MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I dry fire my MP 9mm's (5" 2.0, 4" 1.0, 3.6" 2.0) I notice a tiny front sight movement or slight flick, after the trigger breaks. This happens with all three of my MP's, but seems to be more pronounced with my 2.0's. I have tried different techniques, grip angles and pressure, and finger location on the trigger face...same thing. This does not happen when I dry fire my other pistols like 1911's, 92F DA/SA (in SA) and even revolvers in SA, the front sight is rock solid at the break. I have been told this is normal for all striker fire pistols, due to the internal mechanics of the gun, but not sure if I buy that. My accuracy and performance with the gun is very good, but it still seems very odd to me. Does anyone have any insight on this issue? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have that muzzle shake with my M&P as well, so is with my CZ P-10C, and with H&K VP9 but less so. I do not have that at all with Walter PPQ. It happens when the stirker hits slide. That's prob the reason competitive shooters install lighter firing pin spring.

I'd like to know too what others think about it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It's pretty normal

My 2.0 does that but isn't even broken in and my 1.0s used to. If your fire control group is stock it's normal. You could try a firmer grip if it bothers you but it is something I noticed on all of my M&Ps while dry firing. I know exactly the little jump you speak of, the gun is unloaded and doesn't have the weight of ammo. As long as you can shoot it accurately then you're fine, it's normal.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I'm betting a trigger job that reduces overtravel will rid you of the problem. But that's just a guess since you didn't say which way the front sight is seen to move. For a better diagnosis we would need full information. Doing exercises to increase grip strength could also help. It could be as easy as squeezing a rubber ball repeatedly.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It could be as simple as changing the palmswell. My neighbor has small hands and had the large palmswells on. He hated his M&P. A change to small and he loves it. Plus most people dry fire one handed. With two hands on the gun I bet it wont jump. Most people shoot two handed so that could explain a lot. Does the front sight jump with a firm two handed grip? Do you have the right size swells on?

Plus nvvnzz is correct, the striker does hit with considerable force. My M&Ps can shoot a Bic pen to the ceiling hard, leaving a dimple in the plastic of the pen from the firing pin, my hammer fired guns shoot a pen about 5-6 feet straight up.
It's not scientific but my PPQ also does not have any striker jump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The muzzle jumps to the left and it's all stock. If y'all have that then it's not just couple of us.

Right, it does not happen if I do firmer grip. I am using gyro hand grip strengthener, apparently it's more effective than those regular ones or rubber ball.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Grab it like a c-clamp , exercise your hands , aim at some point in your house like an electrical outlet,nail etc,after practice and patience you will be a champ,took me a few months of every day doing this dry fire stuff.

·
Registered
608 Posts
It is all about the over-travel in the stock trigger as it allows the accelerating trigger finger to hit the back area of the trigger guard. If a firearm has little to no over-travel, you will see almost no front sight jump as you complete a dry-fire.

In all of my M&Ps, I always reduce the over-travel to almost zero by creating my own proprietary over-travel stops on the frames, as the last part of a trigger job. You will not see any front sight jump on any of my M&Ps. The front sight stays as calm as a calm, placid lake throughout the trigger pull.

Each of these pistols has had the over-travel mod done to them... There are more, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a post on the forum currently that I’m experiencing the same issue with my 2.0 9mm. It’s frustrating because it looks like trigger pull, but it’s not so I can’t get rid of it. I’d like to hear more from people on this and managing it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I suspect that when doing dry fire practice, many people do not grip the pistol as strongly as they do during live fire.

My mentors/instructors have always insisted: "if your support hand is not (at least a little) tired after a dry fire session, you're not doing it right (and not doing yourself any favors)."

FWIW, I grip my Shield as I would during live fire and have no front sight movement at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts