·
Registered
1,133 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grimwulff said:
[quote name='gerk2k']how can one become a FFL holder? what are the requirements?

Which classification of FFL? Type 1, 3...?

Specify and I can help you.

Type 3 = C&R license, which is what i'm applying for. If you can get a CHL/CCW then you can pretty much get a C&R... here is a good guide for it: http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/h...ffl03/index.asp[/quote]

thanks grim

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
gerk2k said:
[quote name='Grimwulff'][quote name='gerk2k']how can one become a FFL holder? what are the requirements?

Which classification of FFL? Type 1, 3...?

Specify and I can help you.

Type 3 = C&R license, which is what i'm applying for. If you can get a CHL/CCW then you can pretty much get a C&R... here is a good guide for it: http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/h...ffl03/index.asp[/quote]

thanks grim[/quote]

NP, just remember, Type 3 C&R is ONLY useable on weapons listed as C&Rs. Small list on what denotes a C&R:

1) 50 years or older

2) Ex-military, typically, and serves a purpose in major historical events

3) May be designated as something worth collecting by a museum

4) Is designated as being a 'curio and/or relic' (hence the C&R; C&R = Curio & Relic)

Hope that helps clarify what a C&R is. A C&R costs $30 for 3 years, and allows C&R designated weapons to be sent to your home or designated place of business (if you apply to have a business own one). You may NOT sell weapons for a profit (you can not make a "living" on it, is the phrase used by the BATFE) that you use the C&R to acquire.

A Type 1 FFL is a business style license and is useable for everything but NFA weapons. It costs $2000 per 3 years.

One small differentiation real quick:

Type 1 can be verified through the BATFE's website, and therefore can be sent via e-mail to the entity you're doing business with. Type 3 C&R HAS to be sent via mail, and MUST be signed in ink by you for the entity to keep on file, because it is only checked via phone with the BATFE and/or through mail.

I hope this helps... note: i'm not a lawyer nor do I pretend to know the law, but all of this information can be found on publicly available websites. Also, both require paperwork to be kept for purchases and dispositions.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
As an extension to my above statement with a slight clarification:

When you acquire a Type 3 C&R, you MUST make copies of the original license they send you. You will ONLY get ONE of these. DO NOT SIGN IT, BUT INSTEAD, MAKE COPIES AND PUT THE ORIGINAL IN A SAFE. Sign the copies and send them out. C&Rs, like all FFLs, 99% of the time get a dealer discount because of their license.

Anyways... thought I'd add that.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Grimwulff said:
It costs $2000 per 3 years.
I believe you made a typo there it is $200 for the first three years then is is $90 for three years on renewals.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Dan Burwell said:
[quote name='Grimwulff']

It costs $2000 per 3 years.
I believe you made a typo there it is $200 for the first three years then is is $90 for three years on renewals.[/quote]

Yea, thanks for catching the extra 0. It does make a huge difference

Non-Destructive Devices

Licensee Application Renewal

Manufacturer $150 $150

Importer $150 $150

Pawnbroker $200 $90

Dealer $200 $90

Collector $30 $30

1 - 8 of 8 Posts