MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I just took out my new M&P9 to the range yesterday evening. Man that thing shoots like a dream. Very nice.

HOWEVER...it keeps ejecting the casing straight back. A buddy actually got some hot brass hung between his shooting glasses and eyebrow. haha, that was funny...

But I've seen this complaint on other posts. Has it been determined if this is actually something wrong with the firearm, or something that will smooth out with "break-in."

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ouch for me too

OK - I had the same problem in my full sized 9. I was using either Blazer Brass or WWB. It may have been laughable to the observer but the casing went back underneath my shooting glasses and left me with a burn mark on my cheekbone. It's not funny when on the receiving end.

I know there are guys out there that suggest a different grip and sure enough, I haven't had that happen to me again. Still, I don't hear about this problem with other manufacturers. Caveat M&P Shooter

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh trust me, I've had my fair share of hot-brass (coming off an AR is really no fun). It got me a few times too. One actually bounced right past my head and landed in my collar. Not cool (literally)...

Well...anyway...maybe I just need a firmer grip? I dunno...

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Re: Ouch for me too

jrx35 said:
Still, I don't hear about this problem with other manufacturers. Caveat M&P Shooter

I see 1911's specifically Kimbers doing it all the time, most often on the last round but I have seen plenty(1911s) do it on darn near every round.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem... even had some brass eject to the left! I just shipped my M&P9 to S&W this morning to fix it, so I'll post when I get it back.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My goodness, I just bought it Tuesday. Surely I'm not going to have to ship it to S&W right out of the gate. :?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Take it easy newb, don't let the experience of the minority frighten you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I'm just starting to wonder if I've got one with extractor issues. Based on my serial and the info in the "serial number" sticky, I think my pistol was manufactured in February of this year. The fired brass included in the box was dated March of this year (07). Hrmmm....

Regardless if it shoots the brass back in my face....the thing feels and shoots sweet. haha

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
As already mentioned, check your grip and break it in. If that doesn't work and you have to send it in I'm sure they'll take care of it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have put a little over 21,000 rounds through 2 M&P 40s. The only time I have brass come straight back is when I am practicing week hand. I know it's improper hold when mine does it. But I am glad to say that my week hand shooting is getting pretty good, and the hold seems more natural now. My second M&P 40 has 10,000 rounds through it and not one problem so far! It's a great piece. Like it, and trust it more than any other pistol I have had.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
rowe_s said:
I have put a little over 21,000 rounds through 2 M&P 40s. The only time I have brass come straight back is when I am practicing week hand. I know it's improper hold when mine does it. But I am glad to say that my week hand shooting is getting pretty good, and the hold seems more natural now. My second M&P 40 has 10,000 rounds through it and not one problem so far! It's a great piece. Like it, and trust it more than any other pistol I have had.

That's what we like to hear!!! :wink:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Early Steyr M series where notorious for ejecting brass back at you. Made no difference what ammo or grip.

My M&P has been perfect as has my Steyr M40A1.

Love em both.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've been following this thread since it started. I honestly don't think that the user's grip has anything to do with it. It seems this probem is unique to the M&P FS 9mm (at least with the M&Ps). A better grip may "help" but I highly doubt it's the root of the problem.

I can grip my 9mm with anything from a weak to very strong grip and I still get occational cases spit at my face. I can grip my .40 weak hand, weak grip withough any such issues. Sorry.. I don't buy the limp wristing theory on this. I do notice however that hotter 9mm loads have this problem less often- ie. UMC MUCH more of a problem than use WWB or good handloads. I have many guns and shoot them all the same and NONE of the others- Sigs, Glocks, Kahr, etc have this problem.

S&W has fixed some owner's guns by replacing/modifying parts. I'm not sure what the problem is or how common it is, but until you get one of these guns- it's getting frustrating hearing people recommending a better grip.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you're right on the grip theory not being the problem. Went out and put a few more rounds through it last night, specifically focusing on my grip. I seriously think it's the weapon. Oh well...I'll see if it gets any better after a few hundred rounds, then I'll look into getting it fixed if the problem persists. Regardless, the weapon itself is a sweet shooting machine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my MP9. Shot 100 rounds of local range ammo and 200 rounds of Blazer Alum (separate days) and had easily 100 casings hit my head and several that went down my shirt (not fun). The MP9 I rented from this same range, before I bought mine, did not have the same problems. In fact, I didn't even wear eye protection when I was renting it! I wouldn't even consider firing my gun without my shooting glasses now.

I'm considering sending it to S&W to see if they can fix the problem. But I don't like to be too hasty with things like this. I suppose it's still possible it may have something to do with my grip, and until I can get a shooting instructor to look at me I don't want to draw conclusions. Although the fact that the rental MP9 didn't have this problem at all really has me thinking it's my particular gun instead of my grip.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
With the case being ejected straight back, you simply can NOT rule out someone's grip without watching them shoot. Many makes and models of guns will do this if you have a bad grip/stance (upper body part of the stance).

Another extenuating circumstance that is going to keep cropping up with 9mm is the design of the cartidge with regards to the extractor groove. Unle .40 or .45, there isn't much room there. On top of that, with ammo prices rising, you ahve a lot more people moving to 9mm, plus you have all the military ammo orders on top of it. This means most places are running their 9mm bullet manucfactureing machines, case manufacturing machines, and assembly machines 24-7. Some of them are simply wearing out and having to have their tooling replaced. This means in some calibers, we are seeing ammo in some calibers that is more variable than we had before. For those of us who are younger, probably more variable than we might have ever seen in our lives.

You add ammo manufacturing tolerances at the extreme to pistol manufacturing tolerances at the extreme, and you can see problems. Which is one of the reasons you aren't hearing about this in .40. The cartridge design leaves a lot more room to avoid this issue. Which is one of the things I like about the cartridge, as it's easier to make a beefy, reliable extractor for it, and thus a potentially more reliable gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check out this vid that I took several weeks ago. It shows me putting two mags down range. At least two from each mag hit me.

I'm pretty sure my grip is decent. I'm pretty sure that I'm not limp wristing because it comes back on target quickly. I do, still, flinch a bit when I shoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85s4poqaIwk

·
Registered
3 Posts
My MP40 (MPA9xxx) has just recently started developing this problem, after 1200-1500 rounds. Probably 1 in 10 rounds flies out over the top instead of off to the side. This has been annoying with live fire, and I've also been able to demonstrate the behavior cycling snap caps or spent cartridges by hand, both when I rack the slide fast and when I rack it dead slow in order to watch the eject behavior. I haven't really been able to tell if the cartridge is sitting on the slide face any differently during extraction between well-behaved and misbehaving rounds, but the moment the casing hits the ejector, you can clearly see it start to either properly rotate clockwards out of the side of the chamber or straight upwards out over the top.

I'm also in the camp that doesn't believe it's grip related, both because I can watch it happen when cycling manually and because since it's started, I've been explicitly concentrating on putting a strong and proper grip on the gun, and it hasn't affected the results at all.

Now, my ejector is a little "loose", which is to say that if I apply some force, I can cause the entire sear assembly to shift a hair on its roll pin. I don't know if this is any more loose than it came from the factory or not, but it's still a very small amount of slop, which I wouldn't second guess at all if I wasn't having an ejection problem.

I was pondering shipping my M&P back anyways so that I can hopefully score a free mag while getting the updated slide release, so this will be just a further excuse to do so.

Jim

1 - 20 of 37 Posts