MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just finished the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Class. We intend to spend more time at one of a few different ranges this year and feel the need to upgrade our eye and ear protection. For eye wear, I am thinking anything that wraps around and is either clear or lightly tinted would be good. Any other options that I should consider? For ear protection, I see a lot of high priced battery operated models but before I sink that type of money in them I would appreciate some feedback (pro or con). Are these really much more effective than the non-battery models? Also, what level of noise reduction is reasonable (more than 20 I guess but geez do you need 30 or more?) I don't mind investing in quality equipment but I hate to over spend especially when I have to keep saving every penny for the new M&P .45 that I can't live without and the Springfield .45 that my wife can't live without!

By the way, we took the class at A&S Indoor Pistol Range in Youngwood, PA and I would highly recommend them; great facility and everyone that works there is very knowledgeable and friendly.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
You might check out the MP Store: https://www.mp-store.com/~mpstorec/

You get the best hearing protection from the non electronic headsets, I have the Peltor Ultimate 10 which is a great model with a very high rating, they aren't expensive and can be found everywhere shooting accessories are sold. Look for a protection rating over 25 db.

Electronic protection is coming on strong, I also have the Peltor Tactical Sports, this is a good electronic hearing muff for a reasonable price, the Tactical Sports model is good since it uses standard AAA batteries, it's easy to replace the batteries, and it's set up so that it shuts off automatically after 2 hours, so if you forget to turn it off, it will turn itself off, this is a MAJOR advantage compared to other models, if you forget to turn them off, they will run the batteries down.

The main advantage to the electronic is that you can still hear pretty well, but they will shut out gunshots, the downside is that they aren't as effective at noise reduction, they are rated at 20 db, and the compartment your ears fit into is much smaller and shallower than some of the non electronic models.

The MP Store has a good price on that model: http://www.mp-store.com/product_info.php?c...bd4d4288d7993da

·
Registered
5,062 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
EYE-Ears

I have custom ear plugs made by a local Dr. about $100

I also have muffs from Harbor Frieght About $30, these are

battery powered and work well, might be cheaper on thier

web site. Good Luck

·
Registered
171 Posts
Info on custom plugs?

Where can I get more info on custom earplugs?

These would be great for work as well as the range.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I buy disposable plugs by the case and use Peltor Utimate 10 muffs on top of those. Some of the sound of gunfire is transmited by the bone structure in your head and not just the air in your ear canal. Muffs do a good job of reducing the sound transmision through the bone structure.

Double plugging will really cut out the shots, you can hear yourself breathing.

For shooting matches, I just use the muffs alone. Some day I will get some electronic muffs and use disposable plugs under them. You get better protection than electronic muffs alone and you can crank em up enough to hear well through the plugs.

On thing about Peltor Utimate 10s is that they are bulky and get knocked around by shotgun and rifle stocks. If you do lots of long gun shooting you may want to find a slimmer set of muffs.

Thanks, Gringop

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I like muffs, never used them until about 6 months ago. I use Peltor Shotgunners and ESS Ice Naro's simply because they were issued and have optical inserts... :wink:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use Laser Lite disposables (bought by the case for under $0.10/pair) under Radians Pro-Amp electronic muffs. Very good NRR and I can still carry on a conversation.

Best Regards,

M&P9C

·
Registered
541 Posts
Re: EYE-Ears

8th SPS USAF said:
I have custom ear plugs made by a local Dr. about $100

I also have muffs from Harbor Frieght About $30, these are

battery powered and work well, might be cheaper on thier

web site. Good Luck

I saw these cheap muffs at Harbor Freight as well and am going to pick up a pair as a backup or for anyone that happens to go shooting with me.

http://tinyurl.com/2kydok <--- link to Harbor Freight $20 electronic earmuffs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts