MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the HiViz (overmolded), but would I be better served by going with a SW night site/10-8 rear on a 9c for CCW use? I don't have any guns with FO's on them, so I have no real experience regarding their durability.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Fiber Optic fronts are pretty common in USPSA limited class. They are nice in that they are very visible when they are new. The plastic sheath tends to get dirty fairly easily and can get "cloudy" if it gets chemicals on it, and then they are nowhere near as bright. All of the guys that I know that use a FO front replace the fiber before any big match and carry a 6-12" piece of fiber and a cigarette lighter in their range bag. I have seen people loose the fiber optic tube in the middle of a course of fire. For any kind of serious use sight, I would reccomend either the XS sights we build where I work, the Warren tactical seriess, or Trijicons. I would definitely reccomend that the tritium vial have some sort of white white ring around it (Trijicon started doing this a few years back, and it makes their fronts considerably easier to see). I just don't trust the fiber optic to hold up too well during hard use.

Joe

·
Registered
130 Posts
jake94134 said:
I really like the HiViz (overmolded), but would I be better served by going with a SW night site/10-8 rear on a 9c for CCW use? I don't have any guns with FO's on them, so I have no real experience regarding their durability.

For strictly carry I'd go with tritium night sights. I only use FO's for competition with one exception and that is my Glock 19 which I have Truglo's FO/Tritium sights. I use that gun for competiton and for carry occassionally. So far I've had no problems with them.

I don't know how well the overmolded HiViz would do. I know a few local competion shooters who have them.

I just have regular FO's on Glock 34 & M&P I'm using for competition and carry spares in case of breakage. Oh, and I'm a non-smoker so I even went and bought a lighter to have.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Jake, I have an FO on my M&P but it is not my carry pistol. If this is going to be your carry, get at least a front night sight. An FO ain't gonna do you any good in lowlight or no-light situations.

Ask any of the instructors and they will tell you that about 70% of all shooting incidents occur in lowlight (I could be wrong and if I am, someone please correct me). And when it does occur in lowlight, its up close and personal, 7 yards or less.

3-dots, 2-dots or a single front - any combo helps. Joe Long is being too modest here. His company makes a great product - the Big Dot (I dont' think they call that anymore). I've shot a lot of lowlight with the Big Dot in the past and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Another good setup is the dot-on-dot a la Heinie's straight eights. My carry Scandium Commander came with it and it has worked very well for me.

Here's a weird combo that I am not in a position to recommend to anyone. When I got my M&P, it came with factory night sights. Dan Burwell swapped out the front for the FO for me. I left the rear the way it was 'cos the damn pistol was so accurate (someone picked it up during a class and hit plates at 125 yards, no BS). Anyway I showed up at the VA State IDPA and they had 3 lowlight stages that day. Got me worried but I ran the M&P the same. I couldn't see the FO when the lights when out but boy, those rears jumped up almost immediately and it really helped.

Anyway, if it's carry, consider night sights, bro.

·
Registered
103 Posts
tstrenuous110,

You can expect the tritium to have a usable life of anywhere from 10-15 years. Most everybody is going ot offer a 10 year warranty.

Helmie,

Thanks for the compliments. I know XS isn't a board sponsor, so I didn't want to step on anyones toes. Besides, I think Scott Warren's sights are pretty slick. Thanks for the compliments.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts