MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how durable the black finish on the slide is? Does anyone have any experience carrying this around for awhile, doing some drawing, holstering, etc? Does the finish show wear easily or is it pretty durable?

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
I believe I'd read where the Mellonite finish is harder than the stainless steel underneath.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The surface of the stainless steel is very, very hard; but the black coating will wear off. I haven't done any heavy holstering yet, but my finish is holding up well. I have some very light holster wear on a few edges. I just bought a competition rig, so I will be doing a lot of holstering now. From my experience with Glock finish, the M&P finish seems to be wearing about the same. Hopefully someone that has done a lot of holstering will chime in.

·
Registered
573 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is why I like the stainless guns. No finish wear. But, with the M&P, you don't have that option. So, there is always DURACOAT. You can do it yourself with their all in one kit that includes the air-brush. Don't have to paint on a color either, just clear it with flat or glossy clear coat. That stuff is tough. Looks good too. A lot of XD owners have been doing it to their worn 9mm and .40S&W that are pre-melonite. Check it out:

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
A pistol without any finish wear just looks like a safe queen!

It's a tool, it's meant to be used.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it may be a tool, but I don't throw my other tools on the pavement just because they are tools! I don't abuse something because it's a "tool." There's nothing wrong with trying to take care of your tools, and also caring about what they look like. I like to keep mine looking good as long as I can.

But you have to be realistic, I guess. It's only the first couple scratches that hurt!

·
Registered
4 Posts
mine has a few marks on it from clamping it in a vise and hammering the ever livin s**t out of the front sight to get it centered, but I'm not worried about it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Man I don't want to admit this but: Its hard for me to buy an ugly gun. I mean, really, truly, honestly, if M&P's didn't exist I'd own a Glock, but I am SO happy M&P's exist because not only are they great pistols, they are gorgeous!

I love all their improved features and better ergonomics compared to other handguns, but they are flat out sexy too...and that seems to always make the 550 dollar pill easier to swallow. I don't know about the rest of you but when I see something LOOKING beat up I get a consensus that its been abused or neglected, I rarely feel that way in the inverse scenario.

I hear stories of guys dropping their pistols, having them slide across asphalt and they scoop them up embarrassed. If that was me I'd honestly freak out and scoop it up and examine it, regardless of shocked onlookers. Just thinking about it makes me cringe.

Honest to goodness holster wear is about the only acceptable wear in my opinion. These are handguns we are talking about, they aren't used as impact weapons and they aren't slammed against the ground during IMT'ing. Its not like a rifle, that smacks against rocks and trees while weaving through the woods. They are holstered or in the hand, either way mostly protected from the world especially if your conscious about your weapon.

I understand its a tool but honestly if a pistols got more then just holster wear marks, wouldn't that be an indication of carelessness?

Guess it should come as no suprise that one of the next pistols I'd like to get is a P229 SAS in .40S&W :wink:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For a ClosetCaseNerd, you are very brave! It just ain't cool to say you care at all about the finish or looks of a firearm. And don't forget to call it a "tool." That's pretty cool these days too.

When I pay $400-900 for an item I like to take care of it. At those prices I don't consider it an abuse it and throw it away type of item.

I totally agree with your asessment. Holster wear is ok with me as long as I'm not watching my finish disappear with each draw. I hate scratches, gouges anything of that kind. That looks like abuse.

While it's extremely unpopular to come out and say, "My name is _____ and I care about how my firearm looks," I think some of these "tool" guys go home and polish their guns just like everyone else.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I care about how my weapons look, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape from wear that is to be expected through normal use.

The best I can hope for is that I don't drop it onto something hard and abrasive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts