W's I have 5 of them but I have to say I'm not impressed with the quality or communication lately.

I recently purchased a new S&W 642 revolver and had to send it back because the frame was damaged when they installed the barrel and the Forcing Cone looked like someone took a chisel and gouged it in multiple places. They did an "okay" job repairing it. Shortly after I got it back I removed the side plate to look at the inside and found the hammer was scraping the frame as it moved.

In comparison, I have a Taurus 85 revolver and for all the negative things people say about their quality my 85 has excellent fit and finish with beautiful bluing, about a 8-9 lb trigger that is butter smooth and has no internal issues...go figure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To Bamajeepper...I just got my Shield back from S&W repair. The process took 4 weeks and they said they replaced the "Thumb Safety". There is no difference in the operation. It still has the double click when engaging the safety but because it disengages smoothly I'll not send it in again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts