MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've poured through NJ statutory law and the answers are just unclear. Does anyone here know legally or from their own personal experience what is and isn't forbidden.

I know you may carry THROUGH the State. I know that you don't need a license to carry to and from a range. That much is clear.

I'm going to stay at a relative's house (which I sort of have an ownership interest in) in NJ. I'd like to bring my new M&P along to show it to a family member. I then expect we will probably drive to PA to go shooting there.

So is it illegal for me to transport the firearm TO a residence in NJ that I don't fully own or reside at (assuming I comply with the required method of transportation)? And would it be illegal for me to possess the firearm within that residence?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've poured through NJ statutory law and the answers are just unclear. Does anyone here know legally or from their own personal experience what is and isn't forbidden.

I know you may carry THROUGH the State. I know that you don't need a license to carry to and from a range. That much is clear.

I'm going to stay at a relative's house (which I sort of have an ownership interest in) in NJ. I'd like to bring my new M&P along to show it to a family member. I then expect we will probably drive to PA to go shooting there.

So is it illegal for me to transport the firearm TO a residence in NJ that I don't fully own or reside at (assuming I comply with the required method of transportation)? And would it be illegal for me to possess the firearm within that residence?

Do any of your firearms have mags bigger then 15rds? Thats the big no-no for handguns in NJ

Other then that..... gun should be cased in trunk ..... ammo seperate, during transport. Bring your own ammo, most places in NJ now want to see a NJ FID to purchase ammo.

Other then that..... you will quickly learn to be thankful you dont live here as a gun owner....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do any of your firearms have mags bigger then 15rds? Thats the big no-no for handguns in NJ

Other then that..... gun should be cased in trunk ..... ammo seperate, during transport. Bring your own ammo, most places in NJ now want to see a NJ FID to purchase ammo.

Other then that..... you will quickly learn to be thankful you dont live here as a gun owner....
I'm waiting in the mail for my free 10rd 9mm fs mags. I've checked every conceivable statute so I'm aware of all the stuff that's clearly laid out.

The specific questions I asked aren't answered by statute, and all the allowances are built as exceptions to a blanket ban on handgun possession when you don't have an FID.

The things I'm asking about would constitute exceptions and are very very similar to the allowances in the statute but it's somewhat ambiguous whether they are or are not covered.

I just officially moved to VA about 1 1/2 months ago, and was able to get a handgun after waiting one full month. Then I went to the store, they ran my info, and I bought the gun. No registration, no hassle, no problem. My brother is now in the process of buying his first handgun too, but he still lives in NJ. The difference is insane. Fill out forms, have other people fill out forms, wait, then use that form one time to buy one handgun, then go through it all over if you want another handgun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm located in S.E. PA., about a 15 minute ride from the NJ border. I stay out of NJ rather than risk a mistake in the interpertation of their laws. It would certainly hurt to have one of my favorite guns confiscated, it would hurt much much more, to have that mistake prevent me from purchasing firearms in the future. I recommend leaving your gun at home rather than risking having a failed background check in the future.

No the Jersey police aren't hiding around every corner waiting to pounce on some unsuspecting out of state gun owner, but why take an unnecessarry risk?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No the Jersey police aren't hiding around every corner waiting to pounce on some unsuspecting out of state gun owner, but why take an unnecessarry risk?

Well you could say that in any situation. If it's against the law I won't do it. If it's not I will and will get my gun back if it's confiscated. The chances of it getting found either way are basically zero. It'll be locked in my trunk and the police aren't searching my truck for any reason what-so-ever.

Edit: I read the case law, it seems that these cases VERY rarely occur because of prosecutorial discretion, but there's no doubt it's illegal. I'm just going to get a non-resident NJ FID card, it's a pain but it's clearly the legal way to do it.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I feel your pain. I too live in VA and have a CCW. I have relatives in PA and every time I go see them I have to drive through MD. As MD has no reciprocity with VA, this means that prior to crossing the state line, I have to separate the ammo from the gun lock it in a case and place it under the back seat of my extended cab pickup. All of this crap for a 30 - 40 minute drive. I do not know who it suppose to protect as I am sure the criminals in MD do not follow this practice.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I live less that 1 minute from NJ in Delaware Water Gap PA. As a LEO I have the privilege of carrying concealed in all 50 states (as everyone should). NJ tried every imaginable way possible to not even allow off duty cops to carry in NJ (not saying we are better, safer, etc...just making the point how F'ed up NJ is). The president had to amend H.B. 218 to get cops around the hollow point issue!!! The arrogance in the government of the state of New Jersey is sickening! Nanny state!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.