MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know a topic that has been beaten to death. Read many opinions in many threads here.

I want to do this to work on my trigger pull.

My only question is dry firing on a hammer fire gun.

The is from S&W manual---

WARNING: Do not dry fire your M&P® 9 SHIELDTM
EZ® pistol while the slide is removed. Doing so
can result in damage to the hammer or other

internal parts.

Would seem they are saying it is OK if slide is installed.

Any of you dry fire the 9EZ a fair amount?

Thanks

·
Registered
713 Posts
I also have an EZ9 and like any other centerfire gun, occasional dry fire is OK, but I would recommend a snap cap for a lot of dry fire. Strikers and firing pins come to a shoulder where the front of the pin protrudes through the slide and this area has been known to work harden and cause breakage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use G-Sights laser cartridge for dry fire training. Pair it with the app and it's pretty cool. I dont find myself looking for the laser. Theirs also plastic things you put in the mag so the slide wont lock. Dont have links at the moment but if your interested I'll add them later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I went with G-sight because it looked like a newer gen then others out their but you can find them for as low as $12 on amazon.
Pair that with the LaserHIT app and their target its like plinking and makes a sound like hitting metal. Mirrored the phone on the TV and had a contest in our living room. I didnt care for the G-sight app but it is easier to set up then Laserhit.
Also got this so the slide wont lock TRT Tap Rack Dry Fire

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks. Did see complaints on the app. Mostly having to pay for more than 10 shots. Not a problem for me. Cheaper than ammo. And I need plenty of trigger pull practice. Someone said some of the Amazon G-Sights are Kniock-Offs. Will keep looking into all your tips. Not sure if mentioned. But, does the laser cartridge suffice as a Snap Cap for my hammer fire gun? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks. May have to get the TRT Tap Rack Dry Fire you linked. I read about it on Amazon. Sounded confusing to me. Thought I would just insert the 3 rounds and be ready to go. No need to rack slide. But, talks about different insertion methods on the magazine.
I did just order the G-Sights ELMS Gen 3 Laser Cartridge and a Tripod.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Watched a video and understand the TRT better. Ordered them. Hope they work. The top of my mag is flat. One video showed how the bottom of the TRT slides over a ridge on top of mag. My mag has no ridge. Maybe I misunderstood. Either way will find out tomorrow when then arrive.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I went with G-sight because it looked like a newer gen then others out their but you can find them for as low as $12 on amazon.
Pair that with the LaserHIT app and their target its like plinking and makes a sound like hitting metal. Mirrored the phone on the TV and had a contest in our living room. I didnt care for the G-sight app but it is easier to set up then Laserhit.
Also got this so the slide wont lock TRT Tap Rack Dry Fire
Thanks drunkNdirty

I got targets free from internet, TRT, and tripod. targets are just black and white on standard computer paper.

Cartridge is on its way. So, I just set things up with target on wall and iphone in tripod. Focused iPhone on my main target then taped a different target to right of first one. That is what they call the reload target. Need to hit that first to start things. Shows a shot to bullseye to start. So, the reload target is confusing. Do I need a specific target from LaserHit, or just one with a bullseye. Or, will any second target do. Can't test this out since Cratridge is not here yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. The reload target is just a area you shoot to restart/start over the game. After setting up the targets I just click next on the reload area. For the black steel game, I downloaded and printed the B3 target from their site. High score needs a bullseye. TRT Tap is just so the slide doesn't think your mag is empty and locks.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the confirmation. Think I finally figured it all out. Got my G-Sight Laser Cartridge and have been practicing.
I tried both apps, G-Sight and LaserHit. For me the G-Sight app works fine and one less thing to do with G-Sight. No remote target. All shots have been registering. I don't mind restarting the 10 shot sequence as I don't shoot fast nor a lot of rounds at one time. I will keep LaserHit on the iPhone in case that changes.

My accuracy is a lot better dry firing than at the range. I wouldn't think no recoil would be the reason as the round should be gone by the time I hear/notice it. Maybe less anticipation. Or, getting use to the trigger.

Have a 2 inch group at 17ft. at the range it was about 10 inches at roughly same distance. Is dry firing typically more accurate than live firing? Can't believe I would improve like that. But, will know on next range trip. lol

Thanks Again for all the advice---

1 - 17 of 17 Posts