MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if I could just have my mp slide drilled and tapped for like maybe some weaver scope mount bases or any type of dovetail scope base? I would really like to put a scope or electronic point sight

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Josh, your help is greatly appreciated but thats not what I was asking. Is there enough metal on the slide where I can have it drilled and tapped for whatever mount I would like to put on it? I'm thinking right in fron of the rear sight, I saw a revolver my neighbor had with a nice scope on it and would like to do something like that.

·
Registered
910 Posts
There's plenty of metal to drill & tap - just need to find a gunsmith willing to do it. Also, not sure how well it would work seeing as how it's on the slide that moves back and forth. Might have issues coming loose, losing zero, issues with the gun cycling, etc.

Again, not what you asked for, but there's alternatives for mounting scopes. The cheaper/ghetto method.

Someone on the forums was supposed to be designing a nicer unit like that for the M&P's, but I don't know if it ever came about. Would definitely take care of issues I mentioned above, and allow you to not drill into the slide.

Anyhoo, best of luck to you. My advice - contact Burwell or Bowie and see if they can/will do it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
the way to install an optic thats any bigger than a j-point is to get a bracket and mount it on the frame.

The slide needs to move in order to operate, and youd be increasing its mass 3 or 4 fold if you put a scope on it!

revolver top straps dont move.

-think about it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone. I was originally looking at one that goes mounted on the frame that was on a 1911 frame, http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/pro...1-002&s=374 now is there any way to get this animal on there? I have their catalog and it says they make one for the sigma. I've never held a sigma but, are the slide dimensions close to the ones of a fullsize MP? where maybe I could just do some adjusting to the mount.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts