MP-Pistol Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
mds1911 said:
I have a perfect solution for the snap cap issue. I've been using this method for many years and I came up with the idea myself. I take a spent casing, whichever caliber you have, and remove the old primer and place silicone into the primer pocket so It's just above the back of the cartridge rim. Then, once it's dry, I use an exacto knife or razor blade to cut it flush with the rim. You now have a snap cap for just a few cents and they last forever. The silicone in the caps I've made has never fallen out of the casing and it does not become indented like the metal snap caps do, so you can use it virtually forever. Hope this helps.

Mike.

How do you remove the old primer to do this?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I don't understand how you can't tell the difference between a snap cap and a live round. One is really red. The other is not. That just seems like something to blame for a person's own neglegance. Everyone talks about proper firearm safety and to check the chamber two or three times before you do anything. Who would point a gun at themselves or another person with a snap cap anyways? I know Gunsite is a very VERY respected group of people and I'm not saying they aren't but blaming a snap cap for someone's AD makes no sense.

I could see an AD coming from using a spent casing with silicone but checking the gun would make sure you have the snap cap in or a live round. Great idea btw.

Paying attention would also prevent being in a situation where your gun goes "click" and not "bang."

·
Registered
88 Posts
tstrenuous10 said:
I don't understand how you can't tell the difference between a snap cap and a live round. One is really red. The other is not. That just seems like something to blame for a person's own neglegance. Everyone talks about proper firearm safety and to check the chamber two or three times before you do anything. Who would point a gun at themselves or another person with a snap cap anyways? I know Gunsite is a very VERY respected group of people and I'm not saying they aren't but blaming a snap cap for someone's AD makes no sense.

I could see an AD coming from using a spent casing with silicone but checking the gun would make sure you have the snap cap in or a live round. Great idea btw.

Paying attention would also prevent being in a situation where your gun goes "click" and not "bang."

Not everybody is safe with a gun. This is especially exascerbated when they get the impression the gun is inherently safe. Things happen, phones ring, babies cry, all it takes is a distraction at the wrong time.

If our brains were such good 'safeties', how can we account for so many car accidents?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Tangle said:
If our brains were such good 'safeties', how can we account for so many car accidents?
Properly function brains are pretty good safeties, but not imperfect. However, most people do not have properly functioning brains.

·
Registered
264 Posts
DixieThunder 24 said:
How do you remove the old primer to do this?

Resizing die/decapping die. If you already reload these are in your kit. If you dont and dont want to invest in a cheap die and press, or better yet get started in reloading, you should be able to buy unprimed brass at your local gun shop or gun show. If youre not averse to spendign some cahs upfront, you can buy a Lee HandPress from Midway, Cheaper that Dirt for less than $20 and a sizing die for probably about the same and be ready to use your own brass.

·
Registered
2 Posts
DixieThunder 24 said:
[quote name='mds1911']I have a perfect solution for the snap cap issue. I've been using this method for many years and I came up with the idea myself. I take a spent casing, whichever caliber you have, and remove the old primer and place silicone into the primer pocket so It's just above the back of the cartridge rim. Then, once it's dry, I use an exacto knife or razor blade to cut it flush with the rim. You now have a snap cap for just a few cents and they last forever. The silicone in the caps I've made has never fallen out of the casing and it does not become indented like the metal snap caps do, so you can use it virtually forever. Hope this helps.

Mike.

How do you remove the old primer to do this?[/quote]

You can just pop it out with a very thin punch or ice pick from the inside of the casing. However, be very careful not to stick your hand with either. Don't want to have to go to the emergency room for a snap cap.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What type or brand of snap caps does anyone use?

1) Aluminium type from A-Zoom?

2) Plastic type with sping inside like Pachmayer and Tipton?

I use the plastic (Tipton) type for dry-fire practice in my .308 Win. Rifle. But the A-Zoom anondized aluminium would seemed to be better for practicing reloads in an automatic pistol, i.e. less fragile than plastic. I also use homemade pratice ammo, (reloaded ammo with only the bullet seated; no powder/primer), but after a while the bullet starts to recede and I have to pull the bullet and reseat.

I've thought about using some type of glue or sealant to help prevent the bullet receding problem.

But, the spring-loaded type might be better for the striker?

Here's a list, FYI: http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/brows...0615***10558***

·
Registered
490 Posts
I just did some dry fire drills using left hand, right hand, and single handed (didn't do too well with these) and no snap caps. Didn't seem to affect anything with the gun but that doesn't matter since S&W says its ok to dry fire and if I break the striker they send me a new one.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts