MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I bought an M&P 9c this summer; during the past few months I've put about 600 rounds through it. Mostly FMJ because it is illegal to carry concealed in WI and I felt that practicing with JHP at this point would be an exercise in flushing money down the toilet.

Today, I decided it would be prudent to have some JHP ammunition for home defense purposes. I purchased, at the recommendation of this board, some Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P ammunition. I loaded up a mag, loaded said mag into the gun, and cycled a round into the chamber. When doing so, the slide got "stuck" in the back position. I could push the slide forward and it would cycle the round into the chamber, but if I didn't manually push the slide forward it would just stick. I've tried this multiple times, and it gets stuck every time. I even tried it with another brand of JHP (Winchester something; very old ammo for which I do not have the box anymore), and the same result occurred.

The odd thing, is that when I switch to my FMJ ammo (plain ole UMCs), the problem goes away. The action of cycling seems a little bit slower than it used to when I first had the gun, but the problem with that assumption is that I haven't fired the gun lately (I live in a college town with a notable lack of gun ranges and as a result only shoot when I'm at home with my parents three hours away) and as a result I haven't seen any rounds cycled through it in a live-fire situation.

I plan on going to a range Friday and shooting some of the JHP rounds to see what happens. At this point, I realize that there isn't much that I can do in terms of identifying and diagnosing the problem until I get to the range and see how it does when cycling rounds in a live-fire environment. Can I expect normal operation with the gun ejecting rounds as part of normal firing when using the JHP? I'm guessing I won't have the same problem (or any problem at all) with the FMJ loads.

I would love to hear the board's opinion on this issue. Is this something I should bring to the attention of S&W? Is it a known issue? It seems like the problem might stem from the same issue as the FTE problems some of the M&P guns are having, but at the same time I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to handgunnery, and as a result I am now here.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say, and I will post range updates over the course of the weekend.

·
Registered
348 Posts
some types of JHP cammo tend to "hang" on the feed ramp, depending on OAL and the shape of the bullet and things like that.

I have one handgun that will ONLY feed DPX JHP ammo. and one that will feed anything.

are you sure with the JHP you are pulling the slide back and "letting it fly" and not using the slide release to drop the slide, or possibly "riding the slide"?

FMJ ball ammo is a lot less sensitive to that sort of thing...nothing to hang up on....

good luck at the range with it.....

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
rjhauser said:
I have one handgun that will ONLY feed DPX JHP ammo. and one that will feed anything.

A handgun that does not properly function with all SAAMI spec ammunition is not suitable for personal defense, imho, and if I couldn't resolve the issue I'd send the gun back for repair under warranty.

Things to try:

• Clean the chamber really well. Although doubtful, there could have been enough buildup of residue in the 600 rounds you've fired to affect chamber tolerances. Specifically, make sure the shoulder where the case mouth headspaces is clean.
  • Clean the feed ramp on the barrel to be sure it's not contaminated with something.
  • Compare the OAL (overall length) of the JHPs you're trying to use to the FMJ you've been using. Be sure your JHPs are within SAAMI specfication (1.169")
  • Try a new M&P magazine to be sure you haven't somehow damaged the feed lips on yours.

• If the pistol still isn't working with SAAMI-spec ammunition after a thorough cleaning and new mag, then it's time to contact S&W and ask them to look at the gun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

I cleaned and oiled the gun really well, made sure to pay special attention to the areas noted above. I was also more mindful in pulling back the slide "with authority" if you will. Looks like the combination of the two solved the problem!

She chambers just fine now; my trust in the gun insofar as I can trust it without taking it to the range has been restored.

Can't wait to squeeze off a few on Friday!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I got to the range today (one earlier than expected) and ran into some trouble. I shot roughly 130 rounds of ammunition (the last of what I had; it should also be noted that the ammo is mostly garbage $10/box FMJ stuff) and had 2 FTEs and one FTL. I'm going to go back out to the range on Sunday and put some serious rounds through it (I'm thinking at least 300) and if I get any more problems, the gun's going back to S&W.

Other than the obvious problems, however, the thing shot wonderfully. I really hope this gun gets more reliable because it is an absolute joy to shoot!

·
Registered
33 Posts
What ammo did you shoot through it? I have shot Federal HST through mine without a problem as well as some hornady xtp bullets(reloads).

The bullets do hang on the feed ramp when slowly chambering, but when its actually shooting its cycling much faster with more force and it should be enough to chamber them.

Jon

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem. ball/fmj ammo feeds perfect HP jams nose into feed ramp and stays there. I sent mine back yesterday. I will let you know if they fix it. It's a shame for such a perfect feeling gun to malfunction.

J.W>

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
JFettig said:
What ammo did you shoot through it? I have shot Federal HST through mine without a problem as well as some hornady xtp bullets(reloads).

Jon

I have no trouble with 124gr +P HST's

or of course plain FMJ

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine are not +P, but no theres no problems, when I chamber them slowly I just either tap the slide forward or kinda swing it to give it a little more momentum.

JHPs will drop right in. I have probably 1k through the gun by now. Only the first 10 rounds were a little slow to chamber, then after that I had a few cases hit me in the face for another 200 rounds, now I have zero issues.

Jon

·
Registered
7 Posts
I posted a question about the identical problem. The gun needs to feed all factory ammo even if the gun is a bit dirty. If it doesnt, send it back to S&W. Contact them and request a shipping label. Thsi should be done at zero cost to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Failure-to-feed, I think

Hi, I'm new. [to everything]

I bought the M&P 9mm compact a week ago [serial MPW3xxxx] and am having some problems. I figured I'd search the internet to see if it was just me, or what. From what I've read, I believe the *technical* term is Failure-to-feed/FTF -- when the bullet doesn't 'seat' itself in the chamber on automatic reload. The unfired bullet being reloaded ends up sticking out of the top of the gun where the empty casings are dispatched. The salesperson/associate said that it was me, that I was limpwristing. That may possibly be true some of the time, but to be fair, I probably have equally limp-wristed on other guns I rented prior to purchasing this one, and never had this specific problem before. The first instance of this FTF [?] occured right away, in my first loaded magazine. Total -- I shot 100 rounds, and it probably happened 12 or so times -- brand new gun with the extended grip magazine [I need the extra grip]. The ammunition I used was Blazer brass to start & then switched to a different brand -- but it still happened. I was afraid to try anything else after that, since this gun is for my personal protection and I am not feeling any safer right now with these problems then before when I didn't have a gun. [I'm also not sure on all the ammo technicalities/abbreviations, so it gets a bit overwhelming reading your posts when I really have no idea what you are referencing!
]

Anyway, with that in mind, my question is what do I do?? Is it me??? Is it FTF? Did limpwristing really cause this? Or is it the gun and do I send the gun back to S & W to get fixed and hope I don't have any more problems?? [Ughh...] Did any of you have the same problems??

I've tried to read up on the posts to answer this question, but am ending up more confused. [Limpwristing, ammo, feeder ramps, springs too tight, what have you....]

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
For clarification: when you fire the gun, the brass from the round you shot flies away properly and then the next round (the one which is supposed to feed into the chamber) instead sticks out the top of the ejection port?

If that's the case, check your mags to make sure they're 9mm mags and not .40 S&W mags. Otherwise, the problem you're experiencing could be caused by a variety of things:

• Recoil spring too strong; get replacement from S&W
  • Insufficient magazine spring tension; get a replacement from S&W. Mark your mags to figure out if it's happening with all of them or just one.
  • Limp wristing is a possibility but without seeing you shoot there's no way to tell. First question that has to be asked is, where/how did you learn to shoot a pistol?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
bklanecky said:
Well, I got to the range today (one earlier than expected) and ran into some trouble. I shot roughly 130 rounds of ammunition (the last of what I had; it should also be noted that the ammo is mostly garbage $10/box FMJ stuff) and had 2 FTEs and one FTL. I'm going to go back out to the range on Sunday and put some serious rounds through it (I'm thinking at least 300) and if I get any more problems, the gun's going back to S&W.

Other than the obvious problems, however, the thing shot wonderfully. I really hope this gun gets more reliable because it is an absolute joy to shoot!

Hope everything works out for you let us know...where in WI are you located??

·
Registered
7 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"For clarification: when you fire the gun, the brass from the round you shot flies away properly and then the next round (the one which is supposed to feed into the chamber) instead sticks out the top of the ejection port?"

Yes, this is the case, exactly.

I am absolutely using 9mm ammo. I double-checked several times. No doubt.

My mags are both clearly marked 9mm.

"Limp wristing is a possibility but without seeing you shoot there's no way to tell. First question that has to be asked is, where/how did you learn to shoot a pistol?"

I learned recently from a knowledgeable person/s. I admit to limpwristing as a possibility b/c if it is me I'd sooner deal w/ it now, however, I'm not totally buying the whole 'limpwristing' thing. Every shot I fired hit my target -- out of 100 rounds only 2 were in the white, every single other one was in the black. I don't know if that proves anything as far as limpwristing BUT I had a firm enough hold [two-handed no 'teacupping'] on the gun to control where those bullets went. So what gives??

Somewhere I saw an article where the guy 'testing' the gun was trying to get it to jam all different ways, but couldn't. He was purposely trying all the wrong things. I don't get it! The gun worked properly for him each and every time.

It also happened with *both* of my mags, but since I favor the extended grip, moreso with that one since it was in use more.

*cl*

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Limpwristing has nothing to do with accuracy. You can get outstanding accuracy with a very poor grip. However, I, too, am always dubious when people blame "limpwristing" for a gun's malfunctions. A gun should function even if it's not held perfectly. We can't always choose the angle or condition of the gun (or ourselves) when we need it.

Do the .40 and 9mm versions of the Compact use different recoil springs? If so, it's possible your culprit lies in a mismatched spring. That would be good news because it should be a relatively easy fix.

Otherwise, it's possible the problem will work itself out over the course of a few hundred rounds; I know a few people have reported a necessary "burn in" period for their M&Ps. So if you're amenable and you want to avoid being without the gun, I'd first try shooting it a bit more to see if the issue goes away. I certainly wouldn't expect a problem shooting the Blazer ammo; what was the other stuff you used?

·
Registered
7 Posts
400 rounds - 2 FTF's

O.k.,

I shot 400 rounds today and had only two failure-to-feeds/jams - same as before, both in the beginning with one particular magazine [the extended-grip, now granted, this it the one I use more since I prefer the ergonomics].

I have to say, I am not thrilled to have to 'break-in my gun' but I do feel much better knowing only 2 out of 400 jammed, compared to my earlier stats. Perhaps it did in-fact just need to be broken-in. I guess I will see when I practice with it again. My confidence has been mostly restored, compared to earlier!

All 400 rounds were shot with Blazer brass.

However, I have yet to try the hollow-points....

*cl*

·
Registered
46 Posts
Unfortunately I have to add my 9c to the list of pistols that tend to hang up hollowpoints on the feed ramp.

I find if I lock the slide and insert a mag then just trip the catch it feeds without fail. Likewise a hard pull and letting the slide snap forward under full spring power and it seems to feed okay. It has never failed to feed and fire.

The issue seems to be when the slide can go forward with anything less than these two conditions. I called S&W and they offered a shipping label so I'm going to send it back. Some might question this and say that if it works unless the slide is somehow slowed but I've owned a lot of pistols in my time and this is not what I consider normal. I've got Sigs, Brownings, Colts, Springfield Armorys and have had many others and simply don't believe this can be considered okay. One day you'll have a slightly weak recoil spring or some other condition that will simulate this and end up with a feedway stoppage.

Hope they sort it, this is rapidly becoming a favorite pistol of mine.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I shoot HP's through my 9c all the time, and never have had a problem.

Find some different ammo to shoot, and if that doesn't work, don't hesitate to call S&W's CS and chat with them about it. They're pretty darn good about rectifying a situation.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just thought I'd update you guys: I e-mailed S&W, and within two days had an overnite packing slip in my mailbox. Gun was in S&W's hands as of yesterday morning. Hopefully turnaround time isn't too bad; I miss my baby already!

I asked them for a free finger extension mag for my troubles; I figure the fact that I'm a 23 year old potential lifetime customer should give them a little incentive to keep my business, especially because I'm already in the market for a 22LR pistol as things stand now. We'll see what they do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 9c was made in 2006 and I didn't have a problem with it till 2 weeks ago when it began to do the same thing as other posters here ... FTL. JHP's (no matter what brand or grain) hang up on the feeding ramp. Now an unreliable weapon and not suited for Self Defense. I called S&W , they sent a shipping label and now it's at the gun doctors getting (hopefully) better. I'll post when I get it back so you'll know what was done and what S&W says the issue was.

In the interim, I'll carry my new S&W Bodyguard 38.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts