MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello

I purchased a M&P9c 3/17. I was shooting today and ammo does not feed you have to either bump the slide or if you bump the mag it feeds fine. any body have any suggestions? i'm using wwb ammo. thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
I experienced a couple FTFs w/ my M&P9 full size using WWB and a thorough cleaning of the inside of the magazine cleared that problem.

-B

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I would clean and lube the pistol. Be sure to clean the feed ramp and chamber area of the barrel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hello

I cleaned the pistol and the mag. It jams up on every round. It looks like the ammo is nose diving into the feed ramp? Guess i will be calling S&W.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
hambone007 said:
hello

I cleaned the pistol and the mag. It jams up on every round. It looks like the ammo is nose diving into the feed ramp? Guess i will be calling S&W.

Ouch.....That is not good. Hope you get it straightened out buddy. Good luck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Does it happen with every mag? It might help to mark each mag and make sure you don't have a bad one. If it only happens with one mag, you have isolated the problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
hambone007 said:
hello

I purchased a M&P9c 3/17. I was shooting today and ammo does not feed you have to either bump the slide or if you bump the mag it feeds fine. any body have any suggestions? i'm using wwb ammo. thanks

Have you tried another brand of ammo?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem with my MP 40c. I thought that it was just in need of more ammo to break in a new pistol. I shot approx. 150 rounds and was still having the problem.

I could see that the bullet was hitting the middle of the feed ramp and not smoothly going into the chamber.

I used my Dremel and Flitz to polish the feed ramp. I used dummy rounds to check my progress.

I went to the range the other day and ran 300 rounds with no problems.

If you know your was aroung a Dremel then use it with a small polish wheel, if not send it back to S&W.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
are you riding the slide forward? If you do this, you WILL have to bump the slide.

Slingshot the slide.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Did you strip the mags right after you bought it? I thought I remember hearing some place that the mag-springs won't feed the ammo high enough on the nose if the springs were in backwards. Also, I occasionally let my thumb brush the slide when it cycles and this definitely affects the feed with the stock recoil-spring. The polish idea is good too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Even if you "ride the slide" it should not NOSEDIVE into the feedramp. After wrestling with this some time ago and not being listened to I corrected my problems and met with the S&W LE representative and showed him one stock mag vs. one that I modified.

Essentially, the feed lips are parallel which cause the bullet to be presented almost parallel to the barrel thus the hard hit onto the feedramp. I slightly opened the lips which allow the cartridge to sit much higher at the front - as it does on an H&K and Glock.

This issue could probably be designed into the magazine and follower. Since I'll not be sending back the mags I have - opening the front feed lips 1/10" will allow the nose of the cartridge to "ride high".

As to riding the slide causing the nose to crash into the feedramp; mine no longer do this. Before the modifications I could slowly let the slide forward and the round would nosedive into the feedramp and I could sit the pistol down and it would remain in that condition. If I try it now the round will feed no matter how slowly I released the slide.

I think this is an interim fix, but after 1,000 rounds through two magazines it appears to be robust.

I think there is a thread where Dan Burwell posted some information from Brian Enos which suggested exactly what I did. One poster was considering the option. I never did follow up on his results as I know what Dan suggested worked for me.

Oh, as always move metal slowly!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am having this same problem with my 9 now. I have a full mag of Hornaday XTP 124g in it at all times for home defense. I often will prime a round and will have it nose diving directly into the feed ramp. This mainly occurs if the the slide is ridden slightly, but also some when "sling-shotted" into position. When this happens I usually get a jam that is easily cleared, but a few times it has been difficult to clear the chamber. I've seen the posts that suggest polishing the ramp with a drimel and I may utilize this in the future. But my main concern is having a difficulty to clear during a pressure situation. This has become troubling to the point that I am loading ball ammo into the weapon for home defense.

I guess my questions about the situation involve the ammo, though. Could the XTP be contributing to the occurance of FTF's and has anyone else had this problem with this particular ammo? Also, if this persists, is there a ball ammo that anyone recommends for home defense? I am beyond happy with my M&P 9mm, I'm in love with it actually, so I am willing to work around her idiosyncrasities to keep beside me every nght.

·
Registered
132 Posts
choochboost said:
[quote name='ravedavewave']is there a ball ammo that anyone recommends for home defense?
Not really, but if you must...a flat nose bullet will be better than a round nose.[/quote]

While I appreciate the suggestion, wouldn't this preclude me from solving the problem? The JHP nose dives into the feed ramp because it is flat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have noticed on my M&P9c that with the same Hornaday ammo it feels like it "drags". If I sling shot the slide it feeds but it feels like it is dragging. I thought it was a combination of the ammo and needing to polish the ramp.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hmmm... I have fired Federal Tac JHP, Remington JHP, Speer Gold Dots through my 40c so far.. 300rds of different types of ammo. It has been flawless... Don't know.. I would contact S&W about it and maybe have them look at it...

Ben

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
ravedavewave said:
[quote name='choochboost'][quote name='ravedavewave']is there a ball ammo that anyone recommends for home defense?
Not really, but if you must...a flat nose bullet will be better than a round nose.[/quote]

While I appreciate the suggestion, wouldn't this preclude me from solving the problem? The JHP nose dives into the feed ramp because it is flat.[/quote]

I was thinking in terms of ballistics.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
132 Posts
ben2112 said:
Hmmm... I have fired Federal Tac JHP, Remington JHP, Speer Gold Dots through my 40c so far.. 300rds of different types of ammo. It has been flawless... Don't know.. I would contact S&W about it and maybe have them look at it...

Ben

Well, that's kinda part of the problem. I haven't actually fired the JHP at the range. But, I do feel confident that during live fire that the round will probably feed due to the force of the blowback. My problem comes during an initial engagement of the round to the chamber.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts