MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I too was having an issue with my M&P 40S&W compact (slide locking back and slide failing to lock into battery) so I sent it in to the good people at S&W (although the first guy I talked to told me I was crazy). The gun came back with four items fix/replaced and a clean bill of health. The gun shot well, but I was still having problems with it failing to go into battery. The last two range sessions I have payed real close attention to how and what I'm doing when I shoot.

When shooting if I keep the trigger pulled all the way back, the gun cycles fine. If I slap the trigger and release it completely during recoil the gun will cycle normally. If I ride he trigger to set up a quicker follow up shot, the gun will fail to lock into battery. This will happen 8 out of 10 rounds per magazine.

I know this trigger issue is not normal with M&Ps, I shoot my full size 40S&W and 45acp the same way (riding the trigger, both are/have been 99.99% perfect). Any suggestions where I should look to see if anything is "hanging up".

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
You haven't been playing with light recoil springs have you? if so there is your answer.

If not I am guessing the trigger is pretty rough over the striker stop plunger. it is likely this is where the hang up is. This will likely smooth out with an evening of dryfiring, as soon as the surfaces smooth out, the battery problem will likely go away. You could also speed this along with a littl polishing of the trigger bar where it contacts the plunger and putting a radius on the plunger.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Dan

The gun is completely stock, I planned on replacing my G27 on my permit with it. It probilly has 800-1000 rounds through it. I will take the striker stop plunger out of my full size M&P that you did for me last year and give it a try. Thanks for the input.

Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts