MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just doesn't give me a warm-fuzzy...

Wife was shooting my M&P-357 yesterday, and I'm pretty sure that she limp-wristed the shot, but the 9th round in the magazine fed ahead of the extractor, preventing the slide from fully returning to battery... problem is, the disconnector still allowed the striker to be released. The firing pin was able to indent the case just above the primer (right on the edge of the primer hole), if it would have struck the primer, the cartridge would have fired out-of battery and probably injured her hand. The firing pin obviously struck hard enough to ignite the primer if it would have been just a hair farther up.

Is it just me, or does this worry anybody else? None of my other pistols will fire (that far) out of battery... I don't want to invite disaster by firing a cartridge when the slide is not fully locked.

Is this a design flaw? Or, will not everyone's M&P release the striker with the slide held slightly open. My XD certainly won't unless the slide is almost fully locked up.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
(1) Are you certain it was a primer strike and not the slide hitting the cartridge case at an odd angle? Can you post a photo?

(2) With the gun disassembled, turn the slide upside down and try to move the striker forward without pressing the firing pin block button. Does the striker protrude through the breachface? If so, you have a faulty firing pin block.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ToddG said:
(1) Are you certain it was a primer strike and not the slide hitting the cartridge case at an odd angle? Can you post a photo?

(2) With the gun disassembled, turn the slide upside down and try to move the striker forward without pressing the firing pin block button. Does the striker protrude through the breachface? If so, you have a faulty firing pin block.

I am certain it was indeed an obvious primer-strike, centered on the edge of the primer hole. I am embarrassed that I did not keep the cartridge now... I didn't consider it a big deal until I had thought about it a little more and realized that should not have happened.

The trigger was indeed pulled intentionally (without realizing that the gun was out of battery), also, the gun operated properly for the rest of the time spent at the range (another 50+ rd.). The firing pin was not protruding, and the striker will not move past the block without depressing it. But, the pistol will release the striker when the slide is held slightly out of battery (using a thin feeler gauge between the barrel hood and breech-face). I'm just worried that at some point during return to battery the pistol will be allowed to fire before the barrel is fully locked.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
coltman1985 said:
Check as stated above and post response please!

I'm not sure what you mean. I stated that I did check that the firing pin was not protruding and would not move forward without depressing the block.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I'd contact Smith and discuss it with them. Without seeing the gun, it's hard to guess whether it was a fluke or a problem. They'll have a much better idea. Hopefully, it will fall under the "fluke" category.

I haven't heard of anyone experience an out-of-battery detonation with an M&P, and I know it was something Smith paid attention to while designing the gun since so many people believe that it is the Glock's ability to fire out-of-battery which contributes to the "kB!" issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts