MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a good defense round for a S&W M39-2. Is the Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2) standard pressure? It is not labeled +P but I want to be sure. I don't want to shoot +P in this gun. Also, what do you think of this round for use in the M39-2?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Stick to Doc's list

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:

Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)

Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)

Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)

Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)

Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)

Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)

Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)

Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)

Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
choochboost said:
You're fine. It is not +p.
Thanks. That's what I thought, but I was surprised to see standard pressure loads on Doc's list. After all, for years I have been hearing that the only effective 9mm loads are +P.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Highlander said:
[quote name='choochboost']You're fine. It is not +p.
Thanks. That's what I thought, but I was surprised to see standard pressure loads on Doc's list. After all, for years I have been hearing that the only effective 9mm loads are +P.
[/quote]

That's cause technology has advanced so much more in the bullet itself..read his page it's great information.

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tact...c;f=78;t=000964

·
Registered
69 Posts
For years I have been hearing that the only effective 9mm loads are +P.

That's the mindset of the majority, but it definitely is not true. Everyone thinks that +P is the only way to go. In reality it can be a disadvantage or advantage depending on bullet design. IMO with the HST, you do not need the +P version of this load anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts