MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new M&P9 (Rev N MPF) about a week ago and had a chance to shoot it for the first time yesterday. Put about 300 rds of WWB through it. I had several jams with it, and I need you guys to tell me if you think it's the gun or the magazine. After I started having failures I marked one of the mags to see if it was only happening in one of them and after I did it seemed like it was only with the one I marked, though of course I have no way of knowing if it had been happening with that one the entire time.

Basically I had two types of failures. This was the first one:

Empty casing caught in the slide, live round in chamber. I only had this one a couple of times. This is the second:

Empty casing in chamber, round in magazine pushed slightly forward with the slide locked back. This is the one I had the most, and it seemed to be happening with increasing frequency until I ran out of ammo to shoot. When I tried to drop the mag to clear the jam, it was stuck up in there pretty tight and I had to tug on it to get it out, and after I got the mag out the slide came forward. Clear the empty, push the first round back into the magazine, insert magazine.

I don't recall it happening more than once in a mag, so what I'm thinking is that there's something on this one magazine that's messing up the way the rounds sit. I want to see what you guys think, though, before I contact S&W. I'm hoping this is just a magazine thing and I can try to talk them into replacing the mag. Anyway, thanks for reading all that. Tell me what you think.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Others have reported this same issue with WWB. I would try some different ammo first before you do anything to the gun/mag.

Adam

·
Registered
495 Posts
try something other than WWB and see if you still have a problem. Many of us have had problems FTEs with WWB. Actually Blazer Brass is even cheaper than WWB at Y'all Mart.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No CCI at Walmart, but I got a couple boxes of Remington to try out. I'll let y'all know what happens when I get back.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Have not had any issues with Remington either. No CCI at your Walmart?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, none. It looks to me like they're trying to sell the rest of their ammo off and not buy anymore; I've already cleaned out their 100-rd packs of WWB. Anyway, off to the range now. I'll let y'all know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm so glad you guys told me to try a different ammo before I sent it off. The Remington feeds perfectly in both magazines, as does the WWB JHPs I have. I know why, too: the WWB FMJ bullet is longer than the Remington bullet by at least a couple of millimeters, that's why it's harder to cycle them.

Here's something weird: after shooting the Remington stuff with no problems, I scraped up the last of the WWB I bought before and put some through both magazines. I had one failure, again, in the same one that was jamming before. If it's an ammo problem and not a mag problem, as it seems to be since this same magazine can feed Remington flawlessly, why does the Winchester stuff only seem to jam in this one magazine?

Not that it matters, because it works fine now. Thanks, guys! (Now if I could just hit the target.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
So the UMC remingtons shot better.?

Im going to try the remington this weekend... as well as the FMJ WWB 115gr. (100case)

I had FTE with the Winchester WINClean... i havent tried any other brands of bullets.

Would FMJ be ok shooting 6" square steel targets? Any worries of Richochet?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
dpgmp9 said:
So the UMC remingtons shot better.?

Im going to try the remington this weekend... as well as the FMJ WWB 115gr. (100case)

I had FTE with the Winchester WINClean... i havent tried any other brands of bullets.

Would FMJ be ok shooting 6" square steel targets? Any worries of Richochet?

Thanks,

Any time you are shooting at steel you need to wory about ricochet and or bounce back. Don't even consider 5 or 10 yard steel shots. The farther the better.

I had considerable problems with Winchester Whitebox and an XD I no longer have. My M&P9 loves the reloaded WWB brass so i expect the problem is something other than Brass.

:twisted:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was the magazine, guys. That one kept giving me problems so threw it away and bought a new one. Now I can shoot WWB or anything else, no problems.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I am glad things seem to be working now. Not sure what your history with firearms is but I would respectfully submit that a FTE is not caused by the magazine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I know. I don't understand it either. All I know is that after I threw that magazine away I haven't had a single problem, so I'm not going to question it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Threw it away? Why not send it back to Smith for a replacement? If you called them and gave them the details on it, they should take care of it for you. It could just be one that was stamped out of spec and won't feed cartridges over a certain OAL. A minor issue that you found a fix for, but I'd send it back rather than trust it or tossing it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Tarwater said:
Yeah, I know. I don't understand it either. All I know is that after I threw that magazine away I haven't had a single problem, so I'm not going to question it.
My wife starts off a sentence that way when she doesn't want to listen also. Mags are the mother of a lot of evils and ills of auto loading weapons, but not FTEs. Questioning is good, it leads to discovery. In the 3800 rounds I have through M&P 9mm #1 it has has 9 FTEs. I have my 10 mags numbered and I also keep a running spreadsheet of rounds fired, failures and mag# involved. The FTEs have occured in multiple mags.

I definitely agree with FieroCDSP, S&W would have replaced that mag for you.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Like others,I have read about the FTEs with WWB unfortuneately in other threads.

I make my own cartridges and if I don't have the correct amount of gains of powder, I get FTEs. I made a batch of ammo loaded incorrectly with 4.6 grains Unique when I should have had a minimum of 5.1 grains for a starting load. Simply just not enough of pressure to throw the heavy M&P slide back to eject the case. Once I corrected my hand loading error to the proper level of grains, I am in business ejecting cases.

If its not the pistola...I wonder if Winchester had lots of ammo loaded on the light side by accident ?

Just my .02

·
Registered
373 Posts
If light loads were the case, it would be a huge lot - perhaps a weeks run. My M&P seems to favor +P ammunition, as we all know, Black Hills is loaded hot and my pistol thrived on it! Unfortunately, I cannot afford +P as a steady diet. I am going to try 100-rounds of CCI Blazer Brass and see what happens. If it works then I will start shooting Blazer Brass and do away with WWB all together, even though my Glocks love it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts