MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to give you folks a heads up or if anyone has come across this problem.

Took 5 of our officers out on the range today to qualify on their new M&P 40's all 5 new guns ,shot approx 150 rounds 165gr federal. While observing the shooters on the line I noticed one of my shooters had a pertruding pin sticking out of the top of the slide. I stopped to inspect his firearm and noticed that the pin securing the extractor was backing out of the slide approx 1/8 of an inch.

I took a spent brass casing and pushed it back into position and test fired it myself and noticed it was still backing out but not as much, but only fired 2 full magazines. Other than that guns fired perfect with no malfunctions and increased qualifing scores also.

Has anyone else had this problem? Will be contacting S&W LE on Monday.

Serial Number MPN3XXX

·
Registered
573 Posts
First I have heard of that problem. Mine is in so tight that I think it will take a press to get it out. Did any of the other M&P's have a similar problem? How old is the gun?? Just curious...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we ordered 14 M&P's and so far 6 are ok, still have 7 more officers to quailify so will advise on the rest when I finish the rest up. The gun is brand new MPN serial number which should be latest production. The guns I did today were all pressed in and recessed into the slide and all look very secure except the one in question.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm curious to see how the rest of the guns do. Our agency is looking at getting M&P's (about 100 of us are armed) to replace our Beretta's. Please keep us posted on you results!

By the way, I love your avatar!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just think this was a freak gun that missed the press IMO, but if it was it should have never gotten passed quaility control and out onto the streets in a Officers hands, lets see what Smith has to say.

We had another agency stop by the range and they are all Glock 22 shooters and they loved our new M&P's. Smiths on the right track and I do believe they will put a hurt on Glock sales.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No Problems

Our Mich, Sheriff dept. received 100 M&P 40's back in Dec, everyone qualified in Jan. So far I have heard of no problems except S&W has sent us out mag release pins to replace for everyone. And the mags sometime rattle. Everyone enjoys shooting them. We all had another practice shoot this month, again no problems. I have aprox, 1,500 rounds through mine, no faults yet.

Yesterday I was a the range and then went inside the Gun Shop and there it was??? The new M&P 45 cal. Had to handle it, thats all it took. I have to get one now for sure.

rogero / Mi. LEO

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Re: No Problems

rost0125 said:
Our Mich, Sheriff dept. received 100 M&P 40's back in Dec, everyone qualified in Jan. So far I have heard of no problems except S&W has sent us out mag release pins to replace for everyone. And the mags sometime rattle. Everyone enjoys shooting them. We all had another practice shoot this month, again no problems. I have aprox, 1,500 rounds through mine, no faults yet.

Yesterday I was a the range and then went inside the Gun Shop and there it was??? The new M&P 45 cal. Had to handle it, thats all it took. I have to get one now for sure.

rogero / Mi. LEO

What is the "mag release pin"?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
spoke with LE sales rep today and was advised that this is the first incident on file with this problem. He too was surprized that this happened but promised S&W will make good on the problem. He was going to contact the factory and find out a solution, possibly sending out another slide and repairing the problem.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: No Problems

YukonGlocker said:
[quote name='rost0125']Our Mich, Sheriff dept. received 100 M&P 40's back in Dec, everyone qualified in Jan. So far I have heard of no problems except S&W has sent us out mag release pins to replace for everyone. And the mags sometime rattle. Everyone enjoys shooting them. We all had another practice shoot this month, again no problems. I have aprox, 1,500 rounds through mine, no faults yet.

rogero / Mi. LEO

What is the "mag release pin"?[/quote]

I believe he is refering to a mag catch.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Factory said first recorded incident of this, they will send a replacement slide and old one will be returned for inspection.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Smith has still not corrected the problem, been waiting for a replacement slide for this gun for over 2 weeks and have yet to hear back from Smith after numerous emails to LE Rep. Not a good way of handling a LE issue with pistol still in service.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I spoke to another board member on the phone last night and his extractor pin is protruding out the bottom of the slide.

He's going to call S&W today.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts