MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate the idea of having to use a tool to field strip the gun and I couldn't get my fat pinkie to snag the sear disconnect for takedown. So I locked the slide back, insured the gun was clear, inserted empty mag, turned the takedown lever, released the slide lock, eased the slide forward, pulled the trigger, removed the mag, and then slid the slide right off the front. Didn't have to fuss with the little yellow sear disconnect at all! Am I gonna break something doing this?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Answer: You might.

Try your best to align the slide to where it should rest normally before pulling the trigger, you can feel the resistance at the trigger. IE, apply slight rearward pressure.

EDIT to mention - I never use the silly little lever, I clear my weapon and pull the trigger. No broken striker as of yet.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you have the mag safety, your method works fine. If you don't, clear your gun, pull slide back, twist takedown lever, drop slide, press trigger remove slide. The yellow lever is an answer in search for a question.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
If I'm cleaning some guns I've got all kinds of tools sitting right in front of me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sounds llike you have a mag safety which can be removed. I have no mag safety and have no reason to mess with that little lever since it will be pressed down once the slide moves foward.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
bluethunder said:
Can't you use the grip retention pin?

If you shoot much and clean as often as you should you will wear out the grip retention pin in short order. Use a tooth pick, piece of grass , your pinky or just about anything except the grip retention pin. IMHO

:twisted:

·
Registered
264 Posts
My only concern would be the striker. When I dry fire my 9 withuot a snap cap in place, there is a very heavy metallic sound, like pretty hard metal on metal contact. No such sound when dry firing a Glock, XD or using a snap cap. So I am wary of dry firing without any caps in place. I also dont like using the grip retention tool as its a lady to get out. Fortunately, my pinky is small enough to reach the lever. If not, you can use a piece of brass, pocket knife, toothpick, the ear piece from your safety glasses, knife, fork.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
bam-bam said:
The grip retention pin makes a great nose picker. Good for getting the deep ones!

Just remember not to turn the grip retention pin while in use or it may lock it into the nose....

:wink:

Hub

1 - 15 of 15 Posts