MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I think I'm about to get an M&P 9, but I have one question.

I was in the gun shop the other day and saw a M&P 45 with an external safety much like those on some 1911's. I was unaware the M&P could have this feature. So I asked the salesman to check to see if this option was available for the M&P 9, but he said no, only on the 45.

So I was wondering if the parts for this safety could be purchased and installed on an M&P 9, to give the M&P 9 this external safety. I like external safeties, just for my personal peace of mind.

Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
S&W Says No

I talked to S&W a few days ago and asked about retrofitting a thumb safety to other M&P pistol... I was told no, it could not be done....

Looking at the guns, I can't see why it can't be done... but it is possible I am missing something...

FWIW

Chuck

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
there are two notches on the top of the frame that the .9 and .40 dont have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The full size 45ACP has it becuase they made a bunch for testing, there was a contract out to swtich to a 45ACP service pistol.

But it's been shut down, Mmm think Berretta dropped some money so they could keep the contact? I talked to a officer buddie of mine who is still active duty USMC. I have been out since 03 and he said they were stocking up on 45ACP ammo.

Also someone I talked at federal LE said the same thing, they were buying a lot of 45ACP ammo when the contract was still open. They is why you still a few new 45ACP models like the M&P with a safety.

·
Registered
319 Posts
When i got my M&P, my only wish was that mine came with external safety. Since i came from log line of Beretta and 1911's.

After carrying M&P with one in tube for about 8 months, i don't see the need of external safety really... Just one more think that can get in the way of shooting the bad guy

·
Registered
280 Posts
With a little ingenuity and a talented gunsmith, I don't see why this could not be accomplished. There are smiths who do after market thumb safeties on Glock pistols, so why not M&Ps?

I'm thinking a small lever or bar to intercept the striker would be the easiest way to do it. It IS possible, just perhaps not easy

·
Registered
464 Posts
The .45acp, best manstopper allaround round I ever found.

Try a .45 you'll never go back to the 9mm. Maybe to a .40 but never a 9mm. :wink:

A 9mm Baretta in combat is a joke, Its why we are going back to the .45. Screw NATO.

I owe my life to a 1911 several times over. My new M&P .45 fits right in perfectly.

(this is not intended to start a .cal war its just this life educated Rangers opinion.)

·
Registered
60 Posts
The contract for a new service pistol is on hold until all 5 branches can get together and agree on a common spec. There was also talk of including other federal agencies to make armory and service easier.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The safety is there on the 45 because it was a requirement on one of the early 45 military contracts, and was easy to engineer into the integral safety all M&Ps have as an option. Don't know how popular an option it would be for civilian/LE sales. I like it on mine.

Spent a lot of time carrying 1911s/BHPS and my thumb wipes off the safety even when it isn't there, so I might as well have it there.

What 5 branches?

DOD has 4: USA, USN, USAF, USMC.

The USCG is part of the DHS and switched to .40s (SIG P229R-DAK) a couple yrs ago.

The Army's Future Handgun System (FHS) was merged w the Special Operations Forces Combat Pistol (SOF CP) into the Joint Combat Pistol (JCP) program. When the Army pulled out of that, it went back to the CP, then that was indefinitely postponed. Then the USAF tried to buy a new pistol in amounts to cover the rest of DOD. That got shot down twice too.

Now they are trying to decide who wants what and how many before trying yet again.

Meanwhile USA, USAF, and USMC have contracted for up to 70,000 more M9/M9A1s and 14 million more new M9 mags.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts