MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone yet makes a bit heavier recoil spring. Perhaps this and some judicious feed ramp polishing would solve the problem.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Leaving your mags fully loaded will help the mag springs to take their set. That’ll make feeding the first round a bit easier with the lighter weight recoil springs used in the EZ models.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You're asking to change the basic design of the EZ by putting in a heavier recoil spring. Not sure this would be a good idea. To me and a lot of other people, it seems to be the magazine springs that cause the problems. My .380 EZ will stovepipe the last round in a magazine - full round, not chambered, but sitting straight up - but not every magazine and not every time.

Since this is not a SD gun for me I haven't called S&W yet, but will do so if the problem gets consistently worse. It didn't happen at all until after I shot several hundred rounds through it.

I've read that some of the EZ's have different feeding problems. It seems to be a finicky gun, both in 9mm and in the original .380. Fun to shoot when it works, though.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
You're asking to change the basic design of the EZ by putting in a heavier recoil spring. Not sure this would be a good idea. To me and a lot of other people, it seems to be the magazine springs that cause the problems. My .380 EZ will stovepipe the last round in a magazine - full round, not chambered, but sitting straight up - but not every magazine and not every time.

Since this is not a SD gun for me I haven't called S&W yet, but will do so if the problem gets consistently worse. It didn't happen at all until after I shot several hundred rounds through it.

I've read that some of the EZ's have different feeding problems. It seems to be a finicky gun, both in 9mm and in the original .380. Fun to shoot when it works, though.
Granny:

As strange as it sounds; consistently stove-piping the last round sounds like the round is releasing from the mag feed lips early, which may be due to a weak mag spring. Either that, or those too strong mag springs y’all talk about have caused the feed lips to spread.

An unreliable pistol that’s designed to be a carry gun, whether you carry it or not, is not acceptable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Granny:

As strange as it sounds; consistently stove-piping the last round sounds like the round is releasing from the mag feed lips early, which may be due to a weak mag spring. Either that, or those too strong mag springs y’all talk about have caused the feed lips to spread.

An unreliable pistol that’s designed to be a carry gun, whether you carry it or not, is not acceptable.
Some of the EZ's stovepipe consistently. Mine is hit or miss. I have my magazines numbered and at most it has been 2 out of the 6 of them...........but not necessarily the same 2 from one range session to another. Today I only took 4 mags and no stovepipes at all.

The magazine springs are most positively, definitely, for sure, not too strong!

I agree with your comment about an unreliable pistol. However, an awful lot of people have gone back to S&W and the company sent them replacement springs for the mags, but they still had the problems. It is a puzzlement.

At least it is a fairly cheap gun, compared to several others I own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts