MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new M&P 9mm has been spitting cases straight back at me. I've tried 3 types of ammo and they all do the same. The extractor looks fine and I can't see anything wrong with the ejector. Any ideas? Anyone else have this happen to them? I had a Sig that did this till I had over 500 rounds through it. Quite annoying!

EDIT: btw- it's not limp wristing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
rjhauser said:
since you have ruled out limpwristing like it is a bad thing, good luck finding your problem

Limp wristing is not always the problem. Try a different brand of ammunition. Make sure the ejector and extractor are properly adjusted...have a S&W gunsmith look at them if you don't know what you are looking for. Let someone else shoot the gun to rule out your grip. If it does the same thing for all shooters, send it back to S&W for warranty repair. FYI: I usually cure the problem simply by switching brands of ammo.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
try cleaning extractor first.

then try another brand of ammo.

LAST change the angles of the claw.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jester said:
try cleaning extractor first.

then try another brand of ammo.

LAST change the angles of the claw.

Thanks, I just gave it a good cleaning last night... didn't notice anything too dirty around the extractor. Tried 3 brands of ammo all of which work well in more other half dozen plus 9mms.

I'm not to interested in mucking with the claw (well maybe if I can find spares) but what would one do do it? What kind of angles? I assume the ejector AND extractor both play in the ejection of cases correct?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my full sized 9. Similiar results with 6 different types of ammo and 5 shooters. I will be interested to hear what you find. (~950 rounds through it)

·
Registered
215 Posts
lugnut said:
My new M&P 9mm has been spitting cases straight back at me. I've tried 3 types of ammo and they all do the same. The extractor looks fine and I can't see anything wrong with the ejector. Any ideas? Anyone else have this happen to them? I had a Sig that did this till I had over 500 rounds through it. Quite annoying!

EDIT: btw- it's not limp wristing.

Call Snith & Wesson these pistols do have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had a Sig that did this till I had over 500 rounds through it. Quite annoying!
my Sig is doing it too :? it only has has 450 rounds thu it... my Steyr did that as well...

But my M&P9 and 92FS have always had 100% consistant ejection. I'd say if it doesn't stop send it to S&W :wink: btw how many rounds did you shoot thu it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's happening with my new FS 9mm. I shot Winchester White box and Speer Gold Dot +p's. The gold dots did fly farther but certainly not as far as they do with my other guns. The Winchesters were flying straight up and landing on my head and face. Unfortunately I wasn't wearing my hat. My other 9mms (S&W 6906, Sig 226) throw the brass well away from me. I've only shot 250 rounds through it so far. I'll wait till i reach 500-700 before I send it in if it's still happening.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
About 150 rounds so far. I did call S&W to see if this was a "break in" thing. The gentleman I talked with didn't know of any existing problems. He was sending me a prepaid label and if the problem doesn't go away in after a couple hundred or so more rounds I can send it back.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I've fired a friend's M&P 9 that did the same thing. I'd be interested in hearing what the fix for it is.

·
Registered
215 Posts
FieroCDSP said:
I've fired a friend's M&P 9 that did the same thing. I'd be interested in hearing what the fix for it is.
Probably back to the point of origin, Springfield MA

·
Registered
7 Posts
My M&P9 has been doing the same thing, so I did a side by side test of aluminum vs. brass cartridges today. The brass (WWB) definitely ejected much better and none hit me at all. The aluminum (blazer) was all over the place, and hit me almost half of the time. Unfortunately, the blazer is the cheapest that I can find.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hmm

I'm a lefty and the M&P I rented did this to me. I know leftys get hit alot more often, but I don't seem to have the problem as much with my Sig.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I haven't had this problem with my 9mm , but before any smithing is done , you might try one of the other 2 back strap inserts that come with it . Switch to the sm or lge . Might be a waste of time or ?

Good luck !

·
Registered
512 Posts
I tried that with my full sized 9...no luck. The large backstrap feels much better in my hand; but does not change the brass flying back in my face. I definately did notice that my grouping and accuracy is significantly better even though the medium feels a little better.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts