MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks,

Just had a quick question about polishing.

I was wondering, If I'm sending my pistol off to a gunsmith for a trigger job and warren sights, should I have the feed ramp, chamber, barrel hood, and breech face and extractor hook polished in my M&P in 9mm? What about the ejector?

My only concern is how deep the melonite heat-treat goes. I don't want to loose corrosion resistance after polishing.

Also, I was considering having the internals NP3ed, but after reading that they don't do the sear interface, and that the finish wears off like any other "paint" I have decided against it.

Any other recco's would be appreciated. I love doing my stuff up, but after dropping 1200 dollars into a hi power, that was balls reliable to begin with, I'm wondering what is REALLY worth doing,

I always like to assume that I MAY not be able clean for an extended time, or had pot luck ammo, sandy/salty eviro. etc...

Thanks

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Re: Feed Ramp, Barrel Hood, Extractor, and ejector polishing

aud_VDW said:
Howdy Folks,

Just had a quick question about polishing.

I was wondering, If I'm sending my pistol off to a gunsmith for a trigger job and warren sights, should I have the feed ramp, chamber, barrel hood, and breech face and extractor hook polished in my M&P in 9mm? What about the ejector?

My only concern is how deep the melonite heat-treat goes. I don't want to loose corrosion resistance after polishing.
You have nothing to worry about. The Melonite does not offer corrosion resistance.

What you are describing is often called a reliability package. I'm having it done on both my M&Ps.

Also, I was considering having the internals NP3ed, but after reading that they don't do the sear interface, and that the finish wears off like any other "paint" I have decided against it.
Where did you read that NP3 wears like "paint"? That is not true.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

choochboost said:
You have nothing to worry about. The Melonite does not offer corrosion resistance.

What you are describing is often called a reliability package. I'm having it done on both my M&Ps.
Who is doing it for you?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts

aud_VDW said:

What feeding, chambering, lockup, extracting, or ejecting problems are you experiencing that makes you feel this work is necessary? We're not talking about a 1911 here. Your M&P was engineered, built, and tested to work with a wide variety of ammunition under a wide variety of conditions. If you're having reliability problems, send it back to S&W for repair. If you're not having reliability problems, paying $$$ for a "reliability package" is superfluous.

And if your gun comes back less than 100% reliable, you've now voided your warranty and will never know whether S&W or your "gunsmith" was responsible.

While it's true that NP3 can chip over time, it's not paint. It's a metal process. Most people I know who have their guns NP3'd are happy with the result.

I always like to assume that I MAY not be able clean for an extended time, or had pot luck ammo, sandy/salty eviro. etc...

Your M&P can handle that as-is.

My advice: get the trigger job, get the sights, leave the rest of the gun alone.

·
Registered
936 Posts

ToddG said:
What feeding, chambering, lockup, extracting, or ejecting problems are you experiencing that makes you feel this work is necessary? We're not talking about a 1911 here. Your M&P was engineered, built, and tested to work with a wide variety of ammunition under a wide variety of conditions. If you're having reliability problems, send it back to S&W for repair. If you're not having reliability problems, paying $$$ for a "reliability package" is superfluous.

Todd, you know as well as I do that getting a pistol back from a smith and seeing a nice shiney barrel throat and frame ramp gives the customer a warm, happy feeling.

You cant change human nature with just one post! :wink:

·
Registered
4,396 Posts

olyeller said:
Todd, you know as well as I do that getting a pistol back from a smith and seeing a nice shiney barrel throat and frame ramp gives the customer a warm, happy feeling.

Yup. And I've seen plenty of perfectly functional stock guns made inoperable by so-called "expert" gunsmiths. I do understand pride-of-ownership, but having someone mess with critical components is a mistake IMHO.

Personally, when I see a "smith" who offers reliability packages for guns like Berettas, SIGs, Glocks, & Smiths it always raises a red flag. I'm not saying every gun from every factory comes out perfect. I know better than that. :wink: But problem guns should be fixed by the factory. Functional guns shouldn't be modified. We've all heard the old saying, if it aint broke ...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Youre preaching to the choir, my man. 8) Ive wasted a lot of keystrokes on this subject at other forums.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
In a lot of ways it's a holdover from the days when everyone wanted a 1911 and every 1911 needed to be smithed to run properly. Things like "tuned extractor" and "polished feed ramp" just sound so sexy.

It's a maturing process. People read about this stuff on the net and they assume their guns will be better simply because some hack runs a file or stone (or some Flitz) over the parts. They spend a hundred or two dollars and too often the gun stops working. And even if the gun keeps working, eventually he'll buy another gun and realize the stock gun is just as reliable as his "customized" one.

I was in the SIGARMS (now SIG-Sauer) warranty shop one afternoon and they had a stack of guns that had come from customers all around the country. The two things the guns had in common: none of them would cycle reliably, and all of them had been to a certain well-known "gunsmith." They were going through the guns as time allowed, and all it took to "fix" them was to replace the custom fitted reliability-package parts with stock ones. The biggest delay was coming up with a polite way to write a letter to owners that said, "Hey dips&!# stop messing with what isn't broken!"

Take a look at Dan Burwell's page listing the work he does on M&P's. Notice that there is no "reliability package." His package descriptions don't include any silliness like tuning the ejector or polishing the sights or whatever. To me, that's an honest businessman who is interested in making guns better without shanking customers.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I believe there is alot of wisdom in Todd's comments- Now the NP3 finish, in my experience, doesn't hold up and isn't worth the money. I had that finish on a TGO II 1911 from SA and it wore right off in short order. IF you truely want a durable finish check out IonBond. Their "diamond-like" coating is INCREDIBLE! You can contact Ryan Flynn about details at:

Ryan Flynn

[email protected]

Phone: 336-665-0005 ext. 1340

:twisted:

·
Registered
5,062 Posts

sholling said:
[quote name='choochboost']

Who is doing it for you?[/quote]

Burwell or Bowie, as soon as I figure out what I want done to my triggers. I may send one pistol to Bowie and the other to Burwell. :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts