MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A shooting partner of mine uses one of my Browning BDA380's when we go shooting. She finally decided to get her own gun and opted for the EZ 380. Using 100 grain RN bullets with IMR PB, Hodgon's 700-X and HP-38 the first range session was a total disaster. The gun refused to cycle reliably, you could not get through one magazine without a FTL, FTF or FTE. I brought the gun home and polished the feed ramp and extractor and was able to hand cycle easily. Off to the range we went today with PB, HP-38 and this time several loads with Alliant Bullseye. PB refused to cycle the action but HP-38 and Bullseye sent round after round down range without any issues. The polishing of the feed ramp and extractor seemed to do the trick. She did not shoot for accuracy, that's for the next range session, today's session was to get the EZ to cycle.

I read as much as I could and watched several YT videos to see if this was a common problem with the EZ but nothing popped up suggesting the EZ 380 had cycling issues. So, if you experienced the same issues as we did with the EZ380, don't give up, polish the feed ramp and extractor and find the ammo that it likes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The most common problem that I know of is that the last round of a magazine stovepipes straight up instead of feeding into the chamber. Mine does that "sometimes" but not every time and not every magazine. Yes, I have my magazines numbered and keep track of which ones do that.

The most serious problem I see with the EZ for SD purposes is that you can NOT load a full magazine (or even a downloaded one) when there is a round in the chamber. I know that most people are not going to be using their EZ's for competition and most people will not be in a position of having to do a quick mag change in a SD situation either. But your friend needs to be aware that the slide must be locked back and the chamber empty in order to load a loaded magazine.

My EZ really is EZ to use and a ton of fun to shoot, but for me it has become a range toy only. My carry gun is a SIG P238, which is every bit as easy to rack, has a very nice, smooth trigger, etc. I use the 7 round mags in it most of the time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
But your friend needs to be aware that the slide must be locked back and the chamber empty in order to load a loaded magazine.
Thanks for that head's up, I was not aware of that issue...I also have a P238, nice gun but I would have gotten the Sig P239 if it was available at the time of my purchase. I have since added a Kahr PM9 to my collection, now that is a sweet gun, virtually the same size as the P238 but in 9mm.

BTW, I'm 76 and my shooting and motorcycling pal is 74. We hit the bricks today with a ride 80 miles to our east on I-90 to Cle Elum, WA. for lunch.

Edit: I just checked the loaded magazine install as described by Granny. It went in fully loaded with 8 rounds and one in the chamber. I do admit that it took a good whap to engage the magazine catch.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Edit: I just checked the loaded magazine install as described by Granny. It went in fully loaded with 8 rounds and one in the chamber. I do admit that it took a good whap to engage the magazine catch.
Some STRONG GUYS have reported that they can force the magazine in. However, we old ladies (older than you are!) can no way do that. In fact, even my "strong" old guy hubby couldn't get it to actually go all the way in and he 'whapped' it REALLY HARD. I was afraid he was going to break the magazine catch since they are pretty thin in most guns anyway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, got it...next range session, I'll note how she engages the magazine. Her gun is for range use, she doesn't intend on carrying or even for home defense (I think).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just a thought - I've never shot 100gr bullets through my EZ. I buy only brass cased factory ammo and almost all of it is 95 gr, not that it should make a bunch of difference for 5gr, but thought I'd mention that. I have not tried HP's in it because of it being a range toy, but my EZ has functioned fine with 4 or 5 different brands of factory brass cased ammo: Blazer Brass, Aguila, and other similar brands.

"Functioned fine" except for those sometime last round stovepipes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use 90-100 grain round nose bullets for 380 range loads. I have some Hornady XTP JHPs for carrying, however, I seldom ever carry a 380. My P238 was intended as carry gun while riding my motorcycle. Because of its small size, it fits flat in my leather vest's internal gun pocket. As I get older, frankly I'm caring less if my gun prints. I can easily carry a full sized 9mm (CZ75/PT92) in a hip holster while riding with the muzzle showing. The largest gun I can carry in my car (Corvette) is a 4" barrel of any caliber. Not much wiggle room in the Vette. Anyhow, some gun's feed ramps don't like JHP's because of the diameter of the bullets nose and the angle of the ramp. You really need to confirm the JHP round will feed reliably before carrying it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Question for you two: Does your grip safety go flush with the grip when you squeeze it, 1911 style? I just picked up the PC 380 EZ and it seems that not only is the grip safety larger than the standard EZ, but that only about half of it depresses into the grip. It's a little pinchy on top even.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JJ: No, it does not go flush into the grip. I never paid any attention to that but it does not go flush just as you described your PC version. My other grip safety guns, Springfield XD Mod 2's in 40 S&W and 45ACP, both go flush.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I do not have the PC model and my grip safety does go flush when pressed properly. I've seen that issue on other threads and people are trying to get the standard grip safety to replace the PC one.

Personally, from what little I've seen and heard about all of the S&W performance center models (all calibers, all styles), I'll happily stick with the regular ones!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After reading Granny's post, I rechecked "my" EZ 380 V2 and it absolutely does not go flush. I say "my" with quotes as it belongs to my motorcycle and shooting partner who wants the gun in my locker.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'll recheck mine next time we retrieve guns from the safe - to make sure that "flush" is actually "flush." Anyway, when I press in on it firmly the gun works great, and I always wear shooting gloves so it is possible it might still stick out a tad. However, when I finish cleaning it and pull the trigger to de-cock the hammer (dry fire), I don't notice the grip safety bar sticking out against my bare hand.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is yours a V1 (if there is such a version) or V2? Whether it goes flush or not, the gun works great either way.

·
Registered
108 Posts
They weren't on the market for a really long time (two years ago) when I traded in my Bersa BP380cc for my Shield EZ, so I'm guessing it is V1 - if there is such a thing. LOL

I got hardly anything for the Bersa as a trade, but couldn't rack the slide anymore and it was a bear to take apart and put back together due to the almost imperceptible tiny "scratch marks" that had to be exactly lined up. I did have two excellent holsters for it, though and BOTH FIT the Shield EZ and also fit my M&P .22 compact, so I was pretty happy about that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts