MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an M&P15a, and I belive its time to add some accessories. I was probably just looking at the 12/13 models. Will i need to get a mount as well, like the LaRue. I wouldnt might the FS being in the lower proportion if anything. I just havnt found any pictures comparing different risers. Thanks.

Any suggestions/advises are welcome.

PS whats a good price? I got around 315 quoted to me for the 512.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I literally just sold my lightly used(100 rounds maybe) EOTech 553.a65 two days ago for $450. If you haven't ever used one I suggest you try one out first. I also suggest you give an Aimpoint and ACOG a try as well. I thought my EOTech was awesome before I tried an Aimpoint - got my Aimpoint Comp ML2 in the mail this afternoon and it's much nicer than the EO.

My biggest qualm with the EO was the ring and reticle - both were grainy as hell, and got worse as the brightness went up. Very annoying.

A 512 for $315 is decent for used or great for new. With a MIL discount I can get a new 512 RevF for $339 from rainierarms. As far as risers go you can never go wrong with LaRue stuff, but it's not cheap - $119 for a riser. YHM makes one that's much less.

I can't comment on the risers and what combos equal where the BUIS lies in the sight picture of the EOTech. I don't use BUIS as my AR is a range gun/bedside(shooting 20 feet to the door) gun. If my electronic sights die my paper targets and soda cans live to see another day. I may pick up some Centurion C4 Diopter HK style BUIS soon, though, just for fun.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the EOTech 512. I paid about $370 for mine, so your price quote seems pretty good. I have it mounted on a M&P15T so I mounted the optic with the mount that comes with it. I have the BUIS sights folded down.

I liked the fact that I did not have to buy a mount to attach the optic. You could try it out with out a mount for a while to see if you think you need one.

The EOTech has a 1 moa dot with a ring. The instructions say to adjust the brightness so that the ring is transparent. I have tried to do this and it seems to work fairly well for me. The ring is a bit grainy but the dot seems very clear to me. I was thinking that with the smaller dot, that I could use the optic for targets further out with out covering as much of the target.

I was making hits on a paper plate at 200 meters off of a sandbag rest. From what I remember the dot was covering most of the paper plate at that distance.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
+1 EOTech, I have the 551 mounted on 10/22 and simply love it. I use my Aimpoint system for my M&P15A, but occasionally change out without a problem.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input.

I was looking at Aimpoints but Eotechs were more in my price range and seemed just as popular in general. I know my range has a 9mm AR w/ Aimpoint, you can rent so I might try that out. Thats the typical range shooter use in Aimpoint?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I went with a Dominator II mount which includes a rear sight and gives a nice lower third co-witness! I prefer eotech over aimpoint mostly because it is a smaller package and easier to aquire targets up close. JMHO

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Let me add that you NEED to get your hands on one on a rifle and see if the reticle works for you.

For some folks the reticle just doesn't tend to work/look right. I'm one of them. I think it has to do with if you have an astigmatism and how well it is corrected. Mines corrected well enough that red dots look like dots instead of a teardrop that is blurry at one end, but the EOTECHs are just all kind of buzzy and fuzzy for me.

I'm not the only one, a number of people I shoot with have the same issue. However, some people I shoot with who HAVE an astigmatism and have it corrected have no issues with the sight when wearing the proper prescription.

Just a warning that might save you a few hundred.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the EOTech 512 and the EOTech 3X magnifier on my M&P15. Since the issue was brought up, I would like to know what's the purpose of a riser block. Doesn't that change your target height? I just mount my EOTech gear on my flat top. Is a riser really necessary?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
How high it sits off the flat-top has no bearing really. You HAVE to sight it in like any scope. Lifting it up allows a co-witness of your iron sights through the Eotech window. I prefer to have the irons lower and not interfering with the red dot.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My biggest qualm with the EO was the ring and reticle - both were grainy as hell, and got worse as the brightness went up. Very annoying.

As stated above, your eye sight can affect this.

I have a stronger set of glasses that gives me a headache if I wear them all the time - but I use them to shoot at the range.

With my normal, everyday glasses, the circle is a bit blurry. With the stronger glasses, the sight is perfect.

The holo image is projected to infinity. For it to be clear, U need good eyesight at a distance. If your eyesight is bad and your glasses don't give U 20/20, then U won't see it as clear.

Also, an astigmatism will also affect your use of the Eotech.

·
Registered
37 Posts
EO's are great sight's I really don't see the need for a riser on mine. Sighted in at 100 yards and the dot sits just above the front post. Put an ARMS #40 BUIS and I'm good to go. I myself love the ring and dot set up on the EOtech. At 75-100 yards using a IDPA target just put the ring around the target and you will get good, fast center mass hits. can't beat an EO for quick multiple target shooting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts