MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wonderd if people had this problem with their M&P 9; how they resolved it? Seems I have same problem with my brand new M&P.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I haven't experienced that. It may go away after a break-in period. How many rounds do you have through it. Check your grip as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
300 rounds so far - when I load it with snap cap and rack slide it ejects at 3 o'clock but at range it's all over my face and head

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine did it alot before I had put a few hundred rounds through it. I'm at 750 rounds now and it seems to be doing it much, much less, almost non-existent now. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I was worried about it too. I'd take 3 or 4 casings to the top of my head or shoulder out of every mag, now it's 1 out of maybe 50 rounds. Seems to me this issue with my 9c is going away.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Yep! mine did it with every bit of brass from one to over 1000. I sent it back to the Smith Reps here in Australia and they replaced the complete slide. Now I have other issues with it. Like the slide gouging along the top of the magazine brass and FTE/E issues. It will be going back again...

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?...sc&start=60

You are not alone but I fear in the minority... Or rather, thankfully you are one of the special ones!

After the slide change it took about 900 or so to stop it from happening as when the new slide was fitted it flung brass back even harder than before! It has had another 1200 through it and no brass comming back!!! I am mostly smiles...

All I can say is send it back to S&W.

Ps: The ejector was not touched or replaced, only the complete slide, extractor assembly (edit)...

·
Registered
27 Posts
My full size MP9 had brass ejecting sporadically for the first few mags. A thorough cleaning seemed to fix the issue. I put another 500 rounds through it the next day and all is well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ejected brass into the face is not conducive to good shooting habits. My M&P did it consistently for the first 100 rounds and after the first cleaning it never happened again. However, I now have to concentrate on "not blinking" and following through with the M&P and my other semi's as well. :roll:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when I rack the slide manually it eject's perfectly - on side note the recoil of this gun is much more than other 9's even more than 40 it's like you are firing a 45 or 44 magnum

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
tmodesto said:
when I rack the slide manually it eject's perfectly - on side note the recoil of this gun is much more than other 9's even more than 40 it's like you are firing a 45 or 44 magnum
Racking the slide manually has little to do with the action of the slide when firing. If you think the recoil of the M&P9 is significant, you are the only one. Most have found it to be the mildest 9mm available. Maybe its the ammo you're shooting. Is it +p?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not it's regular WWB - I thought if manually ejects fine, considering then it should be me not holding the head of gun tight - I guess I have try it one more time if not corrected then send it back to to S&W

·
Registered
295 Posts
tmodesto said:
i'll take that as an overstatement.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My girls MP9c had this issue at first, the first day we fired about 75 rounds thru it. That evening when I cleaned it up and did a partial trigger job on it (just to smooth it up) I also buffed up the ejector side of the barrel(dont know if theres another name for it) as this was really rough. Then cleaned her up.

The next week I shot 100 rounds thru with normal side ejection adn no issues. She shot dead on. The 9 also has very little recoil shooting normal (non +p) ammo thru it. Very fun to shoot.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine has hit me in the face once in a while.. until I figured out that the casings were ejecting and then bouncing off of the wall in the lane I was shooting in. :?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I also had this problem, there are a few other threads on this if you want to read more. I was having consistant ejection issues, ~6 per mag. Check all of the things everyone mentioned first:

1. Grip - with a weak grip, or allowing your hands to break to follow recoil will cause it

2. Buildup - clean your gun very well, paying special attention to a buildup under the extractor

3. Let someone else fire your gun

4. Try other ammo.

5. Practice - extra rounds through the gun will help with trigger/gun break-in

If the cases are consistantly landing close to you/your feet/your shoulders throughout the whole mag and results are similiar with other experienced shooters, it is probably an issue with the extractor/ejector. If you have strong extraction with the occasional in your face then it is more than likely you. If after these, you have the same results and other shooters have the same results; contact S&W.

This being said, I had consistand weak ejection regardless of the shooter. I sent it to Smith and they replaced the extractor and 100% fixed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, I cleaned the gun perfectly, lubed it, checked every angle and every thing looks in order (although I don't know what direction or shape ejector or extractor look like in M&P 9 (I appreciated if someone post a photo)

and went to range tried 3 different ammos and paied attention to ejection than target this time :

WWB, CCI Blazer and UMC 50 of each

RESULTS:

- Some of brasses (may be 30%) ejected about 3-4 ft behind me (@ 5-6 O'Clock)

Some of them hit's the ceiling of range (about 3-4 ft height from position of gun) and either piled into range booth''s tray or backed to my face

And some (about 20%) on my shoulder, head or inside my shirt

Only a small percentage ejected on 3 or 4 O'clock and hit the booth's wall

I tried each mag with same ammo as well as mixed ammos, and there was no relation between type of ammo and the ejection direction.

I tried one hand, intentionaly limp wrist , even loose grip - no relation again (BTW a +1 for this gun for not failure of any kind with any holding condition - only ejection direction problem)

Although I admit that I didn't pay attention much into my aiming but I noticed gun tend to shoot left

SO another 150 rounds wasted into range to figure out where MR. SMITH spitting - any input from expert appreciated, does this need go back to S&W OR need another chance?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Have you read my post? Send it back. I put 1000's of rounds through it and no change... searched for weeks on a fix, nothing. Lots of ideas but no mechanical fix.

·
Registered
673 Posts
tmodesto said:
sorry 243W - did you send it to S&W?

No worries mate.

Yea sent it off after several weeks of frustrated shooting. I mean every shot bar about 10/1000 hit me.

Got it back with a complete new slide. I have a feeling that the ejection port is slightly lower than the original one??? The extractor may have something to do with it, but the original ejector is still in/ Brass pops out kind of lazy to 4 o'clock, 3~4 feet away now...

Sorry, you got a dud. Send it off.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts