MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a can when I was having trouble getting the slide all the way back to lock it for tear down on a Shield 9mm. 3.1 inch barrel. Someone suggested spraying it on the RSA.

I just traded it in for a 9mm M&P 2.0 Compact 4 inch barrel. No problem manipulating the slide.

I am using Hoppes 9 Bore Cleaner with Balistol for my cleaning and dry cleaning the slide and frame except for the spots S&W recommends to oil.

Do I just have a lube now for around the house? Or, do any of you like using a dry lube any where on the gun taking into account my current cleaning process.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Well, I’ve been using Eezoxx for 30 something years now, and while not a dry lube (it’s a liquid), it continues to lube and provide corrosion protection even after it dries out.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I use dry lube inside the mag bodies of box magazines, and inside the magazine tubes of my lever actions.
In both of those cases you don't want to use an oily lube, it would attract dust and gunk and possible get on your ammo, which is not good. Your ammo should be dry when it goes in the chamber.

Only times I've used dry lube on other gun parts like slides is extreme cold weather, like December Pheasant hunting, or extremely dusty conditions. Except for those extremes, I would stick with regular wet lubes.
Putting dry (or wet) lube on an RSA is not going to make the pistol any easier to rack. New springs will still be stiff.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks sandog

I will just use it around house

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use dry lube inside the mag bodies of box magazines, and inside the magazine tubes of my lever actions.
In both of those cases you don't want to use an oily lube, it would attract dust and gunk and possible get on your ammo, which is not good. Your ammo should be dry when it goes in the chamber.

Only times I've used dry lube on other gun parts like slides is extreme cold weather, like December Pheasant hunting, or extremely dusty conditions. Except for those extremes, I would stick with regular wet lubes.
Putting dry (or wet) lube on an RSA is not going to make the pistol any easier to rack. New springs will still be stiff.
Bought a can when I was having trouble getting the slide all the way back to lock it for tear down on a Shield 9mm. 3.1 inch barrel. Someone suggested spraying it on the RSA.

I just traded it in for a 9mm M&P 2.0 Compact 4 inch barrel. No problem manipulating the slide.

I am using Hoppes 9 Bore Cleaner with Balistol for my cleaning and dry cleaning the slide and frame except for the spots S&W recommends to oil.

Do I just have a lube now for around the house? Or, do any of you like using a dry lube any where on the gun taking into account my current cleaning process.

Thanks

Thanks
Like Sandog said, I only use Dry Lube when exposing a gun to very cold weather, like hunting in Winter. Most of the time I use "Lucas Oil" Gun products and they do a good job of keeping my firearms running. I especially like them on my Black Rifles when going to the range and running the gun very Hot.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts

Thanks
I also really like the Lucas Oil Extreme Heat oil for my handguns, a drop goes a long way and keeps my guns running while spending a long day on the Pistol Range.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I also really like the Lucas Oil Extreme Heat oil for my handguns, a drop goes a long way and keeps my guns running while spending a long day on the Pistol Range.
I bought a little bottle with a needle applicator top just like that at a local autoparts store several months ago. I used it for the first time last week on a brand new stainless snubbie; on the hand ratchet gear (or whatever it’s called) on the back of the cylinder, crane hinge, and ejector rod. I put on just a little with a q-tip, functioned everything several times, then wiped off what I could. It seems to have very good adhesion properties.

I’ll use it on my AR’s whenever they got shot next.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Think about this, a friend that's a gun smith recommended using automatic trans fluid (ATF) to lube guns.
What do you think about using ATF ?

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably not. Invested too much in what I got--lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts