MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

My fiance's interest in shooting has been peaked recently. Instead of just taking her to the range, I was going to take her to a First Shots event. Figuring the range may be a little too itimidating at first.

Has anyone ever been to a First Shot event in Mass.?

What are some of the ways you introduced your significant other to shooting?

www.firstshots.org

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
My girlfriend is a very small girl and was extremely intimidated at first. In fact, when we were shopping for the M&P she wouldn't even hold it in the gun shop. All that changed with our first trip to the range. Now she has shot an M&P 9 and 40, an HK 40, and a 990L 40 compact. I'm not going to say that she is a fanatic like most of us but she definitely enjoys her trips. She even wants an M&P compact for herself. In summation I would say the most important thing is establishing a level of comfort. For her at least, this occurred when she realized the boom doesn't happen without the trigger coming back. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
573 Posts
LockNLoad

I got my wife interested in shooting about 4 years ago. I would recommend starting off with a small caliber like a .22. If her interest is going to be with handguns, then buy or rent a good .22 pistol. The ammo is cheap, there is hardly any recoil, and it isn't a loud as the centerfire pistols. Try to find a good class where she can learn the basics...the NRA has great programs for women.

My wife now carries a M&P9 compact on a daily basis. She often outshoots me at the range and has become very proficient, even in the dark using a flashlight.

Good Luck and be prepared to spend a few bucks on her new hobby!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
My wife started with a .22 revolver. I have taught many new shooters the basics with my wife's S&W 317. It is an excellent gun for beginners.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you cheat on her, she'd take it up instantly

:wink:

My wife started with me when we took our original safety course in 1995. I had military experience before that so I always had an interest. Well we both sat dormant for about 10 years until her licence came up for renewal and we said we should start it up now that we have some more disposable income and a little more free time. We joined a club and now after about 10 times she's loving it. She never shot a gun until the safety course (16 hours) where she shot a little from about 5 or six guns. The club I am in forces all probationary memeber to start with a .22 and you need to qualify with that. 20 shots, single handed, 25 yards, all 20 shots must hit a 35cm target. At the beginning she was nervous but now never wants to miss a Thursday night at the range. Since we both qualified last week on the 22 (also need at least 8 visits before qualifying) we are moving upto the club .38's. After a month (or about 4 to 5 visits) with these we will be likely 'allowed' to move up the the large caliber of the 9mm, .40's and .45's. We have already bought our guns and are waiting for our ATT's. She has bought the Walther P99 (9mm) and I got the M&P .40 cal. We should have our ATT's in about a week which actually allows us to pick up the guns from the Gun Shop and have the "Authorization To Transport" them home legally. Once we have qualified at the club, we'll get out permanent ATT's which will give us the permission to carry the guns to and from the club only.

What I would do is convince her that it is an activity you can do together and experience together. Start her off slow with proper instruction and safety without pressure. For God Sakes don't give her a .45 and say "shoot it baby, you can do it" :oops:

My wife also is competitive so once she starts something she always wants to do her best and therefore it becomes a personal achievement which can be very satisfying. It won't happen overnight but she was extremely happy the other night when we looked at her first target shot at the club and 6 out of 50 shots hit the target :!: Now she's upto about a 95% hit ratio on a 12" target at 25 yards.....a big improvement! We are also planning on some remedial and accuracy courses in the New Year south of the border.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with Arizona Smithshooter 100%. When I first started seeing my wife she wasn't too excited about shooting. I dedicated a 9mm pistol that I had to her a CZ75B and she did really well with it. Then one day we were at fun shoot and I had one a .45 racegun. Figuring that the gun had a comp. and I loaded light loads the gun would be fine for her. And, having the dot on the gun would make it easier for her to hit the targets. Boy, was I wrong. The gun first off was too heavy for her so she could barely hold it up and the recoil was too much for her. Top that off that she was in front of dozens of people she was not happy. She didn't go back to the range with me for almost 2 years to shoot. I then bought her a .22 pistol that I let her pick out and now she comes with me from time to time and even enjoys it. She even brags to her family and friends joking around saying "don't mess with me I have a gun."

Pete

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks fellas for the sage advice! With the help of y'all from this board, she'll be an avid shooter like the members of this board. I think you guys are right about the .45, the recoil will be a bit much for her. At first she was interested in the XD .45 and the SW 1911 series. I told her she has to crawl or at least walk before she runs. Hopefully I can rent the Walther P22 and the M&P Comp. 9. I think highly of both. After ranting about the XD .45, I told her I'm going to have to stop leaving the gun magazines (publications) laying around. :oops:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I actually bought her a P22. It's not the best gun though. It is very ammo sensitive and only likes to feed the CCI Stingers. When we first got it it would jam after every 2nd shot and my wife was ready to give up. I took the gun with a ton of different ammo until I found one that worked. The Stingers were key and now the gun is fine. I personally can't shoot this gun for crap but she likes it so that's all that matters.

I would def. recommend a .22 or a 9mm for her for a first gun. Just don't get her a subcompact as it will be much harder to shoot and recoil will be felt much more. The M&P 9mm would be a good choice.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PistolPete said:
I actually bought her a P22. It's not the best gun though. It is very ammo sensitive and only likes to feed the CCI Stingers. When we first got it it would jam after every 2nd shot and my wife was ready to give up. I took the gun with a ton of different ammo until I found one that worked. The Stingers were key and now the gun is fine. I personally can't shoot this gun for crap but she likes it so that's all that matters.

I would def. recommend a .22 or a 9mm for her for a first gun. Just don't get her a subcompact as it will be much harder to shoot and recoil will be felt much more. The M&P 9mm would be a good choice.

Interesting! I've heard that the P22 was ammo sensitive. I didn't know that about the comp. 9, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I agree with PistolPete about the M&P 9 fullsize. That's what my girlfriend started out with and she loves it. Very little recoil but enough of a bang that it's still fun to shoot. She doesn't care for shooting the .22s, as they are not very gratifying. You don't want something that's going to scare her away but you still want her to be able to shred some targets. :wink:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Women shooting

Well as I was sitting here reading the post to my hubby, he agreed that woman that shoot are sexy. He wanted me to tell you agrees 100%. I find that I am a better shooter with a larger caliber for some reason. I qualified for me CCW with a Glock 32 .357, I was the only female there and they were very impressed. I think the reason I shoot a larger caliber better is because I have large hands and smaller guns do not fit in my hand good. that is one reason I fell in love with the M&P, and I like the large back strap the best.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I didn't know what a gun was untill I met my wife. I was a urban prep and she was a poor redneck country girl fresh out of the USMC when we met. Her and her brother tought me gun saftey and how to shoot on her dad's farm. What a blast. I was one lucky guy.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE TO MY PRIOR POST

I took my fiance to a NRA Basic Pistol training about 2 weeks ago. It was real cool, I actually learned some things that I forgot about. This was her first firearm experience. She shot the Ruger Mark III far better than I. She beat me 4 out of 5 turns (10 round per turn). My inner competitive ego started to get the best of me, I was giving her the thumbs up but secretly hoping for 2 or 3 shots out of the bullseye. :twisted:

After warming up on the Ruger, I brought out the M&P. We had a blast! (pun intended) We put 200 rounds through the M&P 9 fullsize and compact. I had the edge on the 9mm bullseye, but she shot very well. :wink:

Interesting enough she actually preferred the fullsize to the compact.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I first met my girlfriend she was afraid of guns. I convinced her to shoot my .22 rifle and she enjoyed it. When I got my M&P she was nervous but I taught her how to handle it safely and now she enjoys it. The best part was the other night when we were at our local Sportsmans Warehouse and she was asking the guy behind the counter to show her a couple of pistols (go figure she asks to see one of the most expensive ones) and talking about applying for her CWP.

·
Registered
31 Posts
LockNLoad said:
Hi Everyone,

What are some of the ways you introduced your significant other to shooting?

With her friend and the M&P 9c at the range. I spent the first 30 minutes on general gun safety and operation of the M&P. She picked it up quickly. She had a grand time and wants to do it again.

Also I feel more comfortable now leaving her with a loaded weapon during my long business trips.

·
Registered
115 Posts
What ever you

Do.. when it comes time to picking out a pistol for her.. Let HER pick it... I know i tried to do the "this one would be better".. and my wife went along with it, then she seemed to loose interest, I asked her why, duh.. she really didn't like the pistol. So we sold that one and back to the show we went and i let "her" pick out the one she wanted.. much better results this time..

Glad you found a young lady that enjoys shooting.. Make it a "Night out for the two of you" kind of thing, always helpful in a relationship if you do stuff together..

Good luck, go slow..

Mouse.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts