MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only recently started carrying. I had my permit since March, but didn't get a suitable sidearm and rig until 3 or so months ago: MP40c and CTAC. I've been carrying steadily, and found comfort in that.

Now, my 40c has been experiencing the mag drop issue steadily with almost every other shot fired.

I've contacted S&W yesterday, but haven't heard anything yet. I don't have any other self defense firearm to carry, nor would I have any rig to carry it in. I don't want to stop carrying, but what's the point? But I also hate to be in a position where I would need my 40c, and not have it on me.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
559 Posts
S&W traditionally almost shuts down around Christmas time, so this isn't a good time to email them and wait. Call them (800 # is on the website) and tell them about it. They'll make it good.

·
Registered
505 Posts
you may also ask them to send you the mag catch. then you wont have to ship it to them and wait for them to replace it and ship it back. may be easier. then if the mag catch doesnt fix the issue, send it to them.

being the holidays you may have to wait a while to get it back if you send it it. I think if it were me i would ask them to send me the part instead

my $.02

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
m4arc said:
You need another one as a backup.
lol, preaching to the choir

If only I could make up my mind for a second gun, and then if only I had the finances right now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
SCFireFighter said:
[quote name='m4arc']You need another one as a backup.
lol, preaching to the choir

If only I could make up my mind for a second gun, and then if only I had the finances right now.[/quote]

It seems to me that if you already have a 40c, then a 40f would be the logical complement.

·
Registered
280 Posts
M&P40c needs a 9mm little brother. Use the same holster!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Onuma said:
M&P40c needs a 9mm little brother. Use the same holster!
You're killing me here!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On a more serious note, S&W emailed me with FedEx instructions to send as 'bill recipient'. Very nice of them. However, I just realized something: Parts of my 40c are customized.

Will S&W choke on this? No parts related to the mag release are, but still, it has me worried now.

Does anyone know the part number perhaps? Maybe if I ask them to send it to me, I'll get the part faster, and they save some money on FedEx overnight charges

·
Registered
501 Posts
So you call them up and say "hey, I've been reading about some m&p's developing a problem dropping mags and I'm worried my m&p might have one of the mag catches that wears and causes the problem. It's my one and only CCH firearm and I can't do with out it and I'm REALLY worried, what can I do????"

For some reason I'm guessing you'll get one or (no kidding) two in the mail at no cost. Just guessing of course..................................................................... 8)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, here's the thing, and I don't want this to turn into another mag catch thread, but I just read that S&W admitted there are some frames out in the wild that have QA problems with regards to mag fitting tolerances. Mine is pretty loose, and it might very well be the ultimate reason for the drops.

So in a way I want them to check it rather then keep (potentially) sending me parts for it.

How tolerant is S&W with regards to customizations? The frame of the pistol hasn't been touched; it's just the metal parts that have been refinished.

Should I awake this sleeping dog, come clean, and tell them about the customizations so I can send it in?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The frame of the pistol hasn't been touched; it's just the metal parts that have been refinished.

Should I awake this sleeping dog, come clean, and tell them about the customizations so I can send it in?[/quote]

Smith & Wesson will not be responsible for:

• Defects or malfunctions resulting from careless handling,

unauthorized adjustments or modifications made or

attempted by anyone other than a qualified gunsmith following

Smith & Wesson authorized procedures, or beyond the

disassembly instructions in this manual

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jeff 9mm M&P said:
Smith & Wesson will not be responsible for:

• Defects or malfunctions resulting from careless handling, unauthorized adjustments or modifications made or attempted by anyone other than a qualified gunsmith following Smith & Wesson authorized procedures, or beyond the disassembly instructions in this manual
That's the thing, the problem is not resulting from any of the modifications made to the gun. The question is: how finicky are they going to be about this, considering it's a known problem within S&W?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I would call them like somebody said earlier. I would ask to talk with somebody in CS that is familiar with the companies return policy. Be honest and tell them that you are familar with the warranty, what was done with the gun, but that none of the mechanicals were touched and see what they say about your mag drop problem.

I had to call S&W a couple wks ago for some parts and I think they said they (maybe shipping dept) will be back to work on Jan 8th. Call them Thurs morn and see if Customer Svc is open.

Good luck. Let us know what they say.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I called them today because my button is really sensitive, not dropping mags but if you breath on it, it will release it. They are sending me one, and only one. I asked for two but they wouldn't. They probably can't get them in fast enough. They are running on a skelaton crew so if you can't get a person, keep trying. The guy sied when I told him what gun I had and the problem. I did shave down my original button tonight and that made a lot of difference. Quick fix till I try the one they are sending.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They're sending one out to me when they return from the shutdown on January 7th.

I'll give it a try. At least if this does not fix the problem, I'll have more leverage to ask them for a frame replacement (which, if it keeps dropping will become evident to be the cause).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts