MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new M&P 40. For some reason, I can not seem to get the tool out of the bottom of the pistol. Three full grown men have tried and it just seems to be stuck. Did anyone else have this problem? I know it sounds stupid, but I'd really like to try the large grip. Aside from that, damn nice gun. And yes, its my first "real gun" other than the .22 LR revolver I have.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Take one of your mags and use it to turn the tool a quarter turn. Once that is done it will pull straight out. It will be hard the first time, but gets much easier after it has been removed once.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've pulled mine out four times so far... it's still tight but it's getting looser.

I use the basepad of the mag to turn it. I hold the mag fully in my hand, place the bottom of the basepad along the full width of the tool and the mag horizontal across the open mag well, and then I turn the whole thing like a large lever.

It took me a few tries to figure out how to "use one of your mags to get it out" so I figured I would give you more detail on what worked for me.

MI_Jester

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not needed.

I really don't see any need for the tool. I've used a bunch of different things from my pinky to a chopstick to push the lever down. If you don't want to be bothered trying to pull it out just use something else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive taken it apart many a time without the tool and cleaned it before I went to the range Saturday. I just want to try the larger handgrip which requires removing the tool.

Jester, Thanks. definately doesnt sound like our method. And they said three heads are better than one.

By the way, only 135 rounds through but damn it shoots nice. Took WWB 165 gr. and Gold Dot (Speer I think) 180 gr. JHP w/out any problems. I'm glad I finally bought a pistol and I'm thinkin I made a good choice.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
Changing the backstrap is the only real need to remove the tool. Another trick you can use is to remove the magazine, use the edge of a table as a lever to turn it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Has anyone else noticed the little black retention on the tool getting fudged up? mine is getting all disfigured and I'm afraid its gonna break off sometime in the future!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
First time I pulled my mag out, I almost knocked myself out as my hand along with the tool came flying off the bottom of the gun and towards my face. I think they use epoxy to put it in from the factory

What I would do, is twist the tool with my hands (I wasn't a member of the board when I first bought my M&P months ago, so I didn't know about this "mag trick") and firmly place it between my knees. Holding the gun with my knees, i'd take two towels or something nice and thick (because it seem to want to dig into my fingers to the point of bleeding) and grab each side of the tool and yank as hard as I could... finally it would come out. After about 20 times of just doing that to let it loosen up, it has become very easy to pull out, and take no more effort then you'd think it should. However, i've noticed wear on the plastic parts of the tools of both of my guns... I think wearing it down some is the key to getting the tool out comfortably, but in a way that it is meant to be worn (i.e. don't just go rough it up w/ sandpaper or something, but let the gun wear it to where it is form-fit... if you know what I mean).

·
Registered
498 Posts
Flyin_.45 said:
Has anyone else noticed the little black retention on the tool getting fudged up? mine is getting all disfigured and I'm afraid its gonna break off sometime in the future!

My little black "notches" have completely come off at this point. Tool works way better now, I thought it might have trouble holding it in place after that, but nope it's great. If it bothers you the replacement tools are like $1.10.

·
Registered
936 Posts
G56 said:
Changing the backstrap is the only real need to remove the tool. Another trick you can use is to remove the magazine, use the edge of a table as a lever to turn it.

ding ding ding!

We have a winner!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Also, make sure you are ONLY turning a 1/4 turn. I have seen a few folks turning it 180 degrees. That makes it real tuff to get it out...

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
tsix said:
Also, make sure you are ONLY turning a 1/4 turn. I have seen a few folks turning it 180 degrees. That makes it real tuff to get it out...
Absolutely!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Mag as a turnig tool, beauty! Got to remember that one... Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to everyone for the help. I finally got it out last night. After all that, I hate the large back strap. Mediums back on and I don't think that stupid tool is coming out again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts