MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if there is any manufacture out there making lighter 9mm loads for competition. I realize must guys/women would reload their own, I haven't gotten there just yet and just wondered if I could buy some? By searching the internet and these forums, nothing found. Any advise?

·
Registered
437 Posts
My CZ's seem to really like the 115 grain FMJ ammo from Federal. I can get the 100 round boxes at Walmart for around $17 or 18 a box most of the time.

Accurate and reliable in the CZ's. The M&P doesn't seem to do so well with it but it wasn't doing well with anything I'd tried till I got the Apex barrel in it. I need to go back and revisit it's performance with the previously tried brands/bullet weights.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My CZ's seem to really like the 115 grain FMJ ammo from Federal. I can get the 100 round boxes at Walmart for around $17 or 18 a box most of the time.

Accurate and reliable in the CZ's. The M&P doesn't seem to do so well with it but it wasn't doing well with anything I'd tried till I got the Apex barrel in it. I need to go back and revisit it's performance with the previously tried brands/bullet weights.
What kind of CZ do you use? Do you shoot any competitions? I am thinking of changing to something else next year. I'm trying to give myself a chance to get a little better in the game first.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't shoot in competition. I just like to shoot and I carry (concealed off my property and open carry, or concealed, on my property).

My EDC concealed is a P07, but in .40 S&W. It has never had anything through it but reloads.

My concealed carry around my property is an Omega P01.

My most accurate CZ is a 9MM P09 that I keep in the bedroom.

I seem to have more CZ Compacts than anything else because that's what I carry. I tried carrying the P09 for a week (while the P07 was out getting the slide machined for the RMR) and hated it. Just too darned big/awkward to carry all the time - in my opinion.

P09 groups at 7 yds. with that Federal 115 grain FMJ.

First (upper left group is 3 shots). I made an adjustment to the RMR and then shot at the target company logo at the bottom right corner of the target. That group was 7 shots (emptied the magazine and put it away for the trip home from the range.)

One reason I use it as the accuracy standard for store bought ammo in my CZs. Like I said the new M&P 2.0 doesn't seem to like it as well as the CZs. Just the way it is. The M&P does better with a hot load from Winchester using the 124 grain FMJ ammo with the NATO designation on the box. That ammo is around $12 a box for 50 when you can find it at Walmart. I have gotten it on sale for about $10 a box off the internet.

·
Registered
209 Posts
the Fedreal syntech 150 are great rounds if you can't load you're own. I do reload , but over the winter our Dillon was down so I ran into
someone that was using them and tried them.
Now I keep 1000 rounds of these on hand just in case I run low on ours , they make minimum Power factor for USPSA minor 9
and they are not much hotter than the reloads we make. Target sports has them for 500 for $120.00 free shipping. Grab 500 and try them.
Federal Primers work well with M&p's I've run these through my CZ Shadow 2 ( my main rig) and my M&P 9L and had zero problems with either gun.
If they were under $200 a thousand, I'd grab a few more cases.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I'm wondering if there is any manufacture out there making lighter 9mm loads for competition. I realize must guys/women would reload their own, I haven't gotten there just yet and just wondered if I could buy some? By searching the internet and these forums, nothing found. Any advise?
I don’t know of any action handgun competition (IDPA, USPSA, IPSC) That allows powderpuff loads for use in competition.

Since I use IDPA as an opportunity to keep my handgun skills current (rather than a “sport”), my hand loads are full power, with the same recoil characteristics and POI as my full-house carry loads.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don’t know of any action handgun competition (IDPA, USPSA, IPSC) That allows powderpuff loads for use in competition.

Since I use IDPA as an opportunity to keep my handgun skills current (rather than a “sport”), my hand loads are full power, with the same recoil characteristics and POI as my full-house carry loads.
minimum power factor for 9mm in USPSA production/carry optics is quite a bit softer shooting than factory ammo,
you will never see any serious USPSA competitor using factory ammo during a match, at least at the matches I've been to over the last couple of years.
Coincidentally another 500 rounds of the syntech 150 just arrived today :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read everyone’s response, and thank you for all your advice. I’ll look into the Federal Syntech loads. Sounds like that might help. I hear what the last respond said about IDPA to keep up skills, is the reason I shoot USPSA and a similar league/club that is similar to IPDA. I’m not looking for powderpuff loads, just wondered about something not as hot as regular factory to get the muzzle on target a tad faster. I’m not very good now and just looking for help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Atlanta Arms and Ammo minor power factor loads.

Check Atlanta Arms and Ammo. They have minor loads, 130 power factor for USPSA.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
minimum power factor for 9mm in USPSA production/carry optics is quite a bit softer shooting than factory ammo,
you will never see any serious USPSA competitor using factory ammo during a match, at least at the matches I've been to over the last couple of years.
Coincidentally another 500 rounds of the syntech 150 just arrived today :)
I’ve never had any interest in shooting USPSA, but I guessed (wrongly obviously) that they’d have minimum power regs similar to IDPA.

I know that even back in the dark ages when I was shooting IPSC, they had minor and major power factors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts